New "Lore On Giants" Preview from Volo's Guide to Monsters

There's a new preview of the upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters available from WotC. This one-page preview contains traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws for NPC giants. This joins the previous preview, which features the book's preface from Volo. The 224-page hardcover book lists stores on November 15th (and, presumably, preferred stores 11 days earlier on November 4th).

There's a new preview of the upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters available from WotC. This one-page preview contains traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws for NPC giants. This joins the previous preview, which features the book's preface from Volo. The 224-page hardcover book lists stores on November 15th (and, presumably, preferred stores 11 days earlier on November 4th).

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 18.36.07.png

SaveSave

flametitan

Explorer
Given that Orcs are going to be a player race it will likley talk about Many Arrows the Orc Kingdom in the forgotten Realms that is pretty interesting.

Perhaps we'll get a definitive answer as to whether they broke up like the novels state or if they haven't, like the MM and SCAG imply. (I'm leaning towards the idea that they've broken up, as much as I'd rather the idea of an orc kingdom that's trying to uphold talks with the outside world while the individual clans that make up the kingdom seem to disobey the idea of holding peace treaties)

Given that Orcs are going to be a player race it will likley talk about Many Arrows the Orc Kingdom in the forgotten Realms that is pretty interesting.

In 3e, FR Orcs were divided into three subraces - Gray (eastern), Mountain (northern), and Deep (Orogs). It will be interesting to see if we'll see the Gray/Mountain split, and how that would translate over to 5e races. In Races of Faerun, excluding negatives which we don't see in 5e races, Gray Orcs got +2 STR and +2 WIS, while Mountain Orcs got +4 STR. I can definitely see a 5e Gray Orc getting +2 STR and +1 WIS, but would they go and give 5e Mountain Orcs +3 STR? (Basically all Orcs would get +2 STR, Gray Orcs would get +1 WIS and Mountain Orcs would get an additional +1 STR). That would bring up the specter of characters potentially having over 20 in a stat, but that would make for an interesting exception (and if we're going to have playable firbolgs, I can't see how they wouldn't be able to break 20 in STR as well...)

Last edited by a moderator:

happyhermit

Adventurer
MM2 essentially means "More of the same". Maybe the math is better, maybe a few cool new monsters, but all the most popular monsters were in the MM unless they deliberately held things back to spread out and sell more books.

More of the same is not necessarily bad but it usually does little to improve the game in general. Sure there are some people who at least think that their enjoyment of actually playing the game will be substantially improved by simply adding more monsters in an official source book... but then this book does that too.

A different type of monster book has a greater chance of improving more people's games so I think it's a great choice and I am MUCH more interested in it than a MM2.

Perhaps we'll get a definitive answer as to whether they broke up like the novels state or if they haven't, like the MM and SCAG imply. (I'm leaning towards the idea that they've broken up, as much as I'd rather the idea of an orc kingdom that's trying to uphold talks with the outside world while the individual clans that make up the kingdom seem to disobey the idea of holding peace treaties)

Appearntly it did not break up. Pretty much it moved out of the Silver Marches as they were no longer welcome. But have been rebuilding in the Spine of the world area under the current King Lorgru now Obould XVIII.

Dualazi

First Post
Fluff is more useful then stats. Take out all the fluff from a monster and it's just a set of numbers, with no identity. The fluff makes the monster what it is. Not the stats.

Not at all true. Strip away the names and lore and no one would mistake a Mind Flayer for a dragon, nor a beholder for a giant. One of the most common complaints about the 5e MM is how bland the monsters are, and you could craft a finely made novel spanning the history of the species, their culture, and their origins, but if that monster has a basic multiattack and nothing else it’s still bland and uninteresting, in my opinion.

On the flipside, a mechanically interesting creature can be interesting without regards to how much or how little you know about it. Plus, I would hazard a guess that it’s easier for people to think up fluff for things than it is to create comprehensive or smooth rules, so I’m firmly in the camp that less fluff and more crunch is the way to go. I can’t get too mad at Volo’s for this since it’s being sort of marketed on fluff as well, but with the anemic release schedule of 5e I feel for people pain when they want more.

