New WotC Web Site Look

KenM

Banned
Banned
Zulithe said:
Most computer users these days run their desktop at 1024x768 or above. My computer is showing its age too, so I feel for users with older computers, but there comes a time where you need to either upgrade or bite your lip when the rest of technology is "moving on".

I agree with you, I have a friend that refuses to upgrade his system at all. He is still on 56k, he never bothers to upgrade his system with patches or upgrades, but he always bitches when his computer screws up.
Back on topic, love the new look.

Mystery Man

First Post
The D&D glossary is cool but it refreshes the whole page rather than just the definition frame. If they used .Net code it would run faster and not refresh the whole page. Alas it would only run correctly on IE though. Too bad. Other than that I like the new look and its about time.

Last edited:

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
Too bad their product page ("products") still stinks to high heaven. They still don't have a page that lists all D&D books for the current edition.

-Clint

Uh, it's not just a question of older PCs using the lower resolution. I've had the option to increase my resolution for years and years. My wife, however, likes the lower resolution because she dislikes the tiny text of the higher resolution. The trend of increasing the default resolution of websites isn't really a technology related question, it's a taste related one (at least in my case). I agree that some basic web design principles, like not making the page scroll sideways for lower resolution screens, should have been applied.

Also, it's spiffy and all that, but it's too spiffy. It's too graphically and flash intensive for me to feel very comfortable browsing at work, and I won't have as much time to do so at home (plus my resolution is lower, as stated above) so for all intents and purposes, the new website is now useless to me.

Mystery Man

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Now, that's interesting.
They both resolve to a set of IP's in the same subnet at either wizards or hasbro. It's a common practice for corporations and other facilities to run different domain names to the same IP in the DNS for a number of years.

rowport

First Post
Well, for D&D's sake, I am glad that most of the community seems to like the changes to its web site. Personally, though, I must disagree.

I do agree that it looks good- in the sense of lots of impressive graphical eye candy, but not in the sense of clean graphic design, it is just too busy. And worse, the navigation is a nightmare- completely non-intuitive. Ick. :\

Mystery Man said:
They both resolve to a set of IP's in the same subnet at either wizards or hasbro. It's a common practice for corporations and other facilities to run different domain names to the same IP in the DNS for a number of years.
Yes, thank you, I've also known that for years. I'm just a bit surprised that the old tsr.com domain is still active.

Remove ads