• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New marilith/balor pictures

Gez

First Post
The Serge said:
Compare the current image to the current description and leave it at that.

I don't know if they will get changed in the revision, but here are the current description of the balor and marilith:

"A balor is a repulsive, towering humanoid (about 12 feet tall) with dark red skin and massive, clawed hands. Its huge wings can propel it trough the air with unnatural speed, and its body is often wrapped in lurid flames."

From that description, the pic is OK, however the red isn't dark enough IMHO. (And I still don't like his horns, but there's nothing in the desc about horns or lack thereof, just that they're repulsive and towering.)

"Mariliths appear as giant snakes from the waist down, with green, scaly coils, and attractive female humanoids above the waist. Besides their half-snake bodies, mariliths are distinguished by their six arms, each one holding some exotic weapon and sporting many bangles and jewels. Mariliths stand about 7 feet tall and measure about 20 feet from head to tip of tail."

Green scaly coil ? She's purple. Attractive female humanoid ? Only if you're into underage Roswell aliens (except that Roswell aliens are grey, not purple). All that IMHO off course.

Some thing people seem to forget is that EVERY artist has thier own style. It is nearly impossible to make something look exactly like another artist's without just borrowing thier style, and I hate seeing that. I love when things are adapted to the artist's particular style. It leads to different interpretations of things, and allows a wide view. Instead of a creature having to always look like one thing, its nice to see variety in appearance.
I'm tempted to just use the Marilith description to draw one in my own style...it will probably look completely different from any other interpretation because that's simple what it is...an interpretation. It kind of gets to me to see people argue that something is horrible just because it doesn't "look like its supposed to". *shrug* Just had to rant, thank you for ignoring me. :cool:

Pants

First Post
Hmm, I think that the color of the Marilith is one of the that I don't like the picture that much. It's a pinkish purple and not much else, kinda boring and not very aesthetically pleasing IMO.
And besides, as Gez pointed out, unless the Marilith's description is changed in 3.5, they are supposed to be beautiful from the waist up. That doesn't look too beautiful to me. :cool:

Wolv0rine:
Balors have usually been described as having 'lightning bolt shaped swords.' Just thought I'd point that out :D

The Serge

First Post
I've been waiting for someone to actually draw a Balor holding a bolt of lightning. That's how I describe them in my short-stories and in game sessions. Now that would look cool if drawn properly.

Wolv0rine

First Post
Pants said:
HmWolv0rine:
Balors have usually been described as having 'lightning bolt shaped swords.' Just thought I'd point that out :D

*laughs* I go on for a few pages of carefully worded art critique, and this is my response. :p I know, I know, it's in there.. but it's silly! They look ridiculous every time, it's just not possible IMHO to depict a lightning-shaped sword that doesn't look stupid. :)

Pants

First Post
Wolv0rine said:

*laughs* I go on for a few pages of carefully worded art critique, and this is my response. :p I know, I know, it's in there.. but it's silly! They look ridiculous every time, it's just not possible IMHO to depict a lightning-shaped sword that doesn't look stupid. :)
I just like to pick at nits ;)

Balors don't wear loincloths

Mariliths don't have purple scaly heads

and further more

Demogorgon does not have spindly legs or wolven heads

Orcus does NOT have a six-pack

And while I'm at it, what up with the Maelephant? It looks to me like Baxa's submission was rejected by the art director, and he just haphazardly stuck an elephant head on it and sent it back...

s/LaSH

First Post
My points:

I like the idea that the artist is getting at. As a demonic creature, the marilith looks cool, and I see no reason not to use the idea expressed therein.

I think the artist screwed up with a couple of things - the head is too big, the spear is held really weird, humanoid features often include a nose.

I think the 'old' version is valid too.

I was thinking about this last night so I decided to draw a somewhat more 'traditional' marilith. I'm only going to link to it from here because it's distinctly non-Grandmotherly (that is, she doesn't have any strategically placed swords). I think it hits all the 'nostalgia' bases, and presents the demon with the right attitude, while giving it a bit of a retro makeover. I'll colour it later if I can find the time (and maybe the software; I have an idea I'd like to try out).

If you have the fortitude, then, try this: http://dungeondamage.keenspace.com/images/Marilith.jpg (Moderators, if this is too risque even for a link I'll understand if it gets taken down. Kiddies, get parental permission before clicking.)

Thoughts?

I might draw a more 'technically apt' version of the bigheaded marilith if I can find the time, just to see if people like it 'done right'. Sort of a horrific counterpart to the attractive version. (And has anyone else noticed that you can see knees in the bigheaded marilith's snake tail? The legs are quite clearly defined down to the ankles; it's like a picture of a woman in a marilith suit.)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads