New UA Paladin Sacred Oaths are Oath of Conquest and the Oath of Treachery

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
A good king is honourable, and deals with foes as equals (think of the famous story of Saladin providing King Richard with a horse) - a good king does not set out to crush and destroy his enemies.

Slightly off topic, but King Richard would make an almost perfect role model for a hellknight Oath of Conquest Paladin.
Isn't he credited as once telling his soldiers "We are sons of the Devil, and until him we shall return!"?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I think a lot of confusion comes from the connotations that come with a word like subjugation. They are generally negative, at least in this day and age.

The definition of such a word does not discuss anything particularly evil. To bring one to submission or under one's governance (usually through conquest) it in my opinion totally neutral.

We could discuss how a 'good' nation would have stopped once it was clear it had the upper hand in a war, and seek immediate peace. We don't all see everything the same way. As well, not every foe is going to agree to play nice. In a world of stark good and evil, one could argue that evil must be opposed and expunged. If mercy or reasoning does not work, then you can turn to the strong will of a Paladin of Conquest.

People can stick to suggestions in books if they like. I tend to run a far more grayer world morality wise. There can still be objectively good and evil things, but the vast majority of creatures are simply trying to live as best they can.

I guess they should refrain from even mentioning Hell Knights and wait to place them in a side-bar once or if the path comes to print. I will make sure to note this in the survey.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Gotta say, on a gut level these don't really sound like paladins to me. Just "very determined fighters" or "fighters who have sworn to do something."

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Slightly off topic, but King Richard would make an almost perfect role model for a hellknight Oath of Conquest Paladin.
Isn't he credited as once telling his soldiers "We are sons of the Devil, and until him we shall return!"?

Even Richard knew there was no point in taking Jerusalem if they couldn't hold it. So yeah I guess if he couldn't subjugate his enemy, or at least the populace of the City he was trying to conquer, than he saw no point in fighting the battle. That seems to fit to me.

As an aside I would argue that Richard was not "Good" by the D&D definition, but I think that's likely true of any historic king.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Just because it seems we can stack so many instances of damage with Poison strike, here are two more

-It isn’t a concentration spell ability, so you can cast a smite spell and add that on top (requires an extra round of prep)

-You can coat your weapon in a mundane poison as well, adding more potential dice for damage

This can get kind of ridiculous

Nations/organizations allowing for dissent to exist is a pretty modern occurrence. In the past and in a lot of fiction, dissent is usually dealt with quickly and viciously. Even by 'Good' or 'Rightful' rulers. I see nothing there that declares it as evil. I do see things that walk a line. A line that the player has to deal with and roleplay. Once that could potentially cause the kind of internal conflict that fuels interesting stories, or that leads to an oath-breaker(or treachery) that is also not evil. Maybe even a tragic telling of a good person who falls due to these tenets and later has a chance to redeem themselves, and maybe the organization as well.

I hear a lot of grumpiness and disinterest, but all I see are chances for interesting, real, and compelling characters that drive the story to interesting places.

I mostly agree with you, but I do see a lot of potential problems caused by this role-playing as well. “Your word is law and you brook no dissent” has been pointed out as ripe for bad times in the party. If the paladin feels their oath requires them to be obeyed, then they don’t do well in the structure of the typical adventuring group.

I’m not saying it is impossible, and it could very well be interesting, but there are a lot of pitfalls here that could lead to that character causing hard feelings at the table. I’m not excited about that since those crop up often enough on their own.

Continuing to read the thread… I think we may have two different approaches.

If conquest focuses on LAW, then things can be slightly different. It says brook no dissent, but if you set up an appeals court, is using the court dissent or following your Law?
If conquest focuses on MIGHT, then it becomes much harder to defend as a good-aligned option.

This is why I want a slight reworking of the language. I like the paladin who is the Iron Law, who works within a system and promotes strict adherence to that system, and destroy or converts those who seek to undermine the system.

I’m not so excited about the paladin who seeks to impose his will, his law, and brooks no dissent with his words. The paladin who sets out to be an tyrant ruling the lands with an iron will and iron fist.

Make the oath more centered around a society of laws instead of personal power, and I think we’re okay, but right now I think the blurriness of that line is what is causing a lot of the dissent.

