News Digest: Empyrea Canceled, New Stranger Things Game, Warhammer 40K Comics, and more!

Hello, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news. The Empyrea Kickstarter has been canceled amid controversy, statistical analysis of what we're playing on D&D, Stranger Things gets a card game, a new Warhammer 40K comic book, and more!

Hello, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news. The Empyrea Kickstarter has been canceled amid controversy, statistical analysis of what we're playing on D&D, Stranger Things gets a card game, a new Warhammer 40K comic book, and more!

First, a correction. Last week I reported on a controversy involving comments from The Dice Tower founder Tom Vasel. I wrote that The Dice Tower shares ownership with online retailer Cool Stuff Inc. This is inaccurate. Cool Stuff Inc. only shares ownership with the yearly convention Dice Tower Con and is a sponsor, not an owner, of The Dice Tower podcasts and video shows. I apologize for the error.

Late on the evening of October 18, the third update was posted to Frank Mentzer’s Empyrea Fantasy Setting Kickstarter announcing its cancellation. The full update is available in the link, and while there are no specific reasons given for the cancellation, the post speaks of many issues frequently brought up with Kickstarters and crowdfunding in the tabletop game industry. From support for local game stores to variety of content to vague talk of “hostilities” regarding different game systems, the post comments on much but doesn’t give a definitive answer to why the project is being cancelled outside the statement “Thus, I will not use crowdfunding to circumvent the hobby for my personal benefit.”

However, at the time of cancellation, the project only managed to raise $61,887 of a $250,000. To be so far from a base funding goal in such a large campaign is usually a sign to pull the plug and it’s frequent for many companies to cancel campaigns rather than risk them completing without funding due to the time and cost to promote a crowdfunding campaign and the “bad look” of a failed campaign. Usually, such campaigns are repackaged and reworked with either a lower funding goal (especially with projects as ambitious as the Empyrea project) or the projects move forward with different revenue streams if at all.

The cancellation also comes shortly after former Paizo Project Manager and Gen Con Industry Insider Jessica Price posted a Twitter thread speaking of Frank Mentzer’s 2015 interactions with her and an unnamed friend. The thread describes and has screenshots of Mentzer’s “gross” interactions on Facebook following a convention and a later interaction where he reportedly blamed the victim of a sexual assault for her own attack, describing her as “sick” and needing to “get help”. After blocking Mentzer on Facebook, he made a vague public post referencing the interaction with “an established industry professional” blocking him, further stating, “Be sure your Great Cause is worth it. If you’re going to slam and lock a door, be sure you’re never going to need it again.” After this thread was posted, several members of the Empyrea team resigned, including designer Ted Fauster (who wrote a long blog post about his resignation), crowdfunding engineer Mike Myler, and Kevin Wilson (who was credited on the Kickstarter page only as “Business”)

Update: Mike Myler resigned from the Empyrea project before Jessica Price's posts for unrelated reasons. This is the statement from his website: All of my campaign settings are the result of crowdfunded projects and I’m 6/6 (thank you awesome backers!!!) There was one hiccup that people are probably going to be curious about–I am (despite requests from before launch and afterwards) credited as “Crowdfunding Engineer” for the Empyrea Kickstarter. This is not accurate. It would be unseemly for me to speak on it at length but I will share this small snippet of my contract because its intent was clear: I knew that decisions beyond my power to control or influence had fatally flawed the project, with such a high level of confidence that I demanded an amendment to my contract specifically detailing the primary element I knew was the biggest problem. I sent my resignation letter the morning of October 17th and wish them the very best of luck.

There is no announced timeframe for when or even if the Empyrea campaign setting will relaunch, either through crowdfunding or through traditional funding methods.

In a move that seems very “How was this not already a thing?”, Hasbro has signed a deal with Netflix to produce games based on the television series Stranger Things. Considering the prominent placement of Dungeons & Dragons in the show, it seems a shoe-in of a cross-promotional deal. However, there has not yet been any announcement of a D&D book involving any of the show’s elements. We are getting an Eggo-themed card game featuring Eleven on the cover (pictured above) where each player takes on the role of one of the show’s characters attempting to be the first to discard their entire hand with the various “gimmick” cards themed around the Upside Down and Demogorgon. The game will be available for an MSRP of $15.00 this fall, timed to the release of the second season of the show.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 19.47.44.png

The statistics website FiveThirtyEight, which rose to prominence during the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections with their predictive algorithms, turned their eye to Dungeons & Dragons data available from the D&D Beyond app for character class and race choices. The dataset includes all race/class combinations from August 15 to September 15, 2017, and showed that the by far most popular race/class combination is the Human Fighter with 4,888 characters created out of every 100,000, with Elf Ranger coming in at second with 3,076. The least popular race/class combination is Aasimar Ranger, which had only 60 characters created per 100,000. The most popular class overall is Fighter and race is Human, while the least popular is Druid and Aasimar.

A new licensed comic series, Warhammer 40K: Deathwatch, is on its way this January from Titan Comics. The four-issue miniseries will be written by Aaron Dembski-Bowden (author of multiple licensed Warhammer 40K novels) and art from Wagner Reis (artist on multiple Dynamite Comics lines including Vampirella, Warlord of Mars, and Red Sonja). The first issue will ship with three variant covers, while the series will focus on a fight between the Deathwatch defending an entire sector from hordes of Orks. The first issue releases January 3.

Speaking of Dynamite Comics and artist Wagner Reis, the Humble RPG Book Pathfinder Worldscape Ultimate Crossover Bundle is still available. This bundle features both game books for Pathfinder as well as comic books from the series and from other Dynamite Comics titles including ones Reis has worked on previously. There are different levels with even the $1 level getting you five game books, six maps, twenty-seven comics, and it goes up from there with more Pathfinder rulebooks, Pathfinder Society adventures, and Dynamite Comics graphic novels and comics. The $45 level has a total retail value of $667 and includes all four physical print comics for the crossovers with The Traveler, Reanimator, Vampirella, and Dejah Thorin set in the Pathfinder world as well as physical unpainted miniatures for Red Sonja, John Carter of Mars, Tarzan, Tars Tarkas, and a Starfinder human envoy miniature. If you want in on this bundle, you’ve got until Wednesday, October 25.

Undead is the third sourcebook for Chill 3rd Edition focusing on ponies. No, I’m kidding, it’s the undead obviously. Lots of undead. Zombies, vampires, liches, and more with enough variations of each to keep them fresh and interesting. And they’ve just broken the stretch goal for a special case written by Steve Kenson, who will be joining Chris Spivey, Sarah Richardson, Morgan A. McLaughlin McFarland, and more working on cases for this project, plus a brand new comic from Leonard O’Grady. The PDF is available for a $15 pledge, while the softcover is added on for $25. If you missed out on Chill 3rd Edition’s release, there’s the $35 level to get the core rulebook and the new Undead sourcebook and the $70 to get both in physical copy as well (Chill is a hardcover while Undead is a softcover printing). This campaign has not yet funded but still has until Halloween, Tuesday, October 31 (fitting for Chill) to hit its $16,000 goal.

Endure the Stars is a science fiction dungeon crawler game where 1-6 players take on the roles of the surviving crew of a planet colonization ship attempting to survive a catastrophe. This is a second printing of the original game listed as a “1.5 edition” that updates and streamlines the rules and upgrades the components. The game itself focuses on tracking down escaped genetic lifeforms meant to assist in planetary colonization that have escaped on the ship, which is represented by a variable game board you explore as the game progresses. The game plus all expansions and stretch goals is available for a £72 pledge (about US$96) while those who already own the game can get the upgrades alone for £28 (about US$37) or the expansions as well for £48 (about US$64). This Kickstarter is fully funded and runs until Tuesday, October 24.

A narrative cooperative board game themed around 1940s noir mystery? I am at a loss for how much this presses my buttons. But yes, Detective: City of Angels actually is a thing no matter how much I pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming. Each of the 1-5 players takes on the role of a LAPD police detective trying to crack the case by interviewing witnesses and gathering evidence all over the city of Los Angeles. While this is not a Flying Frog game, you can see the clear influence as well as the works of Raymond Chandler, James Elroy, and the video game L.A. Noire. You can get the game alone for a $64 pledge, or add on the first expansion Bullets Over Hollywood with a $89 pledge. This project is at four times its funding goal and I couldn’t be more thrilled to see a genre of gaming I’ve felt is far too neglected getting this much attention, and hopefully gets even more until it closes on Thursday, November 2.

That’s all from me for this week! Find more gaming crowdfunding news at the EN World RPG Kickstarter News website, and don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you even more gaming news content. If you have any news to submit, email us at news@enworldnews.com. You can follow me on Twitter @Abstruse where I will be posting polls for what to cover next in my videos because I am far too indecisive, follow Gamer’s Tavern on YouTube featuring videos on gaming history and Let’s Plays, or you can listen to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

epithet

Explorer
I find it disheartening that people here are saying that Mentzer shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt. Everyone should get the benefit of doubt as to their guilt. In this situation, I gave him that benefit, then looked at the evidence provided, and my doubt was negated. It certainly seems that Mentzer was obnoxious, insensitive, and even belligerent on more than one occasion.

Still, it was appropriate for me to initially doubt the accusation against him, because we all--every one of us--have been (and will be) in situations where we were misunderstood, or where someone became angry and confrontational because of a mistake, either our own or someone else's. These things happen, and if we deserve the benefit of the doubt for cutting you off in traffic or taking the last donut, then it becomes even more important to avoid premature conclusions when the accusations are of serious offenses. These accusations against Mentzer are the sort that can (and should) dramatically affect public perception of him, and so it is entirely appropriate that the evidence Ms. Price offered should be examined with an open mind, and both she and Mr. Mentzer given "the benefit of the doubt."

I get that these issues are sensitive ones, and that making legitimate accusations of harassment is a difficult thing that leaves the accuser vulnerable. Really, I do. These accusation must always be taken seriously, but because they are so serious in nature, it is critical that we, as a society, not jump to early conclusions.

Fortunately, in this instance, there is ample evidence from which to draw reasoned conclusions, and those initial doubts can be dismissed. In many cases, however--perhaps most--that is not the case, and that creates a difficult situation. It is tempting to embrace the principle of "always believe the accuser," but that's no more justified that a predisposition to dismiss the accusation. The only fair approach is to give both the accuser and the accused the benefit of the doubt, and to draw conclusions from the evidence available.

We humans tend to look for simple solutions, especially to upsetting circumstances. We are all too willing to make emotional judgments. That's why, for instance, a juvenile accused of a truly heinous crime is often tried as an adult; a 14 year old might be too young to have a permanent record for shoplifting, but we can't seem to apply the same logic when we think of that kid "getting away with murder," even before he or she is convicted of a crime. In this instance, some people have an emotional predisposition to dismiss accusations against an icon of their favorite pastime, while others have an emotional predisposition to condemn anyone accused of creepy and inappropriate behavior. The only fair approach, in my opinion, is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and to keep an open mind.

I am not suggesting that everyone has to be fair, by the way. I totally get the emotional reactions to this kind of uncomfortable issue, and it is appropriate for people to channel their relevant experiences and associated feelings into their personal opinions, even on matters of public interest. I just wish it weren't taken to the point of condemning the very notion of giving an accused person--any person, accused of any misconduct--the same "benefit of the doubt" that is given to the accuser.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
"Innocent Before Proven Guilty" and "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt" are ideas that make a great pair of basis for a criminal justice system but they're pretty inadequate for interpersonal dealings and relationships, where we often don't have access to anything remotely resembling objective truth, and especially in situations of "he said, she said", because believing a person is actually a binary state. You either believe a person or you don't. You don't get to take some morally relativist stand where "maybe both of them are telling the truth" in situations where stories are contradictory. You have to choose a side, and refusing to choose a side is absolutely akin to choosing the side of the accused (or the perpetrator, depending on your point of view).

Of course, what's happened here is a little bit different, where the facts of the matter hardly seem to be in dispute, but rather their implications are. There are four things at issue; whether his flirting with Price was appropriate, what his positions on survivors "freezing up" says about him and his views, whether he crossed any additional boundaries by refusing to let the issue drop even after being asked to, and how appropriate his threats against Price were.

1) Yes, his flirting with Price over Facebook was absolutely inappropriate. You can set aside the age difference, or the fact that he's married, and narrow in on one very important factor which will come up later: his position within the industry. Mentzer is a giant of the industry, and has the ability to wield tremendous influence within it (well, maybe less so now than two years ago). While it's not quite as cut and dry (or as gross and insidious) as what Weinstein was doing, or what happens in more established professional relationships (such as a boss coming on to an employee), but I think there's a case to be made that there's a pretty clear power dynamic involved here that makes even "harmless flirting", if we were to call it that, clearly inappropriate. Fun fact: A married man telling a woman half his age, that he barely knows, unsolicited, that he wishes he were younger and unmarried so he could be with her? That is super fracking creepy regardless of the perceived/actual power dynamics in play. If that's the kind of thing you can classify as "harmless flirting" I'm fairly confident that you don't understand what flirting actually is, let alone know where it and is not appropriate to engage in.

