• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Rituaaaals

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Ugh... if my players find about the Fastidious ritual, they'll be casting it every day.

Um... not because I often have them adventuring in sewers and fighting otyughs or anything.

*whistles*

*walks away innocently*

Lizard

Explorer
Nice stuff, as I've come to expect from Dragon. A few quibbles...

Who needs Fastiduousness when you've got Prestidigitation?

Preservation (and similar rituals) are very cool, but they hearken back to a more simulationist game; since the core philosophy of 4e is "Get to the adventure!", it's unlikely any 4e DM is going to bother players with rations rotting in the jungle damp, or whatever. I suppose you could argue using it can justify a bonus on Skill Challenges related to outdoor survivial. (OTOH, since it is quite literally impossible to starve to death under 4e, who cares? Take 1 unit of rations for all. Do not eat for however long it takes to get to the adventure location. When you get to the adventure location, eat. You will regain all your healing surges and 'reset the clock' so that you will suffer no ill effects for another 30 days. But that's a different thread...)

I consider Delver's Fire to be more generally useful than the higher level Preserve Flame. (I can think of combat applications for Preserve Flame, but since rituals can't be used in combat, meh.)

Many of the rituals seem to be mostly useful in situations where you DON'T have the time needed to cast them. Chameleon cloak, Memory Seal, and wizard's escape, for example. Perhaps there should be some means of "precasting" rituals and then "releasing" them? A Feat which lets you "store" a single ritual? Something...

(Please, do not present me with endless hypotheticals about how the above CAN be used with plenty of prep time. I can imagine such scenarios myself. I can imagine a lot MORE scenarios where you'd want to use them FAST. Consider, for example, this...

Guard:"Hey! Hey you! Stop!"
Wizard:"Obliviate!"
Guard:"What am I doing here? Huh. Weird. Oh well, back to patrol..."

vs.

Guard:"Hey! Hey you! Stop!"
Wizard:"Damn. Say, would you mind waiting ten minutes or so while I draw some runes, burn some powders, and chant?"
Guard: (Draws breath to yell)
Wizard: (Sigh) "Magic Missile!"

I know I'm sounding awfully negative. I *like* most of the rituals in this article, and the game world they imply -- one where wizards (or those with skill and training) can perform useful bits of helpful magic is one I like. I the FEEL of spells like Delver's Fire, Scribe, and Preservation. Memory Seal is a perfect "plot" spell. Etc. But there seems to be a disconnect between the ideas and the mechanics. Ah well, that's what house rules are for.

I will say this: Being a wizard just became a lot more appealing for me...(Sure, anyone can cast rituals, but wizards have a slight edge...)

Remove ads