D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think its ironic that the generation that walked to school, opened the windows to cool the house, mowed the lawn with a push mower, used wind to dry their clothes, solar to heat their water and had almost nothing made of plastic are the ones "destroying the environment".
...Used coal to get electricity, sprayed toxic pesticides on everything and everyone, used asbestos and lead in their houses, threw garbage into the water and in the ground regardless of how toxic it was, used leaded gas in their cars, smelted metals that spewed toxic metal waste into the air, smoked cigarettes like chimneys...

A month ago we didn't think Wizards would be dumb enough to try to revoke the OGL.

So they might actually be dumb enough to move to online only books that they can disappear when they feel like it. A month ago I would have called that kind of thinking dumb as heck, but revoking the OGL is even dumber than that so why not?
The OGL is minor in comparison to getting rid of physicals books which they already stated they have no intention of doing.

Getting rid of physical books would have affected thousands if not millions, getting rid of the OGL would affect around a hundred at most.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The OGL is minor in comparison to getting rid of physicals books which they already stated they have no intention of doing.

Getting rid of physical books would have affected thousands if not millions, getting rid of the OGL would affect around a hundred at most.
The opposite of this.

The exact, direct and very specific opposite of this.

"Oh no, I have to read my funtime hobby books off a screen just like everything else" is NOTHING in comparison to "Oh no, my kids might not get to eat tomorrow."

The opposite of this.

The exact, direct and very specific opposite of this.

"Oh no, I have to read my funtime hobby books off a screen just like everything else" is NOTHING in comparison to "Oh no, my kids might not get to eat tomorrow."
The new OGL would never have cost said kids their food. Given that all the third parties can move away from it without issue.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think many people forget that D&D is a game with a ton of random tables for DMs to roll and generate stuff. A AI DM would just roll a lot of dice and run like a video game after.

Again a lot of D&D obstacles are on/off switches and "I attack" spamming sacks of HP.
It depends on how much connective tissue was put in place.

That's why I referenced the Fighting Fantasy books earlier: If there's an outline taking the adventure from point A to point B, randomizing events along the way and handling combat, an AI can do.

Total freeform? No, not yet.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The new OGL would never have cost said kids their food. Given that all the third parties can move away from it without issue.
I urge you to read further into this situation than what the big (relatively) players are doing and are able to do and look at what is going on in the wider industry. Perhaps with a bit more empathy than has been on display here--or at least the same amount as for people who might have to download a PDF reader to their phone for a game book.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's not how I remember it. I am certain that it was talked about during the lead-up to 5e. And I am not sure what you mean by "they started doing this". Do you mean the Dragonlance "bundle"? That is a different thing than buying a book and getting a PDF for free.
They already started doing this. (It was never promised for 5e, they just said they were starting and did.)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It depends on how much connective tissue was put in place.

That's why I referenced the Fighting Fantasy books earlier: If there's an outline taking the adventure from point A to point B, randomizing events along the way and handling combat, an AI can do.

Total freeform? No, not yet.
So no shenanigans and no going off the rails, basically. So not even getting close to the experience of actually playing a tabletop RPG.

Remove ads