WotC New M:tG set announced: "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms"

To explain a reboot of Ravenloft is easy. The time travel is cannon in the events of the grand condjuction, and the own demiplan may be a time loop itself the the victims have to repeat the same nightmare time after time. I guess the metaplot will be frozen until the time it as multimedia franchise to be ready. And the demiplane also has some dark domains as "sattelites" in the shadowfell (appeared in the 4th Ed.).

The demiplane of the dread create copies based on regions from the material plane, but the "original" zones aren't altered. The original Barovia from the material plane still in its world. But the dark powers could manipulate events to cause apocalypse crisis in some worlds, for example that ruled by vampyrs.

The challenge is (not only about te be too focused into humans and core humanoid races) how to explain the demiplane as an ecosystem can bear too many predators without avoide a extintion of the prey species. And Ravenloft isn't only about monsters killing people, but cursed monsters suffering tragic fates (almost always by fault of their own evil actions), and the wicked twist is they may be free if they didn't reject any opportunity to get redemntion.

* Will we see a planewalker class for D&D anytime?

* Will WotC speak with cultural consultants from Torrezon for the controversies about the bad reputation suffered by the Legion of Dusk for the Ixalan event? is queen Miranda the pious' reign caerasopapism or regalism?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, silly brainstorming here:

Part of the product line for the Core Sets for the past few runs has been sets of five pre-constructed monocolor decks themed around specific Planewalkers. We don't know anything, but it seems plausible that they might do that for the FR Set...so who would they use:

• Blue: Eliminster, Mordenkein and Vi seem the most likely candidates, with the latter bring a really off kilter wildcard.
  • Black: an Epic Lich seems fitting: Ackerack, Vecna, Szazz Tam, or Larloch...?
  • White: a high Level Cleric, or Chosen?
  • Green: I want to say some Archdruid would be appropriate, but I'm not sure I can think of any off the top of my head...
  • Red: I feel that the way they are presenting Tasha in the marketing material for the next book feels very Red, in Magic Color wheel alignment terms
Blue could also be Gerti Orelsdottr, the Frost Giant Chosen of Auril.

Black could include Fzoul Chembryl, and I think Tasha would be best here. She's a demon summoner/controller, and demons are black. Halaster would do well in this color, too.

White: I'm at a loss here. Somebody of Lathander seems like a good choice.

Green: Dove Falconhand, some elven or half-elven heroes(let's not forget Drizzt).

Red: Obould Many-Arrows the Orc King, The Simbul who is very chaotic, and a the Red Wizard Zulkir of Evocation(can't remember the name) would be a good fit.

Artifact: Guenhwyrar, Helmed Horrors

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Blue could also be Gerti Orelsdottr, the Frost Giant Chosen of Auril.

Black could include Fzoul Chembryl, and I think Tasha would be best here. She's a demon summoner/controller, and demons are black. Halaster would do well in this color, too.

White: I'm at a loss here. Somebody of Lathander seems like a good choice.

Green: Dove Falconhand, some elven or half-elven heroes(let's not forget Drizzt).

Red: Obould Many-Arrows the Orc King, The Simbul who is very chaotic, and a the Red Wizard Zulkir of Evocation(can't remember the name) would be a good fit.

Artifact: Guenhwyrar, Helmed Horrors

Not bad. My bets are:

Black: Szass Tam(sp?) or Acecerak (which is already a ''planewalker''), or maybe Valindra Shadomantle.
White: Laeral Silverhand
Green: Drizzt
Red: Elminster
Blue: Artemis Entreri (is he still alive?), if not, Manshoon.

Or maybe they'll go the factions route:
Green: Emeral Enclave
Blue: Harpers
Black: Zhents
White: Lord Alliance
Red: Gauntlet

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So, silly brainstorming here:

Part of the product line for the Core Sets for the past few runs has been sets of five pre-constructed monocolor decks themed around specific Planewalkers. We don't know anything, but it seems plausible that they might do that for the FR Set...so who would they use:

• Blue: Eliminster, Mordenkein and Vi seem the most likely candidates, with the latter bring a really off kilter wildcard.
  • Black: an Epic Lich seems fitting: Ackerack, Vecna, Szazz Tam, or Larloch...?
  • White: a high Level Cleric, or Chosen?
  • Green: I want to say some Archdruid would be appropriate, but I'm not sure I can think of any off the top of my head...
  • Red: I feel that the way they are presenting Tasha in the marketing material for the next book feels very Red, in Magic Color wheel alignment terms

It feels like the big question in terms of named characters is if there are any it wouldn't be a major change in story for. Other worldly planeswalkers showing up doesn't seem a big deal (don't things from other dimensions show up now and then?). Making an important FR character suddenly planeswalk in the MTG way just to integrate universes seems bad to me.

Don't most MtG sets have most planeswalkers be ones that continue from a previous world, with only one (or two) that are newly introduced?

As far as selling product, it feels like making the named characters be Legendary Creatures (and so usable as commanders) might be even a bigger thing. Given the focus on commander lately, they could have a few (2? 5?) commander products instead of the Planeswalker decks and dodge this bullet.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It feels like the big question in terms of named characters is if there are any it wouldn't be a major change in story for. Other worldly planeswalkers showing up doesn't seem a big deal (don't things from other dimensions show up now and then?). Making an important FR character suddenly planeswalk in the MTG way just to integrate universes seems bad to me.

Some, like The Simbul and Elminster already travel the planes pretty widely as part of their stories.

My hypothesis is the new planewalker from Faerun will be not a too known character, maybe even a new one, but with some links with other more famous. She could be a no-Caucasian humanoid. A female gnome could be a way to promote this core race, whose background would be a mixture of cat-buglar/tomb-raider, magical girl and Tyrion Lannister. Or a exotic race as dragonborn, aasimar or genasi.

* What if Raitlin's unknown daughter became a planewalker and tried to avoid the apocalyptic timeline where her father becomes a god and destroys Krynn?

glass

(he, him)
Some, like The Simbul and Elminster already travel the planes pretty widely as part of their stories.
Certainly true in Elminster's case (I am less familiar with the Simbul), although I think giving him a planeswalker spark in addition all the other stuff he has is not likely to help his perception as a Mary-Sue.

I agree that Legendary creature is a better bet for major FR characters. And if there are extant FR character turned into planeswalker, they will be side characters who will not be missed too much in ongoing FR. insert your own jokes here

_
glass.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Ravenloft has absorbed nations wholesale from the PMP before.

True. Adding a small green box explaining how Innistrad was absorbed into Ravenloft, and barely anyone noticed the difference (because honestly, would would actually change), would make it and Ravenloft in the same book make perfect sense lore-wise.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I wonder about a Kaladesh version of M.A.S.K and transformers vehicles. A Kaladesh-Eberron crossover? Both are magitek
grimlock-dinobot-leader-hascon-promo-foil-89644-medium.jpg

Remove ads