D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
It's $30 for a quasi video game + what amounts to a digital magazine + who knows what else, this is the top tier, we don't know how much the lower tiers will cost.
I wouldn't get my hopes up for a lower priced tier containing anything useful (no homebrew, lol). This is the company that charges $1,000 for 4 packs for randomized cards that aren't even legal.

Dausuul

Legend
I'm... awfully skeptical, but it's interesting that the pricing in the rumor lines up with the supposed 'leaked D&DBeyond slide' from awhile back: link.
"Removing homebrew from free users eliminates paid content piracy."

Wizards will shortly be receiving a C&D from a bunch of record companies back in 2005, for ripping off their patented "screw your customers and yourself" business model.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™

Wizards will shortly be receiving a C&D from a bunch of record companies back in 2005, for ripping off their patented "screw your customers and yourself" business model.
They never learn.

Just like removing my legally purchased PDFs from my DTRPG library put a stop to all illegal D&D PDFs.

I mean, assuming this is all true, which I remain skeptical of - they’ve essentially reinvented Zork. Turning D&D into a MMO feels silly, as… we already have MMOs.

Dausuul

Legend
I mean, assuming this is all true, which I remain skeptical of - they’ve essentially reinvented Zork. Turning D&D into a MMO feels silly, as… we already have MMOs.
At this point I assume all leaks are true until proven otherwise. This whole debacle has been a stream of "Pfft, that's gotta be fake, nobody could be that dumb," only to find out later that... yes, they really could.

Stalker0

Legend
Ok all, I get it, we are all on the WOTC = evil train right now, but if your going to listen to the leaks, you have to take them at full value.

The leak said this is the HIGHEST TIER, and includes monthly content drops. So....that's a wait and see, what do other structures look like, is there a free version, is the $30 per month just glistening with content....we simply do not know.

Lets be clear, in the age of streaming, OF COURSE WOTC is going to try to setup more monthly subscription money, they would be IDIOTS not to. That is where the corporate bread is buttered nowadays, and it potentially frees them from the cycle of endless editions in order to sell books. So if your getting mad at them for that....sorry but your living in the past.

Ultimately the devil will be in the details. If they offer you several reasonable options and people choose a lesser one, great. Maybe the $30 option will be amazing, and worth the money....maybe it won't (in which case, of course don't buy it). But to say the meer idea of this is rotten at the core....sorry that is completely jumping the gun.

Clint_L

Hero
It would depend on what I got for $30/month. I currently spend a lot more than that on D&D, so does that include a fully stocked VTT, for example, which might tempt me to spend less on miniatures and terrain ($30/month is nothing compared to what I spend in that department)? In any event, $30/month is a lot less than I currently spend on various entertainment each month. So I would appraise what was on offer (digital magazine? No thanks) and make my purchase accordingly, like I do for everything else.

But out of context, $30/month doesn't mean anything.

Remove ads