• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New previews!!!

Aegeri

First Post
Did anyone else notice that Helpless is now only granting combat advantage? Have they removed coup de grace from the game?

Yeah in one of the hundred threads I seem to remember that, bloody hard to keep up ith ENW/RPGNet/WotC forums and the various threads on essentials.

Heck maybe it was mentioned up-thread here!

Yeah in one of the hundred threads I seem to remember that, bloody hard to keep up ith ENW/RPGNet/WotC forums and the various threads on essentials.

Heck maybe it was mentioned up-thread here!

Hmmm, I don't remember seeing anything mentioned about that anywhere, but with devs posting in various random places and all the different podcasts and whatnot that have come out in the past week who knows what has been said. Seems ODD to me though, CdG was a problem? Just seemed like a nice and fairly logical option that wouldn't come up very often. I think in all the games I've run since 4e came out it's been used maybe twice.

Aegeri

First Post
Yeah, but has coup de grace gone as a rule? To be honest, I would not be sad to see CDG go as a rule full stop and if this has gone it means unconscious isn't the "instant death" condition of 4E. You are already hugely penalized for being unconscious, taking maximum damage every attack is just throwing oil onto a raging forest fire. I really hope this is the case, because it makes unconscious a much more reasonable condition. For example, I can't understand what manner of demonic possession ever meant that Wizards thought Jackalweres were reasonable level 3 and 4 monsters. On the other hand, if coup de grace is no longer in the rules they are working with, then that combination of monsters is now just very tough instead of guaranteed TPK if you play them remotely intelligently.

Unconscious/helpless is already -5 all defenses, no actions, granting combat advantage (so a total of +7 to hit really) and such forth. Removing the extra penalty of maximum damage on top of that just seems sensible to me. I really want to see that chart now - because they could have just moved coup de grace to unconscious instead.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I'm glad to see that the adventures are still 8.5x11. 32 pages would've been pretty short for a digest-sized 4e adventure!

Grydan

First Post
Note that according to James Wyatt's Countdown to Essentials article, the DM's Kit's DM's book has "streamlined combat rules that can help you run the game until you decide it’s time to pick up the Rules Compendium".

It may be that in those rules (for both the book and screen in the kit), coup de grace is left out for simplicity's sake, but still appears as normal in the Rules Compendium and the (not an Essentials product) Deluxe DM's Screen.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Huh, missed this thread! Pretty! Despite having (not) enough minis for most sorts of encounters, I really like the counters coming with the Monster Vault - convenient for travel and so on... and pretty enough to not feel cheap, especially with the bloodied back.

Not sure about the DM's kit, it looks great, but a bit superfluous for existing DMs - but looks like a great starter (though I'd really like to get my grubby fingers on the adventure).

Anyway, if the content is as good as the last couple of big D&D releases, I'm really starting to like the Essentials line, especially the fact that it seems to be a good beginner's product and looks very portable.

Cheers, LT.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads