New Horizon Development | Coming Q1 2020

Hello everyone, in case you've missed the latest about New Horizon. Check out the early release article that's out now. Also I can't emphasize enough, how important the cooperation of the community was during development of this new dark fantasy title. NH is proof your feedback was heard. Little by little it helped mold this 180 page all-in-core book. Because I believe that's what a serious and responsible developer should do.

It wasn't 48 hrs post launch, and NH was there <3

EDlr8ryWkAAaAfI.jpg

• By now, you must be asking yourself, is NH the right game for you!?
  • What to expect?
  • How does the exclusive rule system work?

What influences did NH have? You'd be surprised, D&D comes to make very minimum influence when it comes to the game. Aside from the genre it spawned, there's little similarities to the behemoth. Checks are performed in a different way, and it really cuts through a lot of the nonsense while trying to bring you a more straight forward experience, imposing its own system complexities. (Ludens 2.0)

Its predecessor shortcomings, were pretty much eradicated thanks to lgs 2.0 being a complete overhaul. I had to filter through a lot of naughty word to get the system working so smoothly, it is the heart of the game and no matter what anyone says about "systems can't be copyrighted" copying my system is totally illegal. That's why I don't show it off publicly, there is nothing to hide, and everything to protect.

Licensing is free by the way, you can visit the game's website and request one at any time. You'll be checked for credentials, and have full support, including endorsements without paying me a penny. I don't want to be made rich off NH, just make enough to keep developing games. And that's where the problem lies with competitors, everyone wants to be the big kid on the block. And I could careless in that aspect, you see NH catching less hate because it costs $9.99 instead of $1. But what if, I made the game available to you for just $1? 180 pages, all-in-one, a shitload of licensed illustrations that make the setting even more alive. That would be nice! But it's not happening. Why? because my time is valuable. And those who can afford the game, are less likely to act like idiots, so I can really focus on them, instead of those who pay little and like to complain a lot.

You won't need to perform random checks to perform mundane tasks a five year old could do. The game doesn't just pit you against enemies all the time. There's a great deal of exploring and actions you can do that don't involve combat. Persuasion, bribing, vacationing, starting a family, buying a home, professions, weekly earnings, diseases, and so much more. Take part in a great war, instead of just raiding dungeons. Politics play a major role in adjusting tax rates, etc... If you have played the classic K&L, forget it! New Horizon is the naughty word beast, and I mean it. You won't regret it...

How did it all begin...

The interesting thing about Knights & Legends is, the game was designed for a very different purpose. Back in Summer 2014, I was drafting ideas for a wargame, it didn't even have a title, just a medieval setting in mind, as I am clearly a medieval enthusiast! From the old castles to the ancient myths, and from the old tales to the shitholes. The idea of a man wearing armor, and slaying beats always fascinated me. Life is short, and I felt like this was one of my callings. A gifted story teller, I was often told. Why not give it a try? I had nothing to lose from it.

In 2016, the final game was very impractical and costly, the game itself came in a diorama-like setup in a 18x24 wooden board. After all the stuff was added to it, the damn thing weighted over 30lbs. Just shipping alone would cost a small fortune. $800 to make, with a planned selling value of $1200 + shipping. Limited to US orders only. Something not a lot of people would buy into. Unless you're a collector of sorts. It did look pretty! It still sits at my kitchen counter, until I find a worthy spot for it. I like to sit and appreciate it from time to time. Hardly use it to play these days, trying to conserve it.

I needed something easier to distribute, that's when a light bulb popped over my head! I was away from the trpg scene for a few years before the TSR days, did some quick research of the market and saw people were still playing trpgs in the US, which was very surprising. Then I came to realize the market had a bit of a rebirth in the last few years, this was the perfect opportunity for me to jump in and catch up on the latest. Before that, I was working on a 3D RPG game that was cancelled due to the team's scheduling conflicts. Few months later the thought came to mind, a trpg is something a can deliver all by myself, while keeping it very cost efficient. Best part, digital!

And so the process of adapting classic K&L into a TRPG begun. I was taking my time, I was in no rush. When I started testing the waters, I saw this wasn't going to be so easy. Oh boy! the hostility a caught on Reddit, would have crushed a lesser man. Bottom line is, you can't be a legit game designer if you don't have your head on your shoulders. The title "Game Designer" is taken so lightly these days, that everyone considers themselves to be one. Try going to RPGG, what a joke! It's crazy! People go to college for this, it's not something to be taken lightly. Game design is no walk in the park, and if you can say you had it easy, them you're likely not a real game designer. Or One in a million perhaps?

