news scoop: insider account of how the statement was drafted, and the fear-based culture in Wizards offices

Haplo781

Legend
‘Employees fired for having opinions’ could be ‘Employees tries to be heard and thin-skimmed bosses aren’t interested in their feedback’, or it could be ‘opinionated and disgruntled employee cause unpleasant working environment and won’t accept company policy or change so are fired.”

I’ve worked with too many of both types to pass judgement on the right or wrong of a situation. I’m not sure ‘ex-employee doesn’t think their opinion was heard’ counts as news though.
Ocxam's razor bro

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It isn't just soap opera. It is business practice.

Research has demonstrated the impacts of lacking what is commonly termed "psychological safety" in the workplace. It leads to reduction in productivity, and an inability to overcome problems. Such fear makes your overall organization stupid.

Which is at least consistent with the externally observed behavior.
My company isn't perfect, but I feel confident telling my boss' boss and my boss' boss' boss to their face when they're wrong, sometimes vigorously. They want pushback on bad ideas. It's arguably why we've survived in a very challenged industry when so many around us have gone under.

I have definitely worked for other companies where that would have been a firing offense. Those companies, when they still exist, are typically hollowed out shells today.

Embracing dissent is 100% part of a healthy corporate culture.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think that is a very... charitable interpretation.
I'm not saying I agree with the decision to release info this way -- and I am very enthusiastic about banging the "let's have some journalistic ethics and responsibility" drum -- but I suspect that's the motivation.

I watch a lot of D&D Shorts videos, for those who think I hate all D&D YouTubers (I only hate most of them), and he comes off as a level-headed dude, which is ironic given his over-the-top persona in his "weird things you can do in D&D" shorts.

Remove ads