• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Next 5e adventure speculation?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The catch with this is they're doing a big book in November. Which is what Mearls and Crawford have been working on for a year.
Getting another entire book written in just five months will be hard.

There's a reason the spring adventures have been reprints, and why the Perkins didn't work on Tales from the Yawning Portal...

That's why I said that were it to be a gazetteer of the various campaign settings, they'd probably just copy/paste a lot of stuff they had written for those campaign settings previously. I mean, you could pretty much just edit down and re-print the Eberron and Dark Sun 4E books and throw a 5E logo on the front, seeing as how nothing has "changed" in either of those settings in the move to 5E.

Obviously none of us who aren't alpha testers really know what will occur in the spring. But it was merely my guess that because Goodman Games was taking on the role of "adventure reboot" company for 5E, that perhaps that would remove the need/desire for WotC to do a second Yawning Portal-style book themselves. And if they decided not to do adventure re-prints... what other "minimum creation" kind of book could they release that would ultimately support the Autumn 2018 adventure book and game mechanics guide? Thus the idea of editing and re-printing large swathes of the already-published-previously campaign settings as a multiple-setting tome.

We'll find out in about five to six months regardless.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's why I said that were it to be a gazetteer of the various campaign settings, they'd probably just copy/paste a lot of stuff they had written for those campaign settings previously. I mean, you could pretty much just edit down and re-print the Eberron and Dark Sun 4E books and throw a 5E logo on the front, seeing as how nothing has "changed" in either of those settings in the move to 5E.

Obviously none of us who aren't alpha testers really know what will occur in the spring. But it was merely my guess that because Goodman Games was taking on the role of "adventure reboot" company for 5E, that perhaps that would remove the need/desire for WotC to do a second Yawning Portal-style book themselves. And if they decided not to do adventure re-prints... what other "minimum creation" kind of book could they release that would ultimately support the Autumn 2018 adventure book and game mechanics guide? Thus the idea of editing and re-printing large swathes of the already-published-previously campaign settings as a multiple-setting tome.

We'll find out in about five to six months regardless.
On the other hand, the original campaign material is mostly on the DMs Guild, and fairly rules neautral much of the time.

It could be that Goodman is doing BECMI material, while WotC does AD&D and 3.x adaptions. We shall see.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
On the other hand, the original campaign material is mostly on the DMs Guild, and fairly rules neutral much of the time.

Heh! Well, *you and I* know that... but based upon the thread upon thread of other people complaining over the last three years that WotC hasn't been producing 300 page campaign setting tomes updated for 5E all this time (despite the fact that in most cases absolutely nothing would be different from the same tomes written previously for 4E, 3E, 2E etc.)... some folks apparently need a 5E logo on the cover for it to be a true use for them. That's why I think WotC should just re-print their old setting books with a new cover image and logo and the stat blocks taken out, so that people think they're getting a new CS book. ;)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Heh! Well, *you and I* know that... but based upon the thread upon thread of other people complaining over the last three years that WotC hasn't been producing 300 page campaign setting tomes updated for 5E all this time (despite the fact that in most cases absolutely nothing would be different from the same tomes written previously for 4E, 3E, 2E etc.)... some folks apparently need a 5E logo on the cover for it to be a true use for them. That's why I think WotC should just re-print their old setting books with a new cover image and logo and the stat blocks taken out, so that people think they're getting a new CS book. ;)
Heh, fair point; though they have said future setting material will be in APs primarily.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
No.

No no no no no no no no no no no.

If they did that, every single Greyhawk Grognard would explode in an apoplectic fit, the likes of which haven't been seen for at least two weeks.

Jeez Louise. Y'all wanted more Greyhawk back in the 80s and whined when you got it. And now you're threatening to whine again if you get more? What's it take, huh? Somebody to actually deal with your beloved IP respectfully and not just plunder it as a cash grab?

Demands, demands. And after all they've done for you.

Zippee

First Post
Would love for them to go to Greyhawk, but I agree that a 5e version of Slave Lords would be a great AP to introduce folks to that setting.

It wouldn't be used to introduce Greyhawk - that would be an option with a paragraph or two as in the other APs.

SKT is the spiritual successor to the G modules, RoD-OotA the successor to D&Q modules and EE-PotA the successor to Temple of EE, so I wouldn't see a rehash of Slavers as is but an AP that explored similar concepts.

Or the A modules will come in another bag of re-hashed modules in More Tales from some pub.

Remove ads