News of the Ancient World...

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Yes the Antikythera (sp?) mechanism one of those interesting historical finds. It was likely used for timekeeping and navigation based on what I know of it. Just because it was a long time ago didn't make people stupid. A few good examples along this line

Byzantine flamethrowers - 7th to 9th century very well made for the time, probably derived from the designs used in bilge pumps on ships though we don't have many of those and mostly estimate based on descriptions

Roman Iron Turtle seige mechanism - later Imperial period, a seige machine shaped like a pyramid on about two dozen wheels, faced in iron and wettened leather armed with a ram and scorpions, propelled by men pushing a capstan geared to the wheels

Archimedes Boathook - claw tipped crane used to snatch the rigging of boats attempting to lay aside a coastal fort and capsize them.

Steam Cannon - yes they really were invented as to how well the originals operated we aren't sure, but replicas using period materials have worked successfully

Automatic Ballista - whether they were made we don't know but we do have the design drawings and replicas using period materials show they work quite well

Egyptian Battery - highly controvercial, but it was obviously a battery and found in a metal-workers shop replicas have been used to electroplate metals successfully

Chemical Warfare - Chinese in the 4th century BC used Cyanide laced smoke on the battlefield at least once at it apparently caused significant casualties.

Roman mile-measurer - a cart with a mechanical odometer pushed by those building roads and setting down markers to measure distances.

Probably quite a few more I just can't pull off the top of my head.

Ghendar

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:
Yes the Antikythera (sp?) mechanism one of those interesting historical finds. It was likely used for timekeeping and navigation based on what I know of it. Just because it was a long time ago didn't make people stupid. A few good examples along this line

Sadly, many people throughout history have underestimated the ingenuity of ancient peoples. But that's a discussion for another time.

I love stuff like this. It amazes me when these finds are made.

Xyanthon

First Post
Ghendar said:
Sadly, many people throughout history have underestimated the ingenuity of ancient peoples. But that's a discussion for another time.

I love stuff like this. It amazes me when these finds are made.

I completely agree. We are finding out things about the past that are just astonishing. I think the ingenuity of the human mind is utterly fascinating. Thanks for sharing the link to the story. I like to try and include such things in my gaming when I can.

Turanil

First Post
I would have such a complex device be used by an astrologer to predict the future accurately. Something along the line of: where and when the stars will be in the appropriate configuration, so it would be easy to open a gate to hell...

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Turanil said:
I would have such a complex device be used by an astrologer to predict the future accurately. Something along the line of: where and when the stars will be in the appropriate configuration, so it would be easy to open a gate to hell...

Yoinked for a future Mage game....

Particle_Man

Explorer
Turanil said:

Isn't that what the Modrons have going in their central building, except that it is a model of the entire multiverse?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Iron Turtle + Hero's Steam Engine + Parthian Battery + Antikythera = Steampowered Golem War Hulk throwing lightning bolts as it ramapages across the countryside

Remove ads