New Tariffs On RPGs Printed In China

ICv2 is reporting on new tariffs on imports to the USA from China, which include various categories of items including toys, comics, and games... including tabletop RPGs. The tariffs are up to 25%. Many game companies print RPG books in China, so this will affect them.

ICv2 is reporting on new tariffs on imports to the USA from China, which include various categories of items including toys, comics, and games... including tabletop RPGs. The tariffs are up to 25%. Many game companies print RPG books in China, so this will affect them.

china.png

The New York Times reports on it in more depth.

So, here's a simple breakdown of it as I understand it -- while tabletop games are not currently under any tariff, they will be affected by the 25% rate coming in a couple of months. There's a grace period of about three weeks for items in transit.

The tariff doesn't necessarily mean the games will cost 25% more. It's based on the manufacturing and shipping costs, which are only a part of the cost of producing a product. The price increase to consumers, therefore, will likely be substantially lower than 25% (although it's completely up to the companies how they handle it - some might even just absorb it, while others will pass it on).

It'll likely start showing in prices in games in Autumn or so.

This, of course, only affects games printed in China and shipped to America. And lost of other things, apart from games!

I

Immortal Sun

Sure. Provide a detailed economical analysis then. We’ll wait. :)

I'm certain folks have posted far more detailed analyses of the impacts of magic on the development of fantasy elven society for their settings than we will ever see socio-political-economic commentary on the trade relationship between China, the USA and everyone else.

mykediemart

Explorer
Personally I wouldn't expect a detailed analysis of the economics of trade and tariffs on an RPG website, but perhaps my expectations are off ;)

What? well some of us do ... now I'm off for legal advice via twitter, and political news from facebook :cool:

I was reading recently China seized and destroyed some CoC books set in Shanghai, just going off memory. This I think should be more concerning.

I think the biggest products that will be hit hard by this would be the pre-painted miniatures line as they already from what I've heard are pricey to produce in china and if they are affected by this I dont even want to think of what the price will go to.

I quit buying when they went from 8 figures for 12-14 a pack to 4 figures for 13-15 a pack.

Trastone

Villager
Sure. Provide a detailed economical analysis then. We’ll wait. :)

I fell asleep while typing up the snooze fest! Hopefully everything will blow over and my fav games stay around the same price. If not, then I might be buying a few less until wages raise to counter for inflation.. stopping cause it’s just too boring to go on about!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If the prices do go up significantly for US customers, it should provide a feeling of schadenfreude to European Kickstarter backers.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads