D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Interesting possible wrinkle:

Hasbro eventually comes down and tells their subsidiary to cut it out?

Because if any of the OGL cases go to court and are decided against them, especially concerning a clear cut ruling that legally clears stuff like you mentioned above (because you can't copyright rules) that would be very bad for the long term interests of a company like Hasbro. It's better for them that this stuff exists in a legally grey area as it likely deters more attempts to make that sort of thing.
Sort of. But backwards. It’s already legally clear. The OGL convinced a generation of gamers it was legally grey.

But again, in the US anyone can sue anyone else for any reason, so it’s not “safe” to assume. But, if they thought they had a legal leg to stand on, Hasbro would have already sued to end Playdiplomacy and Backstabbr. If the owners of Scrabble…you know HASBRO…thought they had a legal leg to stand on, would have already sued to end Words With Friends.

Haplo781

Legend
The old OGL has issues, legally it could leave WotC possibly liable for content third parties produce. So if they are going to make an irrevocable license it probably needs to be cleaned up first. Just don't be adding royalties and other clauses that are going to piss everyone off. Try to stay true to the old OGL's gentleman's agreement not to take people to court for supporting your brand.

Sure the OGL 1.1 was a cock-up of epic proportions, the apology hasn't been much better (it really seems the people involved do not understand the purpose of the original OGL or the benefits the OGL has given WotC), but I can understand their reasons for a change and can believe not all of them are motivated by greed (although it does seem a lot are), some are clearly about protecting the brand.
I just rolled my eyes so hard I severed the optic nerves

That is a smokescreen, and not at all what all this about. It's just something they can present front and center that they figure everyone will agree with.
the best way to get past a smoke screen is not to fight it... if you guys really think it is just there to make people think it's good... admit it's good and go right past it to the bad.
The issue is that the REAL smoke screen is the argument people are having saying that there should not be that in there if we are getting a change anyway...

Remathilis

Legend
Sure, but they didn't exactly go out of their way in their statement to clearly say that isn't still their intent with "Content already released under 1.0a will also remain unaffected". That's great for content now, but content well into it's development cycle but not yet released? Continued support for existing material? If you're trying to reassure people with a PR statement, a simple and clear "the OGL 1.0a is not going anywhere" is a much firmer stance than they chose to take.
Effectively, you're going to see a split. People who have no need for the 5.x SRD will use orc. Those who do will use OGL 1.x with clearer eyes as to the finality of the license. Some will use both to release different products under each. Some will make their own licenses or use CC.

Horwath

Legend
If you don't want someone printing "White Power the RPG compatible with 5E" it's not just about greed.
hahaha,

what an excuse!

Personally, I would not mind if someone prints a book with "white power" or any other questionable quotes.

I would vote on that book quality by not buying it, as would 99% of gamers.

Now, if you think that you can make money with 1% of audience, go right ahead. I would love to see that dumpster fire burn.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
The old OGL has issues, legally it could leave WotC possibly liable for content third parties produce. So if they are going to make an irrevocable license it probably needs to be cleaned up first
This seems far fetched, to be honest. How could WotC be liable for OGL content?

Remove ads