D&D 5E New WotC Survey! Learn About A New D&D Product!

WotC has launched a new survey about the future of D&D. This survey includes an NDA (which some people have not taken to well!) halfway through, which asks you not to talk about the survey on pain of being tracked down and fined, but it's about an upcoming (unannounced) new D&D product. You can find out what it is by taking the survey (or it's all over social media aready).

imagineGod

Legend
I'm only a bit anxious because I've so-far bought every book both in hardcover and on DDB… if I have to buy them over again on a WotC-run platform re-do of DDB, I'll be more than a little frustrated…
Anyone who purchase print books,, many of those early 5e adopters have reached peak capacity, with more books than can be played, especially if the also purchase Third Party Products for 5e.

So future purchases from over 30s will probably be lower than those from newer arrivals in their teens and 20s.

Getting the newish folk to purchase everything from scratch on a new platform is more profitable than catering to those who already own a lot of 5e books in digital and grumble about purchasing them yet again.

Those grumbling can also just wait for a yearly discount offer, since those always come round on all digital platforms. And bulk digital purchases are cheaper than individual ones.

Of course waiting on a discount means you will not be the first to own Draconomicon 5e.

It may be nothing, but the DDB folks keep saying what a big year it is going to be for them and how excited they are. Then hinting that they can't say anything yet about why. Last week was the 'this is the quiet before the storm' comment. And this week in discussing their goal of "continued integration of our shared played space.", Starr said 'I know it doesn't makes sense on its own. It will. Man, it will . . . it's a cool year for us . . . It'll start making a little more sense . . ."

Now, a completely reasonable interpretation is that this has nothing to do with any WotC digital plans and that they are simply excited about an upcoming, as yet unannounced, major upgrade in their own toolset.

Another interpretation could be . . .

AD

I find it highly likely WotC would buy D&D Beyond as part of this, unwise such hypothetical new digital product would step all over D&D Beyonds toes.

lkj

Hero
There ate other possibilities, theoretically. There are other business models than buying e-books, that may or may not have occurred to WotC.

Yes. A subscription. But-- without some sort of credit-- this would do nothing to appease an apparently very large number of people who bought the books at DDB because that was the only choice allowed at the time. Bradford certainly intimated that a subscription model was discussed at DDB but didn't go forward-- quite likely due to the licensing agreement with WotC.

AD

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes. A subscription. But-- without some sort of credit-- this would do nothing to appease an apparently very large number of people who bought the books at DDB because that was the only choice allowed at the time. Bradford certainly intimated that a subscription model was discussed at DDB but didn't go forward-- quite likely due to the licensing agreement with WotC.

AD
There are options other than subscription that WotC may be considering. More...liberated, theoretically.

Remove ads

Remove ads