Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Platform: chrome mobile browser on Android, reading while logged in

Issue: when reading through posts on an older page of a lengthy thread, the sequence of posts sometimes skips ahead to the most recent posts, skipping everything in between. The problem can be fixed by reloading the page, but it seems to recur at random. At first I thought I was imagining things or misclicking to the end, but I finally managed to notice the skip when it occured and grabbed a screenshot, which is attached.

Note in the screenshot that the posts jump from #280 to #365, which is flagged as new.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-124413.png
    Screenshot_20200201-124413.png
    303.2 KB · Views: 126

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah. Not a bug. That's the normal function of the boards, intended so your context does not skip over things you may not have read yet.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Yeah. Not a bug. That's the normal function of the boards, intended so your context does not skip over things you may not have read yet.
I find, rather, that it de-contextualizes the later posts that end up at the bottom of the wrong page unless I’m very careful to note when they were posted as compared to others, because I’m missing out on all the posts in between, so it seems, at least in my case, that the intent is not being fully realized. Perhaps some errata are in order?

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush

Thanks for the response! If I understand your explanation correctly, it sounds like the intent of this feature is to prevent posting from causing the poster's context to shift to the end of the thread? That makes sense--one wouldn't want the poster to lose their place in the thread if they haven't read it all yet.

Unfortunately, this feature applies much more broadly than that. Even when just passively reading, every time someone else posts in the thread, the new posts are appended out-of-order to the end of my current page. I don't see any benefit to the reader of seeing new posts next to old posts, skipping everything in between?

Intended feature or not, the mixing together of new and old posts makes trying to catch up on a long, active thread extremely frustrating and confusing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for the response! If I understand your explanation correctly, it sounds like the intent of this feature is to prevent posting from causing the poster's context to shift to the end of the thread?

That's what I have read, yes.

Intended feature or not, the mixing together of new and old posts makes trying to catch up on a long, active thread extremely frustrating and confusing.

I recommend you go to Xenforo and let them know, as it does not seem like this is behavior we have control over.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases