D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

Mallus

Legend
Let’s grant the $30 highest-tier price is accurate. It’s still clickbait.

The real questions are: is there a free tier and if so, how robust is it?

What’s the standard tier subscription cost?

Will there still be library sharing? Can a single group member share all their purchased content?

You probably shouldn’t judge a video game’s price by the super-special collectors edition price. There’s plenty to be critical of in this ongoing cluster…frack, but’s let’s keep a sober eye, eh?

Reynard

Legend
People value dollars differently, based on any number of factors (not just how much disposable income they have). For example, I tend to put entertainment dollars at $5/hour aka what I would pay to see a movie in the theater. If I was not entertained, I would be irritated. if I was, I would be okay. So, for me personally, if I got 6 solid hours of real entertainment during the month for those $30, I would be okay (if I was inclined to want to pay for D&D Beyond, which I'm not). Other people might think $1/hour is what they are willing to pay. Or less. I certainly know plenty of people who play D&D and never spend a dime on it (because GMs like me pay for all the things....).

What I find distasteful is people acting actively offended over someone charging more than they would like to pay for a thing. Are they angry that iPhone's are expensive, too? it smacks of a kind of toxic entitlement with which I am not comfortable.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I:m good with the $5.99 that I basically just have so my players can have access to all the races/classes I bought and use the character sheets and so I can look up monsters and spells when away from my books.

I don't think I want much more at the moment. And don't want to pay much more for what I'm getting (increases for inflation are fine).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That's an entirely legitimate opinion based on the information available to us now. Saying that we don't know the full scope of what's being offered doesn't mean that we're wrong, it means that we'll change our minds as we learn more.

It's ok to have a legitimate opinion on a product with incomplete information.

It's not ok to have a strong opinion of a product with almost no information but price. Especially if you don't know what the product is.

That's the problem the community is falling into.

Anyone who pays any kind of monthly fee to play any RPG is a sucker in my book.
That is a fair assessment to have and I might have had it at one point too.
I think it comes down to the individual and what are they willing to pay for to make their life easier, what can they afford or not afford.

I mean one probably shouldn't be paying for a $30 monthly subscription if one is trying get out from the trappings of debt. To be honest, I'm not seriously considering it but I'm imagining if I did, what would I want for such a price.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I mean one probably shouldn't be paying for a $30 monthly subscription if one is trying get out from the trappings of debt. To be honest, I'm not seriously considering it but I'm imagining if I did, what would I want for such a price.

I find that my mental ability to judge relative prices is really anchored in the past.

How much is it to go bowling now? Mini-putt?

What is a burger, fries, and drink at a fast food place? Decent burger place?

How much is the pizza and soft drinks while playing?

Edit: Have you seen how much comic books are!?!?

Reynard

Legend
I find that my mental ability to judge relative prices is really anchored in the past.

How much is it to go bowling now? Mini-putt?

What is a burger, fries, and drink at a fast food place? Decent burger place?

How much is the pizza and soft drinks while playing?

Edit: Have you seen how much comic books are!?!?
Exactly this. Let's not even talk about what eggs cost right now...

Remove ads