• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New RP game I came up with - Adventure Kids

Shades of Green

First Post
I like this - I wish my mom had something like this whn I was a kid. We liked to invent stories together, so such a system would have been an easy introduction to RPGs :)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The game has merit. The font alone had me thinking more about a cutesy-kid game and less hack n slash. My only suggestion would be to use a 2d6 system rather than all sorts of different dice. Keeps everything the same so your kids don't get confused, and if they're missing dice, they can take 'em from Candyland or Yahtzee... hehe

Another fun idea would be to use cards. Not sure how it would work, but I could see Uno cards subbing for stat checks... or something... like colors for "degrees" of success... maybe?

Last edited:

Larcen

Explorer
Frostmarrow said:
Nice mechanic. Really nice. :)

Glad you liked it. What I was going for when I came up with the Ratio system was a mechanic that had perfect probabilities. The way I see it, if something rated 3 was going up against something rated 1, that is a 3:1 ratio, so the 3 should win exactly three times more than the 1. I don't know of any other system that is this exact in determining success.

Instead of using the different dice types, you could do more complicated math and come up with percentages, a 75% in the example above for instance, but I think the method I am using is more elegant. And fun since you get to actually use all those dice collected thru the years.

Shades of Green said:
I like this - I wish my mom had something like this whn I was a kid. We liked to invent stories together, so such a system would have been an easy introduction to RPGs :)

Yes, I can't wait to see how it goes with my two kids. I might just write up an adventure now and take them thru it instead of waiting the year or so I was planning to since they are still sort of young. If I do maybe I'll post the results... :)

Herobizkit said:
The game has merit. The font alone had me thinking more about a cutesy-kid game and less hack n slash. My only suggestion would be to use a 2d6 system rather than all sorts of different dice. Keeps everything the same so your kids don't get confused, and if they're missing dice, they can take 'em from Candyland or Yahtzee... hehe

Another fun idea would be to use cards. Not sure how it would work, but I could see Uno cards subbing for stat checks... or something... like colors for "degrees" of success... maybe?

I like the idea of cards. But I really think the kids would like using all the different kinds of dice. They cant seem to keep their hands off them whenever I have them out. I think they would be disappointed somehow if all they got to roll was D6s for instance. Plus like I mentioned above I like the exact probabilities the Ratio system provides. For instance if your lockpicking skill was 5 and the lock was rated 8, 2D6 would not really give you a 5 wins to every 8 losses.

I mean, come on, we have all these weird dice, why not use them as best we can? They can give us perfect percentages with used in this manner. :cool:

P.S. Candyland doesn't use D6s.... it uses a colored deck of cards. I outta know from all the times I have played it with the kids. And I think its high time they, and me, move up to something else. ;)

Last edited:

snikle

First Post
Larcen, just thought I would post a little update. We did a little playtesting today, ended up getting into a discussion more based on the rules I had written up for rapid fire weapons so got a little off track. However, as we started the two people in the test had barely even read my rules and after a short description about how the mechanic worked they had it easy. And the little bit of testing we did, the mechanic seemed sound in practice.....I think you have a winner here.
And using the VGT with any size die worked perfect, the d22 I rolled to nail the hero was perfect!

Larcen

Explorer
snikle said:
Larcen, just thought I would post a little update. We did a little playtesting today, ended up getting into a discussion more based on the rules I had written up for rapid fire weapons so got a little off track. However, as we started the two people in the test had barely even read my rules and after a short description about how the mechanic worked they had it easy. And the little bit of testing we did, the mechanic seemed sound in practice.....I think you have a winner here.
And using the VGT with any size die worked perfect, the d22 I rolled to nail the hero was perfect!

Excellent! I really wanted to join you guys tonight, but I had company over and couldnt get online until now. I am actually very excited to try the system out. It's funny but I feel like until I actually use it and roll some dice, virtual or otherwise, the system is all just theory... despite how nice I think it looks on paper.

I will follow up with you in some manner hopefully soon. I do want to try a lot of the ideas you guys are discussing over there at FUM.

snikle

First Post
I will be doing another MapTool demo/playtest on Sunday afternoon (time not settled yet) if you wanted to get in on it, or anyone for that matter. We could make it an AK playtest if you wanted, that would be fine with me (need to rethink the rapid fire structure I made before I get back in there).

Frostmarrow

First Post
Larcen said:
Glad you liked it. What I was going for when I came up with the Ratio system was a mechanic that had perfect probabilities. The way I see it, if something rated 3 was going up against something rated 1, that is a 3:1 ratio, so the 3 should win exactly three times more than the 1. I don't know of any other system that is this exact in determining success.

Instead of using the different dice types, you could do more complicated math and come up with percentages, a 75% in the example above for instance, but I think the method I am using is more elegant. And fun since you get to actually use all those dice collected thru the years.

My sentiment exactly. It turns out your system is even more elegant than I first thought. I hadn't noticed the perfect probabilities. I just love different dice. Almost all my DIY-systems use different dice. :)

So in a contest I roll against your talent and if I succeed you lose a point. Then you do something to me? So there are no 'opposed' rolls?

wolfpunk

First Post
Let us not forget Razor in the Apple which is in the True 20 Worlds of Adventure book. That is designed for players to create children, although it obviously has a darker theme. It does have some good stuff in it though.

I think you have a come up with a very solid idea, I like the execution. Now if I only had some kids to play it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads