• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New L&L for 22/1/13 D&D Next goals, part 3

Li Shenron

Legend
All sounds good!!

I like how they keep wanting to make it work when DM and players choose different levels of complexity at the same table, and that they mention it should be easy to dial on individual elements on the game for "mixing" basic with standard.

I wonder what is left for advanced tho :) Obviously modules, a few in core and the rest in supplementary books, but mixing basic & standard already sounds like advanced to me.

gyor

Legend
Advanced rules could be Legacies, 4e paragon paths, 4e player complexity, 2e Specialty Priest level customization. Maybe a few really out there classes/races. Of course I was certain the next class to be released would be the Paladin, instead its the Barbarian :p I am curious about the Barbarian. Sadly no pactet.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Sounds like they should be looking at 1e/2e style multiclassing to deliver the stated aims of balanced characters that are effective without making the GM regret allowing them. 3e stlye multiclassing is much more problematic.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm still at work but one thing jumps to mind and I can't wait any longer: Barbarian is a background Berserker is a class.

Warder

There's quite a lot of opinions around on this topic, and that alone is a symptom that there is not a single way to bring these character concept into the game.

For what it's worth, I wanted Barbarian to be a human subrace, and berserker a theme, but I prefer a Barbarian class than a background. We might see all of these at some point, if not from WotC then from other publishers.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm still at work but one thing jumps to mind and I can't wait any longer: Barbarian is a background Berserker is a class.

Warder
Having "Barbarian isn't a class" arguments is as necessary a part of D&D as "Why can't Paladins be any alignment" arguments. Those restrictions have to exist so we have something to argue about.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Re: New L&L for 22/1/13 D&D Next goals, part

If they pull this off, I will be thrilled for the future existence of D&D. Great goals, hard to achieve. I find 3e character creation annoyingingly complex....personally I hope there is a character builder.

Li Shenron

Legend
If they pull this off, I will be thrilled for the future existence of D&D. Great goals, hard to achieve.

In a way, a lot of gaming groups have actually pull the same off since 3e and even earlier. What has been traditionally missing, is a way to downsize complexity since the start... normally you had to accept the starting complexity level of the core, and you could only increase it. Decreasing it is always more difficult.

I find 3e character creation annoyingingly complex....personally I hope there is a character builder.

5e character creation as in the playtest packages is slightly more complex, but they've made it clear by now that the playtest has quite a lot MORE than the basic game.

Remove ads