New marilith/balor pictures

Gothmog

First Post
I love the balor- it looks menacing, evil, and very pissed off.

I despise the marilith- I can't tell what her face looks like, she is too frail looking, and just looks awkward and poorly done. Her face also looks really scrunched up. I have yet to see a marilith done that I really like though. I think one that is sitting atop a pile of bones and broken bodies, covered in the blood of her enemies would make an awesome pic though. She should have a wild look in her eyes, hair matted and tangled, and have a more serpentine pose. Anyone want to try that? :D

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
Balor - Great, awesome, uber cool. Me likey :D

Marilith - Pretty piss poor, although it is hard to tell at this point, but it still looks bad.

Gez

First Post
I really don't like either. The balor is technically well made, but I find his horns really silly. And the Marilith looks like a famished little girl (with 6 arms and a snake tail, OK).

Sejs

First Post
Balor: Body good (needs more clothes/accessories), Head BAD

Marilith: Body bad (too waifish.. they're frickin' generals!), head bad (no devious glint in the eyes.. wheel's spinning, hampster's dead), weapons good.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I think the balor looks pretty cool, but those huge side-of-the-head horns aren't that asthetically pleasing. They should go.

As for the marilith...what is it with modern WotC art having certain monsters look all emaciated? I know the "thin" look is in, but this is taking it too far...first that poor displacer beast, now the marilith.

Eldorian

First Post
I thought the 2e marilith was fine. Sort of a plumply pretty woman, with an expression of sheer rage, with 6 arms wielding wicked looking weaponry, and faint demonic features, with that snake tail provided a certain amount of contrast between the humanity and the demonic nature. I mean, you noticed her demonic nature right off, after a good look, her human features made the demonic parts you saw earlier even more harsh. The contrast made the monster. Hell, the evil party I played in 2e had one stuffed and put in the entry hall of their keep, cause we thought she was sufficiently impressive. This new one wouldn't get stuffed, I'll tell you that.

This new one looks dumb. Her weapons are weaker looking, she looks far to inhuman, so I am able to distance myself from her, ie, I don't relate to the human part only to be repulsed by the demon part again. And even for a new monster, she looks pretty badly done. She's too skinny, her head is huge.. Shes not really threatening looking.. looks like she deserves pity. Poor little sick monster. I wouldn't even know that was a marilith if I didn't read the caption.

The balor looks pretty standard tho.. Man I hope they go back to a more traditional looking Vrock. Just ruining the demons for me. I've always been a fan of demons, especially in 2e when they were dangerous, mainly cause we fought them at lower levels.

Eldorian Antar

Remove ads