New Release... What are they thinking?

Yeah, my list of 3.5 books to still purchase is as follows:

-Complete Mage (just ordered)
-Monster Manual IV (just ordered)
-Dragons of Eberron
-City of Stormreach
-Red Hand of Doom (maybe)
-Rules Compendium (maybe)

I'm still debating over Monster Manual V and Complete Champion.

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Andor said:
They've announced a rules compendium for 3.5 here.

This sounds like a potentially fantastic product. But I have to wonder who the hell is going to buy it with 4e just around the corner? :\

Doode, you might be surprised how many people decide to stick with 3.5 for the next few years.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
amaril said:
Yeah, my list of 3.5 books to still purchase is as follows:

-Complete Mage (just ordered)
-Monster Manual IV (just ordered)
-Dragons of Eberron
-City of Stormreach
-Red Hand of Doom (maybe)
-Rules Compendium (maybe)

I'm still debating over Monster Manual V and Complete Champion.

Not to threadjack, but IMHO, Red Hand of Doom is sweet!

/end threadjack

A book giving designer commentary on rules that are now no longer supported -- regardless of whether or not I move to 4E -- seems like a waste of cash. Not a total waste: I'm sure the commentary is insightful (and may provide some cool alternatives like Unearthed Arcana does), but I really can't see spending money on reading someone else's interpretation on rules I've been using for 4+ years now.

If I haven't figured them out by now, they've probably been house-ruled ;-P

I'm pretty excited about what 4e has to offer, but I have too much 3.5 material that I want to use and run as a DM to make the switch. I'm going to switch eventually, but for now I'll stick to v3.5. My interest in Rules Compendium is in the quick reference of such rules rather than hunt through various books. It'll be useful while I still run v3.5.

One should also consider this a form of ongoing support on WotC's behalf for those who will continue with v3.5, too.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I'll be giving the rules compendium a good look. If it is a collection of the rues already printed, as i\s, I will not touch it with a ten foot pole, but if it is an honest attempt to fix some of the more ambiguous rules or basically a super FAQ/Erratta, then I would be interested.

But the odds of me buying it are pretty slim.

EyeontheMountain said:
I'll be giving the rules compendium a good look. If it is a collection of the rues already printed, as i\s, I will not touch it with a ten foot pole, but if it is an honest attempt to fix some of the more ambiguous rules or basically a super FAQ/Erratta, then I would be interested.

But the odds of me buying it are pretty slim.
It does include errata.
In addition to presenting the rules of the game, the Rules Compendium incorporates official errata as well as behind-the-scenes designer and developer commentary explaining how the rules system has evolved and why certain rules work the way they do.

Shellman

First Post
Andor said:
They've announced a rules compendium for 3.5 here.

This sounds like a potentially fantastic product. But I have to wonder who the hell is going to buy it with 4e just around the corner? :\

If your going to covert to 4E, then don't buy it. If your probably going to stick with 3.5 like me, then you will buy it!

Remove ads