The problem with every Monster Manual 2 is that you end up with 200 good must-have excellent monsters and 100 stinkers that are there to fill space or test out some new ideas. Adding other content instead makes sense.

Unless we end up with 50 good ones, 50 stinkers, and fluff for both. I feel quite certain there will be content in this book that is lacking, as is the case for most products. The reduced page count doesn’t help with this, either.

MM2 essentially means "More of the same". Maybe the math is better, maybe a few cool new monsters, but all the most popular monsters were in the MM unless they deliberately held things back to spread out and sell more books.

More of the same is not necessarily bad but it usually does little to improve the game in general. Sure there are some people who at least think that their enjoyment of actually playing the game will be substantially improved by simply adding more monsters in an official source book... but then this book does that too.

A different type of monster book has a greater chance of improving more people's games so I think it's a great choice and I am MUCH more interested in it than a MM2.

Definitely disagree. In other threads on what people want in MM2, users have posted hundreds of ideas they’d like to see. It’s also a great way for wizards to expand into new territory, since as you said, MM1 is pretty much reserved for the icons of the game. I harped on this earlier as well, but in terms of better math there’s definitely a subset of people on this very board who would like more dynamic encounters/monsters and better high-level threats, which are also great for a 2nd MM.

I would also charge that this book is actually less likely to improve the game than a hypothetical MM2. With Volo’s, you not only have fewer creatures, but now you have a bunch of fluff pages you’ll have to re-write if you don’t play FR. It’s simultaneously more niche and less content heavy.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
Not at all true. Strip away the names and lore and no one would mistake a Mind Flayer for a dragon, nor a beholder for a giant. One of the most common complaints about the 5e MM is how bland the monsters are, and you could craft a finely made novel spanning the history of the species, their culture, and their origins, but if that monster has a basic multiattack and nothing else it’s still bland and uninteresting, in my opinion.

This all depends on where you fall within the roleplaying game versus tactical board game continuum. It sounds like folks at your table are skewed heavily towards the latter. People at my own table are much more interested in telling a story than in fighting monsters with "super cool" abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In 3e, FR Orcs were divided into three subraces - Gray (eastern), Mountain (northern), and Deep (Orogs). It will be interesting to see if we'll see the Gray/Mountain split, and how that would translate over to 5e races. In Races of Faerun, excluding negatives which we don't see in 5e races, Gray Orcs got +2 STR and +2 WIS, while Mountain Orcs got +4 STR. I can definitely see a 5e Gray Orc getting +2 STR and +1 WIS, but would they go and give 5e Mountain Orcs +3 STR? (Basically all Orcs would get +2 STR, Gray Orcs would get +1 WIS and Mountain Orcs would get an additional +1 STR). That would bring up the specter of characters potentially having over 20 in a stat, but that would make for an interesting exception (and if we're going to have playable firbolgs, I can't see how they wouldn't be able to break 20 in STR as well...)

[MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] stated on Twitter a while back that there will be no subraces in Volos Guide for the PC races...

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
So it appears that some people can apparently create fluff and story for monsters without any problems... and yet for some reason are not able to make their own monster statblocks. Thus they need WotC to make a complete book of them for them.

Likewise, there are many players who can make up new or adapt current monster statblocks in their sleep to create new monsters, and yet could use an assist in coming up with interesting ideas on what they are, where they come from, why they act the way they do.

And WotC chose not to shortchange either side.

Seems to me, this is exactly how to make a monster book that is most accessible and useful for the largest number of people. And when you throw in the fact they are including a bunch of player races too? You've now given a reason for a lot of the non-DMs to potentially buy the book as well.

If you're looking to make a monster book for the widest possible audience... I don't see how they could have done much better.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It feels niche. Like their most recent adventure.

Which is OK, someone will like it, I am sure. But a more straight-forward MMII would probably appeal to a broader audience.

Storm Kings Thunder is niche...?

Hybrid books seem to be what Wizards is dedicated to moving forwards, and it makes sense that a monster/mini-module/player resource book would have broader appeal than just a monster book.

Remove ads

Remove ads