New Rogue Sublass: Gunslinger

Negflar2099

Explorer
I have just uploaded New Rogue Subclass: Gunslinger to the downloads area.

I have no idea how balanced this is against the other subclasses of the rogue. Just throwing that out there. Obviously in order to use this class you also need firearms in your game and the class is designed to work with my firearm rules which are summarized at the end of this doc.

New Rogue Style

Gunslinging
For a renegade few, battle sounds different than it does for the typical rogue. The clash of steel and the sizzle of spell energy are drowned out by the thunderous rhythm of gunfire—the pounding beat of the gunslinger.

Grit
When you choose this archetype at 3<sup>rd</sup> level you gain grit points. In game terms, grit is a fluctuating measure of your ability to perform amazing actions in combat. You have a maximum number of girt points equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). Your grit goes up or down throughout the day. You spend grit to use your gunslinging features and regain grit in the following ways:

Critical Hit with a Firearm: Each time you confirm a critical hit with a firearm attack while in the heat of combat, you regain 1 grit point. Confirming a critical hit on a helpless or unaware creature or on a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half your level does not restore grit.

Killing Blow with a Firearm: When you reduce a creature to 0 or fewer hit points with a firearm attack while in the heat of combat, you regain 1 grit point. Destroying an unattended object, reducing a helpless or unaware creature to 0 or fewer hit points, or reducing a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half your level to 0 or fewer hit points does not restore any grit.

Daring Act: Each time you perform a daring act, you can regain grit. As a general guideline, a daring act should be risky and dramatic. It should take a good deal of guts, and its outcome should have a low probability of success. If it is successful, you regain 1 grit point. Before attempting a daring act, you should ask the DM whether the act qualifies. The DM is the final arbiter of what’s considered a daring act, and can grant a regained grit point for a daring act even if you do not ask beforehand whether the act qualifies.

Long rest: At the end of a long rest all of your grit points are restored to your normal maximum.

Any effect that restores grit points can only bring them up to your normal grit point maximum. Any grit points in excess of that maximum are lost.

Deadeye
Starting at 3<sup>rd</sup> level, you can reroll any one damage die you make with a firearm attack by spending a grit point. Spend the grit point and reroll the damage die, choosing to either keep the original roll or use the new one. You can reroll as many damage die as you like depending on how many grit points you’re willing to spend. Alternatively you can spend a single point of grit to remove disadvantage on an attack you make with a firearm.

Quick as a Flash

At 3<sup>rd</sup> level you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to load or reload a firearm, to ready a firearm or to repair a firearm that’s been broken due to a jam.

Gunslinger’s Dodge
At 9th level, you gain an uncanny knack for getting out of the way of ranged attacks. When a ranged attack is made against you, you can spend 1 grit point to move 5 feet as a reaction; doing so grants you a +2 bonus to AC against the triggering attack. Alternatively, you can spend a grit point to drop prone to gain a +4 bonus to AC against the triggering attack. You can also use this ability when an attack is made against you that requires a Dexterity save, in which case spending the grit point (if you move or drop prone) grants you advantage on the save. You can only perform this deed while wearing light or no armor, and while carrying no more than a light load.

Bullet Storm
Beginning at 13th level, you can attack one extra time whenever you take the attack action on your turn, provided you make both attacks with a firearm. If you haven’t used your whole move for the turn, you can move between attacks. This attack cannot be used on the same round as Extra Attack but may be combined with extra attacks granted from using two pistols. You automatically reload the firearm for both attacks even if you do not have any hands free to do so.

Boom Head Shot
At 16th level, when you score a critical hit with a firearm attack you can spend 1 grit point to add your sneak attack dice to the damage roll (if you’ve already added your sneak attack dice double the damage from your sneak attack dice instead).

Firearm Properties
Firearms have some amazing properties, some of which are negative and some are positive. Added up, this means that for the average adventurer choosing between a firearm and a different type of ranged weapon (such as a crossbow) is not that easy a choice to make. In fact bows and crossbows still see regular use throughout worlds where firearms are present. So then why have firearms become so prevalent if they aren’t that different than weapons that already existed? There are two reasons; first, firearms are incredibly easy to use. Most firearms count as simple weapons. Your typical untrained commoner can pick up and use, and even be trained to reload, a firearm in a tenth the time of other ranged weapons. Second on the battlefield their positives far outweigh the negatives. After all, who cares about the noise when you’re at war? Adventurers may have to think about that but generals don’t. When you compare that to basically giving every soldier in your army a +1 weapon (or close to it) you can see why when armies clash firearms are king.

Properties of firearms:

Accuracy: All firearms receive a +1 to hit due to their accurate (and slightly armor piercing) nature. They do not receive this bonus to damage, only to hit.

Improved Critical Hits: Firearms do more damage when they score a critical hit than other weapons do. When you score a critical hit using a firearm add an additional dice of damage to the critical hit roll equal to the damage dice of the weapon. So if you fire a pistol that does 1d6 damage you add another d6 to the damage roll. This is in addition to the extra dice you’re already adding for the critical hit itself.

Noise: Firearms are incredibly loud. The noise the pellet makes when it leaves the barrel is literally deafening. If you fire a gun outside it can be heard for miles. If you fire it in an enclosed area every creature not already deafened (or immune to thunder damage) in that area must make a DC 10 Constitution save or be deafened for 1 minute.

Barrel Jam: Sometimes the pellet doesn’t fly out of the barrel straight. Either it hits at the wrong angle or the pellet itself is off or it gets jammed in the mechanism assembly that puts it in the barrel. Either way when you roll a natural 1 with a firearm that firearm now has a barrel jam. It’s considered broken until repaired, which normally takes 1 minute to do and must be done outside of combat. For this reason some keep multiple guns on hand, grabbing another one if the first jams.

Irretrievable Ammo: Unlike other ammunition, bullets launched from firearms cannot be recovered after the battle. The force of striking a surface destroys the ammunition.

You can find the file here in the downloads section. Please use this thread for comments.

Last edited:

Inchoroi

Adventurer
The basic idea is sound, just needs some tweaking to bring it in line balance-wise. I would reference Battlemaster Fighter (especially the Parry maneuver) more than anything, possibly even changing "Grit" to "Grit Dice" (something other than the word "Grit" to describe it would be awesome, as well, since it just sounds weird).

The most broken thing I can see, however, is the Noise property of firearms. This basically replicates the Deafness spell, which is a bad idea all around. It should definitely obviate stealth, and normally take a whole action to reload for characters that don't possess the Cunning Action feature.

Negflar2099

Explorer
I based it on the Pathfinder class, which is why it's called Grit, but now that you mention it Grit Dice might be better.

As for firearms they really only do that deafened effect if you fire them in enclosed spaces (like a small cave). It's not meant to happen every time you fire the gun. I didn't think I needed to mention that it removes stealth since producing any noise of any kind removes stealth and I don't really agree that it should take a whole action to reload a firearm. It used to take a whole action to reload a crossbow but it doesn't in 5e so I don't think it should for guns.

But I do agree that the class would probably be better if it was based on the Battlemaster. I'll have to look at that. Thanks.

Remove ads