D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

I've been preparing for that in Fantasy Grounds. I'm not sure I'm yet to the point of thinking it inevitable, but I would be remiss for not having contingencies.
I could be wrong. It is just a stupid guess on my part. They might sign exclusive deals with FG and Roll20 for all I know. They just may not give them full access to other newer content. Who knows?

mamba

Legend
Um...maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Do you think WotC will maintain their licensing agreement with Roll20 once their VTT is up and running?
no, I am not expecting it, I just wish they would. Compete on the strength of your VTT, not by shutting out competition.

At the money WotC is spending on it, that should be easy enough to do

enrious

I could be wrong. It is just a stupid guess on my part. They might sign exclusive deals with FG and Roll20 for all I know. They just may not give them full access to other newer content. Who knows?
I think in the past there was a clear incentive for them to sign licensing deals with both (and I know of other vtts that were selling authorized versions of at least the core books).

Going forward if they have their own, I'm not sure that will be the case and while presumably that wouldn't affect ny existing wotc content, I dount the folks with official pdfs back on '08 thought so either.

That's my main worry when it comes to FG, not being unable to buy new D&D content but rather losing the existing content that I have. The OGL status at that point is secondary, especially if a 3pp 5e compatible srd comes out.

Welverein

Villager
Oh come on. This is Master Thespian levels of drama now.

$30/ month would be twice the cost of a current WoW subscription (which hasn't moved up in quite a while). It's high, but at $15-$20, we are in the competitive and reasonable zone for a monthly MMO game subscription.

DDB doesn't offer "homebrew" on its lowest tier right now. You don't get that feature without a paid subscription right now. That has been the case for years. Absolutely NOBODY complained about this or suggested it was patently unreasonable.

I have been saying all along this is about WoW money. WotC sees WoW money as "their money" and something they should be able to earn with this IP. They aren't wrong about that.

But this is a crappy way to roll it out.
Right now, I was paying for a master tier and 26 people were able to play with me for free . If it is true woth the new principle, all would have to pay something... you see the difference?

Reynard

Legend
if only we held actual news anchors to the same high standards we expect of youtubers…
Anchors aren't usually journalists (though some are) but they have journalists behind them. Of course, journalism since the advent of 24 hour cable news has gone through its own "click bait" like revolution. The ultimate difference, though, is that in the case of YouTubers, their self aggrandizing, self interested, likes-followers-ad-revue model is built entirely around negative emotions driven by the algorithms under which they work. In seeking clicks, they ignore any consequences of their misinformation. Sometimes the costs are minor, but sometimes they are very real.

Welverein

Villager
I think in the past there was a clear incentive for them to sign licensing deals with both (and I know of other vtts that were selling authorized versions of at least the core books).

Going forward if they have their own, I'm not sure that will be the case and while presumably that wouldn't affect ny existing wotc content, I dount the folks with official pdfs back on '08 thought so either.

That's my main worry when it comes to FG, not being unable to buy new D&D content but rather losing the existing content that I have. The OGL status at that point is secondary, especially if a 3pp 5e compatible srd comes out.
FG communicated at hmthe time of the Dndbeyond.com buy that even if their license is revoke, the term of their contract with WoTC stipulated that everything you bought will stay available to you, and hat they will be able to continue maintaining it.

People value dollars differently, based on any number of factors (not just how much disposable income they have). For example, I tend to put entertainment dollars at $5/hour aka what I would pay to see a movie in the theater. If I was not entertained, I would be irritated. if I was, I would be okay. So, for me personally, if I got 6 solid hours of real entertainment during the month for those $30, I would be okay (if I was inclined to want to pay for D&D Beyond, which I'm not). Other people might think $1/hour is what they are willing to pay. Or less. I certainly know plenty of people who play D&D and never spend a dime on it (because GMs like me pay for all the things....).

What I find distasteful is people acting actively offended over someone charging more than they would like to pay for a thing. Are they angry that iPhone's are expensive, too? it smacks of a kind of toxic entitlement with which I am not comfortable.
iphones are too expensive lmfao. how do you criticize entitlement when making such a privileged post?

Remove ads