In 2018, classic K&L debuted as a DTRPG exclusive. The game was fairly simple and straight forward, It had an unnamed set of rules that was later (2019) named Ludens Game System. The system's goal, was to break apart from the generic D&D clones that over saturate the market today. Nothing against it, just not my thing. As anything you build from scratch, it will likely need more work done to perfect it. Once you try it long enough, you begin noticing certain flaws that were previously invisible to the eye.

Today, that simple system, became a whole different beast. Ludens 2.0, is New Horizon's exclusive game system, to be used only with New Horizon related products. And to expand its reaches, the game licensing module drastically changed from paid, to free with permission. The Knights & Legends legacy didn't happen overnight. The sooner you get into it, the better. Complexities will only increase from now on. Everyone knows that can be pretty intimidating for newcomers, so join it now. Just do it!

Being Historically Accurate Was A Must

A great amount of attention was put into details, from beginning to end. One of my favorite things about New Horizon is, the game is loaded with metaphors, which can very well translate into real life circumstances. Believe it or not, the game could actually help shape and mold you into a better person. It puts great emphasis in being historically accurate in many ways. Medieval times, weren't as pleasant as many of us think it used to be. Today we have fat children playing LARP, when in reality a person so out of shape, would have little to no chance of surviving combat. No armor would fit them, and if it did, it would likely weight from 1.5 to 2.0 times more the weight of regular armor, which was already pretty limiting itself. New Horizon, truly makes you feel like you're living in the middle-ages, in a world very similar to our Earth. The game pushes you to explore the outdoors more often than dungeons. I've been to a few dungeons in person. With the latest being, 2 hours south from Lima, Peru. You don't have the space to swing a sword in most of them, the passageways are narrow, and if you're over 6 feet tall you'd get some real neck pain. There are dark places to explore, don't get me wrong. You could descend into tombs and catacombs, caverns, etc... All of that made with hopes of motivating you, to one day really go out there and do some exploring of your own.

And these are just few of the things that make New Horizon so unique and special, compared to other games out there. Let's not forget the new survival system, that was put into place to help make your character truly feel alive. Not eating or drinking, could mean certain death. Below, is also a small example of how the final product turned out to be. If you've been following this thread for a while, then you certainly remember the old bestiary page from draft.

pg.53-Bestiary.jpg

The Power Of Fandom

Before getting started on the latest subject,
Here's a reminder to catch me live on WED 9/11 7:30pm - 9:30 Central Time (8:30pm EST) @ #RamdomWorlds Chat with the one and only, Dan Davenport.

Understanding how the world works. What controls the world?

Middle-Ages = Religion

Old-Modern World = Politics

Today's World = Media

There's a war out for your minds, that's a undeniable fact.
Are you a tool? How often do you ask yourself that?
How often do you allow others to manipulate you into thinking something, without checking the facts?

Think long and hard, do you like or dislike something because others influenced you into doing so?
Do you still have a mind of your own!?

If you want true freedom, just follow the wraith. It's more than just a picture, it's a gateway to knowledge. Knowledge I shall bestow upon you, if you dare to walk with me.

Want to see how the Q&A with Dan went? Check it out folks!
Dan was a great host. 2 hours went by in the blink of an eye.

As seen here: A BRIGHT NEW HORIZON – NEW HORIZON BY FELIX, J.

Today I'm very happy to announce some great news revolving the game, and classic K&L too! Let's begin with the latest happening with New Horizon.

On Sep, 15th I went ahead to published the New Horizon Collector's Ed. What does it mean for buyers and where does the title stand? Well, let's start with the pros of each edition.

Do you get more stuff with the collector's edition?
The answer to that is, NO! I believe everyone should have access to the same content of the game regardless if you paid more or less.

The collector's edition is designed for elitists who wish to show their full support. Naturally, you'll benefit from a premium hardcopy of the game. Below is a comparison of both, digital and print.

Comparison-1.jpg

Feel free to look at it at your own time. As for the digital edition of New Horizon, I'm happy to tell you it has been reinstate to the DTRPG store following feedback from fans which took their time to drop me a few e-mails explaining concerns of the title going non-exclusive. I really appreciate your feedback and I assure you as a responsible developer I'm with my fans, always! I thank you for your support.

Please don't forget to share the news, it's one of the best ways to show your love for the game. I'm just a guy following my passion, I don't need spotlighting on me, just the game. :)

Let's talk about classic K&L: Shadow Lords, Lost Relics, Rogue Priest, and Revelation-V

The titles mentioned above were temporarily removed from the DTRPG store as they will be readapted to play with the Ludens 2.0 system. If you've already purchased the titles. It will be available to you for free!

There's no time frame to as of when the classics will be back, but they'll debut in the order they were first launched. So expect Shadow Lords Rewritten in the near future!

Thank you for your continuous support!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases