• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Scout class

TomCosta1

First Post
Inspired by some 2E kits, which I considered for another subclass, here is a new background....

Pest Killer
Crawling through the deep and dirty places, stronghold dungeons, city sewers, and the Underdark, you are an expert in setting traps and in hunting down minor animals and monster nuisances, whether rats, giant spiders, carrion crawlers, or even kobolds. You have learned the habitats and reproductive habits of your prey to better trap and kill them. While you are often ignored in polite society, you have always found a need for your services. In the Realms, you are readily employed from Neverwinter to Calimport and beyond, and in cities along the Sea of Fallen Stars, as well as dwarf and gnome strongholds across Faerûn. You are likely a member of guild of some sort.

Skill Proficiencies: Nature, Survival
Tool Proficiencies: Poisoner’s kit, trapmaker’s kit
Equipment: A hunting tap, a hooded lantern, 2 candles, a trapmaker’s kit, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 5 gp
Starting Lifestyle: Comfortable

Feature: Guilded Sewer Rat
You have a knack for making your way through the deep and dirty places. You can recall the twists and turns of passageways and tunnels such that you can always retrace your steps in dungeons, sewers, and underground. Moreover, due to your longtime usage of poisons, you are capable of using a poisoner’s kit to make antitoxin.
As the member of a guild, you can rely on your guild to offer you a place to meet other members of your profession and to pay for your funeral if needed. So long as you are a member in good standing, your guild can gain you access to powerful political figures, though such connections might require the donation of money to the guilds’ coffers and the political figures may start with a level of disdain toward you. You must pay dues of 2 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guilds’ good graces.

Suggested Characteristics
Pest killers are often among the most ordinary people, if often filthy, smelly, and generally ignored. Nevertheless, they understand the value of hard work and the importance of community, even if they themselves are often loners.

d8 Personality Trait
1 I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
2 I’m always picking things—mostly detritus—up to see if I can fix it or sell it.
3 I misuse long words in an attempt to sound smarter.
4 I believe anything worth doing is worth doing right. I can’t help it—I’m a perfectionist.
5 When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
6 I’m isolated most of the time, feel awkward around people, and prefer to talk to the vermin I capture.
7 I feel empathy for those suffering and like to help others.
8 I have no sense of social mores, am always dirty, smelly, and uncouth.

d6 Ideal
1 Respect: All people deserve respect and to be treated with dignity, regardless of station. (Good)
2 Fairness: We all do our part in the world, and so we should all share in the rewards. (Lawful)
3 Change: The low are lifted up, and the high and mighty are brought down. Change is the nature of things. (Chaotic)
4 Greed: The arrogant and the noble need to be shown what life and death are like in the gutters. (Evil)
5 Sincerity: There is no good in pretending to be something I’m not. (Neutral)
6 Aspiration: Someday, I’ll find my way out of the sewers and chart my own path. (Any)

d6 Bond
1 A proud noble once gave me a horrible beating, and I will take my revenge on any bully I encounter.
2 My tools are symbols of my past life, and I carry them so that I will never forget my roots.
3 My childhood sweetheart was married to another, but I will always love them.
4 I pursue wealth to secure someone’s love.
5 My family, clan, or guild is the most important thing in my life.
6 Filthy vermin killed those precious to me. Vengeance will be mine.

d6 Flaw
1 I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.
2 I’m jealous of those of higher birth who don’t have to toil in the dirt.
3 I take advantage of people’s desperation and overcharge them.
4 I enjoy killing and throw myself into my work, avoiding people out of fear of what I might do.
5 I remember every insult I’ve received and nurse a silent resentment toward anyone who’s ever wronged me.
6 I assume that most people will look down on me because of my background, start most interactions being gruff and rude, and am quick to anger.

Greenfeuer

Explorer
This looks really nice! I am actually thinking of playing as a scout in our upcoming 5th edition game :D

Played as a Halfling Sling Master + Trapper in Pathfinder - We wanna try convert our characters into this :)

Remove ads