• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Next D&D Next Adventure Scourge of Sword Coast will be PDF Only

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
For me the most disappointing thing about this is the price. They want $18 for an e-adventure. I paid only a little more for Legacy that came with a great DM screen and full color printing. It could easily cost $15 to print this and another $4 for an economy binder to hold it all together (and you get no DM screen). $37 is more than the full retail price of Legacy of the Crystal Shard or Murder in Baldur's Gate.

Given the $23 price on Amazon and the $19 printing cost it is obvious the best price point for the PDF would be $4.

But then who wants to pay $19 to print a $4 PDF?

6 weeks away!!

Warunsun

First Post
Earlier in the thread it was stated that no price has been announced for this. Has that changed, or are you making an assumption based on something similar?

Originally I guessed at the MSRP of $19.99. That was my assumption based on the pricing on dndclassics.com. Some on the Wizards forums were guessing $4.99 saying I was well off the price guesstimate. Then is was announced here at wizards.com that the price would be $17.99. So I was very close. The $18 price tag for the e-adventure is very real.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
In this ICv2 article, it is reported that "retailers that run Scourge of the Sword Coast will receive, along with the Game Day materials, instructions on how to download the adventure at no charge."

darjr

I crit!
That is huge! They should absolutely be crowing about this!

My FLGS didn't know about this at all. I had to tell him. *sigh* This is a big deal. Because of the changes they made I've seen encounters die on the vine in the last few weeks. This might go a long way to fixing that. I know local anecdotal evidence isn't evidence of a larger trend but I think there are other signs that this change needs to be crowed about, and at least the stores need to be informed.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
More info on Complimentary D&D Encounters Digital Adventure Scourge of the Sword Coast by WPN #dndnext

http://www.wizards.com/wpn/News/Article.aspx?x=2014_01_06_DNDEssc_download

January 6, 2014
By The WPN Team
Schedule D&D Encounters – Scourge of the Sword Coast and Launch Weekend by Tuesday, January 7and make your store the destination for play of the third adventure of the Sundering, a major event in the Forgotten Realms!
Stores that schedule D&D Encounters – Scourge of the Sword Coast will be provided with a complementary download of the adventure via dndclassics.com. This download is available for a limited time, expiring on February 18. It's important to note that the Scourge of the Sword Coast adventure will only be available via download. A PDF containing a subset of the D&D Next playtest rules needed to play the adventure will be included, though Scourge of the Sword Coast can be played with any D&D rules set.
Instructions for accessing the complementary download will be emailed to each participating store at least 10 days prior to the Scourge of the Sword Coast Launch Weekend so that DMs have time to prepare for the start of the season.
Thank you for your support of D&D Encounters, and please contact us if you have any questions!

Greyson

Explorer
I Gots Mines

I bought and downloaded my copy of Scourge of the Sword Coast yesterday and started reading it. So far, I like it. It begins at 2nd-level outside of Daggerford. Like Legacy of the Crystal Shard, there are myriad vibrant NPCs.

The D&D Next interim rules are a separate download that came my purchase on dndclassics.com.

The Launch Event portion of the adventure is included in the whole, which is nice.

I've been running Living Forgotten Realms, Pathfinder Society and a home campaign from a laptop for three years. Love the availability of this as a digital file. I think the price is reasonable given the quality of the document and the length of the adventure. That said, the game store I run D&D Encounters for handed me free copies of the last two seasons' adventures for free. I just could not wait on this one and went ahead and bought it.

Happy gaming!

Remove ads