• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New L&L for 22/1/13 D&D Next goals, part 3

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Yeah, I've not finished all the Black Company novels. Did the first two Tor Omnibus editions, which gets me to Dreams of Steel.

But, I think Pemerton's point is valid. Yes, the planning goes on, but, it's never on camera. It's almost always glossed over. Heck, look at how little is planned when they do finally go South. They basically just start walking and things snowball from there.

I'm not saying they plan everything, that's not sensible for anyone. Croaker figured the Company was effectively dead when he headed South. However,...

Where exactly is off-camera in an rpg? I think that's one of the big media divides between gaming and other media. I mean, doing a planning montage at a D&D table is basically doing the planning (and possibly making a roll or two). I can't think of many traditional rpgs where you simulate it without actually having "done" it. I suppose FATE with the right aspects and stunts. Leverage works that way with "flashback" scenes, if I understand it correctly. Those are the only ones I'm familiar with that even come close to being traditional D&D-style rpgs. Having a power or character ability that allows you say "Shadows you say? Lucky I spent the last year making all these Fireball Projectors!", without having actually mentioned it before, doesn't seem very like D&D (any edition) to me.

Whether the Black Company is S&S greatly depends on whose definition of S&S you consider. Certainly they are a far cry from bare-chested barbarians and slave-princess bosoms-heaving, but on the other hand there is Sorcery and certainly plenty of Swords. To take up [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] 's notes above, BC doesn't exactly engage in very deep or pure S&S cynicism or materialism, even though its certainly modern. The only characters who could easily be said to be "masters of their own fate" are some of the more powerful wizards. On the other hand, its not like people have a bunch of epic destinies lying around to fulfill either. Spoiler:
I'm not sure if what eventually happens to Croaker counts as transcendence or not.

Now, where I will absolutely agree with you is in what I consider the picayune areas of planning like equipment and encumbrance. If we're going to spend game-time on something, I want it to be something interesting. Plan the assault, make a magic item, even acquire or produce important mudane items. That's all good with me. Is that 7th flask of oil is worth the movement hit? Can I afford the Iron Spikes?....no thanks. Just pointless. Even worse, its often the part of character creation that takes the longest. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet, but I'm thinking the next time I run D&D, characters will just make some kind of "provision" or "preparation" check to come up with the lesser paraphernalia of adventuring. It works quite well in those more relaxed games, and I'd be delighted to see D&D move in that direction.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I think of instincts in BW, resources conjured during an action scene in Marvel Heroic, and similar things. In D&D you would definitely need to move away from its tradition of concrete equipment lists.

I agree. I'm guessing that making changes to D&D at that level would invoke "Its not D&D!" from a large segment of the audience, though.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I don't like the sound of a "provision" or "preparation" check but I don't mind giving the PCs pregened equipment packs to start off the game.

Hussar

Legend
Oh, no. I didn't mean that at all. Just that the Conan stories aren't really Master and Commander style stories, or George RR Martin for that matter. Man, that guy does like his food. Pages and pages of descriptions of the bloody feasts. :D Conan and other pulp heroes are more known for their "Man of Action" style than police procedural.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads