New RPGs announced from Evil Hat - Apocalypse Keys, Project: Perseus

Didn't see anyone mention this yet, but Evil Hat has announced two new RPGs, and my friend Jammi is writing one of them 🙂

Project: Perseus is a "spies vs the supernatural" RPG using the Powered by the Apocalypse framework, with asymmetrical roles for the Agents and their handlers. It's by Stras Acimovic and John LeBoeuf-Little (Scum and Villainy, Band of Blades) so I expect great stuff from them.

Project Perseus

Apocalypse Keys is a "monsters investigate unknown mysteries to stop the apocalypse," RPG in the style of Hellboy and the BPRD, also Powered by the Apocalypse. The monstrous PCs have to balance their dangerous powers with emotional entanglements and portents of ruin tied to their dark natures.

Apocalypse Keys

It's the first game by Filipino designer Jammi Nedjadi to make it into print. I'm really excited about this one - Jammi has already done some great work on itch.io over the past two years, including the GMless supernatural cyberpunk game Balikbayan: Returning Home. The writing drips with flavour and Jammi's layout and visual design is really outstanding as well.

BALIKBAYAN: Returning Home by Jamila R. Nedjadi

Jammi previously made the news as the contributor of the tarot-based Voidwalkers, one of the games offered as an exclusive on the Role platform Kickstarter last year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/role/role-a-new-kind-of-platform-for-the-rpg-community

Dicebreaker has more coverage on Apocalypse Keys here:

Hold back an impending disaster in Hellboy-inspired RPG Apocalypse Keys

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It'll be interesting to see how these each differ from Black Hat's Monster of the Week, which could certainly tell stories like these. (An Apocalypse Keys MotW game would require most everyone to play a Monstrous character, of course, and I don't know how well MotW could differentiate more than two or three of them in a group.)

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
I find it interesting that Evil Hat is now being the publisher for other peoples games as well. Both of these are Powered by the Apocalypse as far as I gathered.
They did the production and publication work for Blades In The Dark and Scum and Villainy - there's no intrinsic reason why they should be tied to FATE, and the terms of the PbtA IP certainly don't preclude its use in this way. More power to them.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I got the notice about this too and signed up for the playtest material. Both games sound very interesting. I haven’t been able to look through it yet, but I’m looking forward to it.

The asymmetrical agent/handler angle of Project: Perseus has me particularly interested.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases