WotC New M:tG set announced: "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms"

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It's smart.

It also was necessary from a D&D-storytelling perspective: we've had Ravnica characters show up in FR-based AL story arcs already (like in "Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus").

Until now, D&D could pretend that the Magic: The Gathering planes that showed up in 5e D&D were variations of the planes, rather than integrated into the ongoing M:tG story or suggestive that the ongoing M:tG story and all its planes are a part of D&D.

A Forgotten Realms set makes it very clear from both sides of the WotC coin that the Planes of Magic are part of the D&D Multiverse, and the D&D Multiverse are among the Planes of Magic. They're interconnected, and the shared universe goes both ways.

Now, this DOES open us up to some weird things like Toho Giant Monsters, Transformers, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic now having a canon foothold into the D&D multiverse given the stepping stone of Magic: The Gathering…
This is going to be the start of the gaming equivalent of the Tommy Westphall universe theory.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So, silly brainstorming here:

Part of the product line for the Core Sets for the past few runs has been sets of five pre-constructed monocolor decks themed around specific Planewalkers. We don't know anything, but it seems plausible that they might do that for the FR Set...so who would they use:

• Blue: Eliminster, Mordenkein and Vi seem the most likely candidates, with the latter bring a really off kilter wildcard.
  • Black: an Epic Lich seems fitting: Ackerack, Vecna, Szazz Tam, or Larloch...?
  • White: a high Level Cleric, or Chosen?
  • Green: I want to say some Archdruid would be appropriate, but I'm not sure I can think of any off the top of my head...
  • Red: I feel that the way they are presenting Tasha in the marketing material for the next book feels very Red, in Magic Color wheel alignment terms
I hope some of the classic FR characters show up as legendary creatures rather than Planeswalkers. How dope would it be to have one of them as your commander?

Coroc

Hero
So I guess that is where the future efforts will lead, more crossover with MtG. It totally makes the most sense, also from an economical PoV.

I think Covid crisis has been a big boost for gaming, and I think MtG could easily be played online (correct me if I am wrong) plus it has loads of gamers who might be interested in D&D if it all merges.

Good thing about it is, they will probably leave DS and GH untouched,

I think Covid crisis has been a big boost for gaming, and I think MtG could easily be played online (correct me if I am wrong) plus it has loads of gamers who might be interested in D&D if it all merges.

When I was heavily into M:TG back in the 90s, there was a really good online version (all cards from all sets, Beta, Arabian Nights, etc, were available to build your deck).

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
You know, I'm old enough to remember when how excited I was when an episode of the old Transformers cartoon had a guy with a mirrored faceplate who hissed all the time...and at the end he yells 'COBRA!', revealing that it was, in fact, Cobra Commander from GI Joe.

Hasbro owns both properties. As well as M:tG and D&D.

Now I always abstained from M:tG for financial reasons (I also have driven the same car for 20 years)...

...but I'm really looking forward to see the D&D stats for the Transformers. I imagine Rumble would be a pretty good challenge for a low-level party, and a reasonably statted Megatron would challenge even powerful parties. They're tens of feet tall and made of metal, basically making them intelligent iron golems, and if they spend enough time in a D&D world I imagine they could learn magic. Imagine the surprise on the party's faces when Megatron casts delayed blast fireball on them.

What with the new geek fanbase for it we may even see My Little Pony. Go for it, Hasbro!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You know, I'm old enough to remember when how excited I was when an episode of the old Transformers cartoon had a guy with a mirrored faceplate who hissed all the time...and at the end he yells 'COBRA!', revealing that it was, in fact, Cobra Commander from GI Joe.

Hasbro owns both properties. As well as M:tG and D&D.

Now I always abstained from M:tG for financial reasons (I also have driven the same car for 20 years)...

...but I'm really looking forward to see the D&D stats for the Transformers. I imagine Rumble would be a pretty good challenge for a low-level party, and a reasonably statted Megatron would challenge even powerful parties. They're tens of feet tall and made of metal, basically making them intelligent iron golems, and if they spend enough time in a D&D world I imagine they could learn magic. Imagine the surprise on the party's faces when Megatron casts delayed blast fireball on them.

What with the new geek fanbase for it we may even see My Little Pony. Go for it, Hasbro!

Grimlock (silver border = not Canon or tourney usable, but still...)

They've done silver border ponies too :)

Remove ads