It is the difference to me of being a Tyrant, or the arm of an Empire. Tyrant is more evil, Arm of the Empire is more neutral.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Just because it seems we can stack so many instances of damage with Poison strike, here are two more

-It isn’t a concentration spell ability, so you can cast a smite spell and add that on top (requires an extra round of prep)

-You can coat your weapon in a mundane poison as well, adding more potential dice for damage

I mostly agree with you, but I do see a lot of potential problems caused by this role-playing as well. “Your word is law and you brook no dissent” has been pointed out as ripe for bad times in the party. If the paladin feels their oath requires them to be obeyed, then they don’t do well in the structure of the typical adventuring group.

I’m not saying it is impossible, and it could very well be interesting, but there are a lot of pitfalls here that could lead to that character causing hard feelings at the table. I’m not excited about that since those crop up often enough on their own.

If conquest focuses on LAW, then things can be slightly different. It says brook no dissent, but if you set up an appeals court, is using the court dissent or following your Law?
If conquest focuses on MIGHT, then it becomes much harder to defend as a good-aligned option.

This is why I want a slight reworking of the language. I like the paladin who is the Iron Law, who works within a system and promotes strict adherence to that system, and destroy or converts those who seek to undermine the system.

I’m not so excited about the paladin who seeks to impose his will, his law, and brooks no dissent with his words. The paladin who sets out to be an tyrant ruling the lands with an iron will and iron fist.

Make the oath more centered around a society of laws instead of personal power, and I think we’re okay, but right now I think the blurriness of that line is what is causing a lot of the dissent.

It is the difference to me of being a Tyrant, or the arm of an Empire. Tyrant is more evil, Arm of the Empire is more neutral.

Right, I think, if the flavor text used isn't in fact provisional but what they intend to use in the finished product, then problems could be had.

Regardless I think that unless a very clear idea of a campaign is used, a session zero to help set party dynamic is needed. I honestly have fallen in love with the session zero talks now, as I makes my job so much easier as a DM and it curtails a lot of conflict that could happen down the road is some of the more... unique parties.

An example I suppose for my campaign mention would be like... if your players were all coming from the same Government or Order of knights or something. They would have a reason to stick with one another and not really oppose one another as much as a random rogue partying with this Conquest guy he met at a tavern. I think this path at least would work well if the whole party is at work against a common and clear goal.

Treachery is a harder one to figure out, party dynamic wise, but not impossible. I would ultimately make mine off this concept of the oaths or order you belonged to left you feeling broken or betrayed and that is now why you are seeking your own power. And would be a good reason for being custom to running away, if say a Knightly order was after you.

When the conquest paladin's player starts hinting that it would be appropriate for a persuasion check (or worse yet an intimidation check) against the other PC's if they disagree with his/her paladin (and reminding everyone about the paladin's nice charisma score), you know it will be a long, unpleasant session......

About the arm of the empire bit, that seems like the oath of the crown's gig. Not that they couldn't start doing that (say with an oath of justice paladin who more concerned about bring his/her prey than the death-dealing vengeance paladin), but there aren't so many paladin subclasses (yet) that it would be necessary to fill in that level of detail.

I think I am coming around to Jester David's POV on these subclasses--they are testing the waters to see if we want more creepy/evil PC options (bard and paladin), more magic barbarians (and more magic but spell-less PC options in general), fighter classes with built in fluff, etc. As such, I think these are evil by intent and that intent is to see if a bunch of people go "cool" or "how could you?" in the survey. [And for the record, my answers are: yes, evil is okay, but putting it in the DM section is best (forbidden fruit); magic barbarians are good; I appreciate keeping the number of magic systems low in 5e and I am sure at some point I will think there are too many magical class/subclass features for noncasters, but that is a long way in the future and may not happen; and I think the convenience of fluffed fighters for new/casual/busy players outweighs the problems, but I would also be open to sidebars: here is the most convenient way to make a samurai with a battlemaster, etc. not listing out every step, but some of the big steps, like the quick start instructions in the PHB.]

Chaosmancer

Legend
I found these Oaths to be bad on their face.
Didn't even bother to read through the mechanics of the abilities, I disliked them that much.

This always bugs me. Even the worst stuff can have one or two ideas worth saving. I just don't get declaring something so bad you won't even look at it.

Bad enough to ban, totally, but... I like knowing what each design idea was, in case I want to steal something from it for another project

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases