D&D General New player help needed

Red1982

Villager
Hi folks, I'm looking for a bit of help. My wife used to play D&D years ago and I thought I'd buy her some to get back into it so we can host nights with our friends. I went out and bought a D&D starter set (lost mine of phandelver) but it's not quite what I expected - no figures, no boards etc, just booklets and dice. I'd like to be able to have a table with boards, figures, cards etc set up, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to buy? Many thanks in advance

Yora

Legend
That is what most regular groups play with. Everything else is fancy cherries on top for people who are into that stuff and want to make a bigger investment.
I've never used any of that, but there surely are other people here who can tell more about all that additional stuff.

Li Shenron

Legend
Hi folks, I'm looking for a bit of help. My wife used to play D&D years ago and I thought I'd buy her some to get back into it so we can host nights with our friends. I went out and bought a D&D starter set (lost mine of phandelver) but it's not quite what I expected - no figures, no boards etc, just booklets and dice. I'd like to be able to have a table with boards, figures, cards etc set up, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to buy? Many thanks in advance
That's a good question, I don't think there's a 5e box product like that, similar to for example the 90s black box (it didn't have minis but it had at least cardboard figures).

There are maps products and minis from 3rd party vendors but you would have to buy them separately and can be expensive.

How would you instead consider custom DIY props? There's many people who share their own creations here. You would have to print them yourself of course.

GreyLord

Legend
Not D&D, but it has cardboard figures with stands and a lot of monsters. You could choose the PF1e box though it is far more expensive than the 2e box, but the basic rules are more like 3e/3.5 at amazon.com

PF1e Beginner Box

Or you could get the 2e box which also has a LOT of cardboard standees but is not really compatible with anything else. It has a map and stands though and is cheaper to boot.

PF2e beginner box

Neither is really D&D 5e, but it's about as close as you can get to having a map and figures.

If you really want D&D type figures I would suggest getting the D&D adventure games. They come with tiles (which are generic enough to be made into any dungeon or where ever you want), hero figures and monsters. It also has a game system if you want to try it though it is more like 4e than 5e.

Here are a few of them

Wrath of Ashardalon

and

Temple of Elemental Evil

Red1982

Villager
Not D&D, but it has cardboard figures with stands and a lot of monsters. You could choose the PF1e box though it is far more expensive than the 2e box, but the basic rules are more like 3e/3.5 at amazon.com

PF1e Beginner Box

Or you could get the 2e box which also has a LOT of cardboard standees but is not really compatible with anything else. It has a map and stands though and is cheaper to boot.

PF2e beginner box

Neither is really D&D 5e, but it's about as close as you can get to having a map and figures.

If you really want D&D type figures I would suggest getting the D&D adventure games. They come with tiles (which are generic enough to be made into any dungeon or where ever you want), hero figures and monsters. It also has a game system if you want to try it though it is more like 4e than 5e.

Here are a few of them

Wrath of Ashardalon

and

Temple of Elemental Evil

Red1982

Villager
Thanks a lot for the responses, I think it's because I saw a adventure starter kit that came with tiles, cards, figures etc and I just presumed that all D&D stuff was like that - a bit like the large scale tabletop stuff you get with games workshop stuff. I wasn't aware that pretty much all D&D stuff was just played from a book and characters were just on sheets of paper

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
There was a kickstarter several years ago about foldable cardboard figures. I can't recall the name now, but it looks like there are folks who have made images that could be printed from a color printer on cardstock and used.
For monsters and the like it's hard to have enough of them, but just writing on cardboard chits with a marker can be done pretty quickly.

aco175

Legend
You can find accessories on DMsGuild to get maps and paper figures for this box set. These figures are paper here an an example. You can also buy a blank map that uses dry or wet markers for encounters like this.

1642958075801.png

You can always start with some basic things like using M&Ms to represent monsters and even print 1" graph paper for free for the first few encounters to see how you like playing before you start buying more figures and tiles.

Red1982

Villager
You can find accessories on DMsGuild to get maps and paper figures for this box set. These figures are paper here an an example. You can also buy a blank map that uses dry or wet markers for encounters like this.

View attachment 150515

You can always start with some basic things like using M&Ms to represent monsters and even print 1" graph paper for free for the first few encounters to see how you like playing before you start buying more figures and tiles.
Ok, so quick update, after showing the wife a bunch of pictures, I'm convinced it wasn't even D&D she was playing, and was more along the lines of hero quest

Remove ads