• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Players same level as Current Players?

WHat level should newbies start at?

• Same level as the current players, b/c that's fair!

Votes: 88 83.0%
  • Start'em at 1st, the current players had to start there!

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Start them at first, but give them XP bonus to catch up!

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Poll closed .

Iry

Hero
No one I know argues over XP. I guess I have more mature players (including my 8 year old). :D
Unfortunately I know a lot of groups who do. Sometimes it is like walking back into the 80s. There was even a migration problem a couple years back where several players left one FLGS for another FLGS to get away from certain players... only for those players to follow them to the other FLGS. Unfortunately the first FLGS went out of business due to the migration.

I got away from all that and made sure to select good players for my own game.

As a funny anecdote to the actual topic -- I was talking with my significant other while she was playing in her own game of D&D. I asked her what level replacement characters start at (because of this thread). She did not know, so she asked her DM. The DM said Level - 1. This caused an immediate uproar at the table because absolutely nobody had thought to ask that question, and several players were unhappy with it.

S'mon

Legend
Unfortunately I know a lot of groups who do. Sometimes it is like walking back into the 80s. There was even a migration problem a couple years back where several players left one FLGS for another FLGS to get away from certain players... only for those players to follow them to the other FLGS. Unfortunately the first FLGS went out of business due to the migration.

I got away from all that and made sure to select good players for my own game.

As a funny anecdote to the actual topic -- I was talking with my significant other while she was playing in her own game of D&D. I asked her what level replacement characters start at (because of this thread). She did not know, so she asked her DM. The DM said Level - 1. This caused an immediate uproar at the table because absolutely nobody had thought to ask that question, and several players were unhappy with it.

Well an Anarchist once told me I had an Authoritarian Personality (when I objected to his plan to seize power and make everyone do what he said...) - Maybe it's my Putin-like auctoritas that stops player complaints. :) They almost all seem to go along fine with what I tell them. The guy who's three levels ahead of the others in my 5e online game did freak a bit at the thought of having to restart at a lower level if he died, but that's one
player out of 30 or so over the past few years.

Kite474

Explorer
For us its the lowest level player. Same when creating a new character. Leaves the need for catch-up but still makes you work for it.

Iry

Hero
Well an Anarchist once told me I had an Authoritarian Personality (when I objected to his plan to seize power and make everyone do what he said...) - Maybe it's my Putin-like auctoritas that stops player complaints. :) They almost all seem to go along fine with what I tell them.
Could be! It is good to be blessed with decent players, and I treasure my own dearly.

On a completely comedic tangent -- I wouldn't trust that Anarchist. Seizing power and making everyone do what he says does not seem like the best example of Anarchy. =D

S'mon

Legend
On a completely comedic tangent -- I wouldn't trust that Anarchist. Seizing power and making everyone do what he says does not seem like the best example of Anarchy. =D

It was a University staff seminar, he was the guest speaker. I objected to his plan to abolish hierarchy by (him & his mates) pointing guns at people - I suggested that people were group animals like wolves, and liked having hierarchies to fit into. I then got the "You're first against the wall when the revolution comes" look, and the Authoritarian Personality comment.

Of course in reality, if his plan worked then he and his mates, the guys with the guns, would be in charge, and all he'd have done would be to create a new hierarchy with him on top.

Iry

Hero
Of course in reality, if his plan worked then he and his mates, the guys with the guns, would be in charge, and all he'd have done would be to create a new hierarchy with him on top.
That's the joke. Also, why is your university inviting people like that to be guest speakers? =P

the Jester

Legend
Oh man, I missed a lot! Sorry to jump in with stuff from five days ago (or whatever it is), but there's a lot of good stuff in here!

See, the thing is when you see a character in a world for the first time, they're not always going to be anywhere close to a novice. The latter will actually be the exception, not the rule.

I think one difference between us may be in how we conceive of 1st level characters.