2) I don't think anyone can honestly dispute that Mentzer's stated views on trauma survivors "freezing up" are ill-informed at best and retrograde and harmful at worst. This also seems to be the only piece without much clear evidence, but also that nobody really disputes. It's also probably the least relevant on its face unless one wants to delve deeper into them to try to glean anything specific about his overall character and views about women (even in the face of all the other clearly revealed evidence). Of course, our overall individual opinions on that almost assuredly says more about us than it says about him, so that's a minefield not entirely worth strolling down.

3) Here's where we start to talk about boundaries. One the one hand, if you're passionate about a thing you should probably shout that thing to whomever will listen to you. One the other hand, one private Facebook wall is a pretty personal private space, and I think it's important to respect the wishes of those who own that space. In particular given the subject matter (trauma) the participants (survivors) and Mentzer's stance (effectively victim blaming), Mentzer's refusal to listen to requests to stop was pretty disrespectful.

4) This is probably the worst part, and it keys back to why his behavior in (1) was so inappropriate in the first place; threatening to blacklist her from the industry for blocking him on Facebook. This is both (a) extremely childish and (b) the actual definition of retaliation in relation to sexual harassment. Whether he actually had that power is as irrelevant as it is doubtful; the fact that he somehow believed he had the power to accomplish it all makes it impossible to cast his behavior in (1) in any light differently than as sexual harassment, regardless of how "harmless" it may have appeared to some outside observers. If you think you have the power to influence someone's career you do not get to flirt with them in any way, that is the exact definition of sexual harassment. It is coercive behavior at best.

If were having a conversation about locking Mentzer up and throwing away the key, then I wouldn't have a bone to pick with the idea of giving him the benefit of the doubt. But at a basic, interpersonal level? There is absolutely no way to defend his actions as anything but problematic at best and atrocious at worst. At best he is a creepy, misogynistic old man.

With all due deference to the work he did to build the industry and the medium in its infancy, it will be a much, much better place without him.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So I stumbled across this story - the one about Frank Mentzer and Jessica Price - this morning, and I've spent the last few hours finding all of the information that I could. From what I can tell, there are three issues in play, here:

1. Frank's flirting - In her initial Twitter feed about what happened, Jessica posts a screencap where Frank appears to be (trying to) flirt with her. From what I can tell, they'd had some sort of professional contact before (I'm guessing PaizoCon), but otherwise the messaging looks like it's totally out of the blue. While it might be awkward, I don't think that this is necessarily crossing any sort of moral line, and I'm skeptical that it's worse than a faux paus, in terms of breaches of social etiquette.

2. Frank's opinion about the woman on the bus - According to Jessica's initial Twitter feed, Frank then (at some later date) joined a discussion regarding a Seattle woman who had been groped on a bus. She says that Frank, when he heard that the woman in question froze up during the incident, asked why she didn't attack the man groping her. From there, according to her, Frank expressed the opinion that freezing up during that sort of situation is "not normal," that if people don't fight back in such situations "the problem was with them," and that they're "sick" and need professional help. There are no screenshots of this conversation, though apparently multiple people (second part of that post here) were involved in the discourse. Frank later summarized his stance on the issue.

This is much more damning than some flirting, as I don't believe that freezing up when unexpectedly thrust into a high-tension situation is in any way abnormal. That said, there are differences between what Frank seems to be saying in that last screenshot, and what Jessica and the unknown person in those other screenshots are saying - albeit subtle ones - and that's enough to give me some pause. Looking at Frank's summarization in a vacuum, he's suggesting that he was "bothered" that the woman in question felt too powerless to even call for help. That could be read as disapproval of her actions (which is wrongheaded at the very least) or as him finding it tragic that she was made to feel that way to begin with (which is a much more benign sentiment).

As for his idea that the woman in question should seek professional help...again, that seems (to me) to depend on context that isn't available. I'm of the opinion that counseling and mental health services should absolutely be made available to victims of sexual assault/violence, as they can be immeasurably helpful with dealing with trauma, so that it doesn't continue to adversely affect the victim's quality of life. If that was what he meant, then I completely agree; there should not be a stigma attached to seeking medical services after an attack. On the other hand, if he meant that her freezing up when in a crisis situation is something that requires mental health treatment (as Jessica and that other person are alleging), then I disagree strongly.

