D&D (2024) New Survey Results | Druid & Paladin | Unearthed Arcana | D&D

Folks loved the paladin, but wildshape was divisive!

WotC has shared a new video going over the survey results following the drud and paladin playtests for One D&D.

For those who don't have time to watch the video, here are some general notes.

Paladin
  • Did extremely well in terms of satisfaction
  • All class and subclass features scored 70% or higher - lowest was Divine Smite at 72%
  • Got some pushback in written feedback on being able to smite on ranged attacks - class identity concerns, Paladin viewed as melee-centric class, ranged smites might eat into Cleric/Ranger identity too much
  • Positive feedback on redesigned smite spells - may become paladin exclusive spells down the road
Druid
  • Wild Shape feedback seems to be split - slight majority saying "never want this Wild Shape in print", slight minority saying "this is their favorite version of Wild Shape they've ever seen"
  • People love the texture and differences in beast options in '14 Wild Shape, but are open to feature being easier to use (i.e. don't want players to have to weigh the merits of 100+ stat blocks every time they want to use Wild Shape)
  • Will have another take on Wild Shape next time Druid appears in Playtest UA
  • General concept of Channel Nature seems to have gone over well, but want to see more done with it
  • Expected feedback for restoring elemental forms for Moon Druids, but instead found people wanted to lean more into Lunar themes
  • Want Moon Druid forms to be more resilient, but still want to reign in power at high levels (frequent/unlimited uses of Wild Shape constantly refreshing HP total)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If you're going to do that, they might as well BE SPELLS. I mean this as a good thing: What's wrong with making a bunch of shapeshifting spells (more than just Polymorph). That way, they can balance the power of the animal you turn into using spell levels; more than just Druids could theoretically do it; AND you can still give Druids free access and "free castings" (using Channel Nature).
I’d be fine with that as well. My only note is that making it a “spell” denotes a different type of fiction than making it a class ability. As a spell, it can be put on a scroll, learned by a bard as a magical secret, etc.

mellored said:
(what deity has bows as favorite weapons?)

mellored said:
(what deity has bows as favorite weapons?)
The Silver Flame in Eberron.

Nature/ranger deities, sure, but also sacred/divine vengeance assassin types.

I actually have no problem with ranged smites, balance-wise (and I don't think the designers do either). But how many people will turn into ranged "striker" paladins as opposed to the tanky types, because it is safer for the character and technically allowed? That can completely change how paladins are perceived in the lore if that becomes the norm.

I’d be fine with that as well. My only note is that making it a “spell” denotes a different type of fiction than making it a class ability. As a spell, it can be put on a scroll, learned by a bard as a magical secret, etc.

It also completely negates the fantasy of the non-spellcasting shapeshifter, something thats sort of possible to do with the Druids we've had in 5e/1DND.

Frankly though Im still in the camp that shapeshifting should just be segregated into its own class. The design space for the Druid is hella cramped trying to support it and the shapeshifting itself is also held back by the same issue.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It also completely negates the fantasy of the non-spellcasting shapeshifter, something thats sort of possible to do with the Druids we've had in 5e/1DND.

Frankly though Im still in the camp that shapeshifting should just be segregated into its own class. The design space for the Druid is hella cramped trying to support it and the shapeshifting itself is also held back by the same issue.
Oh, I’ve said that for years, but it’s not going to happen in official 5e.

lvl20dm

Explorer
My hope is they aren't too restrictive on those smite spells. I think the Cleric should definitely have access to at least some of them. I'd like paladins to at least be able to smite with thrown weapons.

A more developed template system for wild shape should work. Instead of land, air and water shapes they could be focused more on role (skirmisher, protector, scout, etc) with customizable options like the ability to climb, poison attacks, and so forth. As you level they gain more options like water breathing, flight, bloodthirsty, etc.

The comments on the Moon Druid surprised me, too. Even though I'd often found the Elemental stuff odd as it didn't match the description of the subclass in the PHB. I think an emphasis on the predatory aspects of nature would be a better fit for the subclass.

Obstacle?

What D&D fan doesn’t like pouring thru the monster manual?

It just strikes me as an absurd conjecture.

One of my players in her second campaign ever loved it. She mentioned it was like having a real book animal knowledge.

I mean, I know I don't like it, but largely because there are very clearly optimal choices when it comes to this approach because it's almost impossible to balance monsters as both monsters and transformation choices at that level. There is plenty of design space to put a basic template on and create lenses that give more character and definition to each one while also balancing them among each other so there aren't clear winners and losers.

You also get extra benefit beyond that. For example, being able to scale wildshape to level and thus still allowing people to use things like bear forms when normally they'd be way underpowered for the adventure. Similarly it also opens up the design space to homebrew because you are adjusting a template through a lens rather than creating a whole new creature and trying to put a CR on it.

Remove ads

Remove ads