In BECMI and 1e, pcs had level titles. A 1st level fighter's level title was "veteran"- so a first level character is not necessarily a novice, so much as one who hasn't had the experiences necessary to get above 1st level.

Does that mean I'm typically going to buy the notion of the 'veteran of dozens of wars, leader of men' as a pc background? Well... it depends. Do you mean you were a great warrior and now you've been retired for 30 years and your skills have atrophied? Sure, maybe I can buy that. Do you mean you're the general right now who is the smiter of major npcs in the campaign? No, I don't think so.

Take any adventure you see, either on the screen, or read about in novels, and think about new characters introduced in that narrative long after it's begun who go on to become important allies or members of the protagonist's inner circle. How often are they some novice? They are usually in situations they are in because they have experience, not in spite of it. They've already been adventuring in the world, it's just that we're seeing their adventure's path cross that of the rest of the group for the first time.

Not saying people can't and shouldn't enjoy ES@1 games. But for many, it pulls us right out of the story itself to have new characters so utterly outclassed on so many levels all at once. It is actually, in my opinion, LESS cinematic, and pulls one out of the moment.

Well, you're hitting on a major difference between (at least my) ES@1 games and many other games- the whole notion of a narrative or story that the pcs should be following. And I don't think you can point to a book or a movie as an adequate analogy to a D&D game when you're talking about bringing in new characters unless you consider that those characters might well be npcs.

Ok, thought experiment to put it in perspective: you are only applying this metric to PCs. Try doing it with NPCs and see how much sense it makes. Every NPC added to a campaign from now on gets to start at 1st level; ES@1 now applies to all characters in the narrative. How much sense does that end up making, and how does that play out? Because, and here's the rub, when a PC is introduced to the party, until they become a member of the party, their characters should make sense both lore-wise and mechanically as an NPC filling the same role in the world.

The same rules don't apply to pcs and npcs, and they never have. And, largely, I'd say that they shouldn't.

In 2e and earlier versions of D&D, the "Men" entry in the Monster Manual had things like bandits and berserkers, and none of them used pc rules. In 3e, there were plenty of weird npcs that you couldn't build by the rules. 4e was over-the-top when it came to customizing npcs, and no npc ever used pc type stats in my game. 5e npcs aren't built like pcs, either.

There's also a very different purpose for npcs than there is for pcs. Npcs are either background, allies, contacts, adversaries, or whatever, and a given npc needs to be able to fill its role.

That said, I do agree that, broadly speaking, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, but I apply it differently. I'd say that every npc started at 1st level (or below, depending on the specific system) and that, for meaningful ones, you should have a good idea of their history. Npcs also have to abide by the rule of demographics (at least in my game). That is, there are pretty much always fewer npcs of level x+1 than there are of level x.

Finally, I'll disagree that pcs are npcs until they are pcs. Well, in most cases- if you take over an existing npc after you lose your character, sure, I'll agree, but otherwise, nah. But here's the rub: if they are first level- and if almost all npcs in the setting are first level- then it makes perfect narrative sense.

the Jester

Legend
It doesn't feel like an organic world anymore, it makes it feel much, much more artificial if PCs (and only PCs, mind you) can only ever be some green newbie who has to start at the bottom.

Don't forget, if you have a stable of pcs, this might not necessarily be the case! If Jeff's pc Bling dies, he can bring in his existing monk or fighter.

the Jester

Legend
I've never done ES@1. I know the players entered into the game with the understanding that this would be ES@1, but how do high level characters handle it?

Under ES@1, what happens if they go searching for someone powerful and ask them to join? What happens if they have established friends of moderate power and ask one of them to join? What happens if the characters don't want to babysit a rookie with frequent magical protection? What happens when new rookies keep being instantly killed by things like fireball?

Those guys sound like npcs to me. And in my setting, random npcs above about 5th level are vanishingly rare. I know who most of the mid to high-level npcs are, where they are and what they're doing. Sure, sometimes you might be able to recruit one (or more), but they're not pcs.

Remove ads