That Frank then goes on to talk about fighting back against an attacker could be read as the latter interpretation of his former remarks...but again, I'm not certain of that. That's because I don't believe that prescribing actions that should be taken when in a dangerous situation necessarily indicates that those who don't undertake such actions when in such a situation are therefore to blame for what happened to them. Telling someone not to walk down a dark alley at night does NOT mean that you're preemptively blaming them if they do walk down a dark alley at night and get attacked. That, however, isn't what Jessica and that other poster allege Frank expressed in that Facebook conversation. As such, without seeing what Frank specifically said with regards to the Seattle woman on the bus, I'm not able to reach a firm conclusion.

3. Frank's making a threat - Jessica, in her initial Twitter feed, says that Frank talked about how he was "going to make sure [she] never worked in the [tabletop game] industry again." However, her screenshot here is of herself, saying that Frank had made "thinly-veiled professional threats." The unnamed poster who claimed knowledge of the conversation(s) said that Frank made a statement about "you shouldn't burn your bridges." Frank himself characterizes it as "if you" (presumably Jessica) "slam and lock a door, be sure you're never going to need it again."

Personally, I find this one even harder to parse than the issue regarding the woman on the bus. That's because statements like "you shouldn't burn your bridges" could be taken as either implied threats (i.e. a Mafia-like, "you sure you wanna do that?"), or at harmless statements of (somewhat paternalistic) advice (since Frank lived through the upheavals that TSR and other parts of the industry went through, where a lot of bad blood was generated when bridges were burned). Again, we need context that we don't have. I have to say though, I'm rather troubled by how Jessica characterized Frank as saying he'd make sure she'd never work in the industry again, only to screencap herself saying that he was making veiled threats. Those are not the same thing, and altering her description like that makes me disinclined to believe her take on the situation.

In Addition

While reading Jessica's take on the situation, I came across a follow-up Twitter feed from her where she talks about why she's posting this now. However, during the course of that she says the following:

View attachment 90031

This is the part that I found harder to believe. In my experience, Paizo has always been at the forefront of progressivism in the gaming community. The idea that they warned her about there being only so much of that they'd tolerate is very difficult to reconcile with that. I just can't see James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Lisa Stevens, Crystal Frasier et al taking that attitude. The only way that makes sense to me would be if Jessica was bringing issues like this up to such a point that they were becoming disruptive. But that would be indicative of her taking an extremely strident attitude towards these issues, to the point where it would make it difficult to work with her otherwise. But things like this don't help her avoid that characterization:

View attachment 90033

On the other hand, Frank Mentzer has recently had bouts of terrible judgment as well, which seems to be a large part of the reason why Empyrea was cancelled.

Overall, it's hard to know whose characterization(s) to believe, and I'm finding the entire mess rather sordid. I suppose if I had to say whose "side" I'd come down on, it would be...

...my not going there.

Last edited by a moderator:

The first flirtatious PM Frank sent to Jessica was not unethical. They are both adults.

As an adult Frank should have known better than to post such an...unpleasant post....disguised as an "innocent" flirtatious compliment. I'm a 46 year old middle-aged guy and I wouldn't ever say such things --or type such things-- to someone young enough to be my daughter or even grand daughter. That was damned creepy.

As an adult, he should have known better than to put her in the uncomfortable position of having to figure out why he appeared to have no comprehension of social boundaries.

S

Sunseeker

There seemed to be quite a few troubles with Frank and the Empyrea campaign from the get-go. The fact that many of the people working on the project with him resigned after these events leads me to believe that there is perhaps more going on on Frank's side than we're getting to see, and none of it positive. His initial "flirting" towards Jessica strike me as neckbeardish "nice guy" comments which never, ever result in anything good.

Whatever the case may be, it is ultimately unfortunate that Empyrea must suffer for this. Though I truly question if there was enough interest to begin with.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The flirting with a younger woman, I know a lot of old goats like that so I don't care much about that, its not like he stalked her and sent her pics of his dick. The bus commentary is insensitive no doubt. But if its true that he is throwing around his "weight" around and threatening careers and such, though I doubt he has that much pull in the modern RPG industry, that is pathetic on his part. He got banned from Dragonsfoot for apparently threatening to destroy the site and owner if they didn't ban who he wanted from what I can tell by reading the threads. Kind of sad, just going on what I've read. in a PM posted by the recipient he is talking about making it so the DF guy he wants banned won't be able to go to Cons or order game stuff through mail and will be financially destroyed. I wonder if he's losing his marbles?

Doesn't lessen the impact of his version of the basic rules I cut my teeth on.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Whatever the case may be, it is ultimately unfortunate that Empyrea must suffer for this. Though I truly question if there was enough interest to begin with.

It did manage to raise over $60k before the Kickstarter was pulled so where does that rank on the interest meter?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads