D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I like your posts and didn't want to laugh at this one because I thought it would be disrespectful, but I wanted to let you know that you made me chuckle. :giggle:
Wel, I mean, it's funny. But seriously, forcing Nazi RPG producers (who it must be noted, do exist) into putting space between their products and D&D...is exactly what WotC is aiming for on this point. Theybcannot stop "White Supramacy the RPG" from existing, but they can make it easier for low information consumers to not get confused about their relationship to WotC.

Wel, I mean, it's funny. But seriously, forcing Nazi RPG producers (who it must be noted, do exist) into putting space between their products and D&D...is exactly what WotC is aiming for on this point. Theybcannot stop "White Supramacy the RPG" from existing, but they can make it easier for low information consumers to not get confused about their relationship to WotC.
In this scenario, I don't think WotC successfully defends their brand image from the White Power "5e" RPG, in any way, by yelling, "They're not compatible! They're not compatible." :D

Still chuckling. :LOL:

Bagpuss

Legend
Is anything stopping anyone from putting that on a book cover under anything that has been leaked or proposed?

This clause...

VIII.H. You will not use any of the content or works covered by Section I for any harmful, discriminatory, illegal, obscene, or harassing purposes.

combined with

i. We may terminate the agreement immediately if:

a. You infringe upon or misuse any of Our intellectual property, violate any law in relation to Your activities under this agreement, or if We determine in Our sole discretion that You have violated Section VIII.G or VIII.H.

Personally I don't like it as it will have a chilling effect on the sorts of adventures that might get published. Can I set something in a world like Dark Suns or Ancient Rome where slavery is common or will that trigger WotC sensibilities, etc. But they are saying it is there so they can police particularly objectionable content, and that is something they have said they want to continue to put into any update OGL they come out with.

Also because they want to do that then they need to revoke OGL1.0a or else they can't enforce any new OGL as people will use the old one.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
This clause...

VIII.H. You will not use any of the content or works covered by Section I for any harmful, discriminatory, illegal, obscene, or harassing purposes.

combined with

i. We may terminate the agreement immediately if:

a. You infringe upon or misuse any of Our intellectual property, violate any law in relation to Your activities under this agreement, or if We determine in Our sole discretion that You have violated Section VIII.G or VIII.H.

Personally I don't like it as it will have a chilling effect on the sorts of adventures that might get published. Can I set something in a world like Dark Suns or Ancient Rome where slavery is common or will that trigger WotC sensibilities, etc. But they are saying it is there so they can police particularly objectionable content, and that is something they have said they want to continue to put into any update OGL they come out with.

Also because they want to do that then they need to revoke OGL1.0a or else they can't enforce any new OGL as people will use the old one.
But folks currently don't need to use the OGL 1.0a to say "Compatible with 5e" and a lot of things with the current OGL 1.0a have nothing to do with 5e, right?

Remove ads