D&D 5E Next D&D Next Adventure Scourge of Sword Coast will be PDF Only

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
The Solicitation Flyer for upcoming adventure Scourge of the Sword Coast says it will be PDF only and that it will use a subset of the D&D Next playtest rules, available for download at dndclassics.com.

• Scourge of the Sword Coast is played using a subset of the D&D® Next playtest
rules, available for download at dndclassics.com.
• This season, players and Dungeon Masters use the official Scourge of the Sword
Coast digital adventure that will be available for purchase through
dndclassics.com

Last edited:

Once again, WotC really nails communication but not telling us the format of a product AND the full reason they were removing the playtest package. When they do announce it, they do so by dropping a flyer and letting the Internet explode with speculation and ire.
Rather than say, having a news release on the website.

That explains why they're removing the playtest package. They're expecting us to BUY the next revision of the rules!

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This is one of the sundering adventures that they have already announced? Its my understanding that these will have the needed rules. Not sure if the rules will update much with each new one.

And does it say PDF only?

Kinak

First Post
And does it say PDF only?
Yes? I mean, I'm pretty sure.

"This season, players and Dungeon Masters use the official Scourge of the Sword
Coast digital adventure that will be available for purchase through dndclassics.com"

And, on describing the physical kit: "*Please note that the Scourge of the Sword Coast adventure is not included"

I think calling it the "Scourge of the Sword Coast digital adventure" is what seals it for me.

Cheers!
Kinak

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
In other words, screw the FLGSs who now have no incentive whatsoever to host D&D Encounters because they cannot sell the adventure, they cannot sell the rules and they have no other D&D product for sale either.

Next time WotC hires or promotes someone to the head of D&D they should make sure that they have a bit more business experience than simply freelancing for the d20 glut.

Texicles

First Post
This does seem a little incongruous with the promotion of the FLGS through organized play that's been going on with WotC and Paizo for years now. I know that with MiBG, they started selling the adventure, and you could theoretically buy it without ever going to a FLGS, but this is a bit much.

I've been a believer that strong digital support for 5e will be a great asset, but I can't get behind a purely digital product.

Also, XP'd Kinak for mach

Sonny

Adventurer
You do realize this isn't the third and final adventure for the Sundering Trilogy right? It's an encounters adventure that is part of the Sundering storyline, but not an actual product that was ever meant to be sold on shelves. Much like Vault of the Dracolich.

Remove ads