D&D General NFTs Are Here To Ruin Dungeons & Dragons

Mort

Legend
Supporter
To be fair - Mark Zuckerberg apparently read Snow Crash and thought it presented a positive future that he should work towards.

There are a lot of people out there whose mindsets are just foreign to me.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me!

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
To be fair - Mark Zuckerberg apparently read Snow Crash and thought it presented a positive future that he should work towards.

There are a lot of people out there whose mindsets are just foreign to me.
Irritatingly, a distressing number of them have uncounted billions of dollars and massive followings. Even if they can't successfully change the world into their desired dystopian hellscape in the end, can sure can wreak a lot of havoc in the real world just by trying to do so.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
Irritatingly, a distressing number of them have uncounted billions of dollars and massive followings. Even if they can't successfully change the world into their desired dystopian hellscape in the end, can sure can wreak a lot of havoc in the real world just by trying to do so.
Many CEOs have been doing this for decades.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I think these are two separate things, though.

I think that even if every crypto-farmer turned to renewables, all that would end up doing is encourage people to buy more crypto (at least, it would encourage people who are interested in it but don't want to do be involved because of the environmental cost, which renewables would mitigate). I don't really think people would say "Huh, it looks like Bob's House o' NFTs has solar panels, maybe I should get them too."

Also, my--admittedly not in-depth--research indicates that at least some crypto farms are claiming to already be using renewables to one degree or another. Whether they actually are (or are just lying about it) is another matter, but if they are, then... they haven't been responsible for creating a noticeably huge demand.

And since they require so much electricity, they want it cheap, and it's highly unlikely they'll switch to 100% renewables unless mandated--and it's also unlikely that governments are going to mandate that 100% renewables just because of crypto.
You still don't seem to be understanding what I'm writing. (I don't care if you agree, but it would be nice if your response seemed like you understood.)

It's not that someone is looking at an NFT business with a solar farm and thinking to themselves, "maybe I should get me some of those fancy panel things". If a big industry (and in the case of crypto, I'm using the term industry very loosely) with a lot of money were to inject that money into renewables, that would boost the renewables industry, likely lowering prices in the long term. Those lower prices are what would make the average consumer more likely to adopt renewables. And if you can keep that process going, growth and costs can keep improving (at least until market saturation is reached, but market saturation of renewables would be a very good thing).

This isn't based on speculation either. We've already seen this work with government subsidies and incentives for the renewables industry. It's just that we've reached a point where those subsidies aren't enough to keep the process going at a good pace.

In the long term, renewables can be very cost effective. And there is some evidence that crypto may give the renewables market a significant boost. Whether that actually WILL happen is admittedly pure speculation at this point, but it is within the realm of possibility. Even partial adoption of renewables by crypto would not only help mitigate the absurd energy requirements thereof, but also help fuel growth in the renewables industry.

That's not to say that crypto is saving the world. It's not. It's a thing, with flaws, and hopefully someone will design a better thing sooner than not, that isn't so flawed. But, if we're lucky, it might just incentivize the people who have the means to invest in something that just might save the world, largely out of their own self interest.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
Actually this might be good; if I turn my character into a No F****** Thanks, err, NFT and this company creates something similar then I can sue for copyright infringement.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
You still don't seem to be understanding what I'm writing. (I don't care if you agree, but it would be nice if your response seemed like you understood.)

It's not that someone is looking at an NFT business with a solar farm and thinking to themselves, "maybe I should get me some of those fancy panel things". If a big industry (and in the case of crypto, I'm using the term industry very loosely) with a lot of money were to inject that money into renewables, that would boost the renewables industry, likely lowering prices in the long term. Those lower prices are what would make the average consumer more likely to adopt renewables. And if you can keep that process going, growth and costs can keep improving (at least until market saturation is reached, but market saturation of renewables would be a very good thing).

This isn't based on speculation either. We've already seen this work with government subsidies and incentives for the renewables industry. It's just that we've reached a point where those subsidies aren't enough to keep the process going at a good pace.

In the long term, renewables can be very cost effective. And there is some evidence that crypto may give the renewables market a significant boost. Whether that actually WILL happen is admittedly pure speculation at this point, but it is within the realm of possibility. Even partial adoption of renewables by crypto would not only help mitigate the absurd energy requirements thereof, but also help fuel growth in the renewables industry.

That's not to say that crypto is saving the world. It's not. It's a thing, with flaws, and hopefully someone will design a better thing sooner than not, that isn't so flawed. But, if we're lucky, it might just incentivize the people who have the means to invest in something that just might save the world, largely out of their own self interest.
like this?

Vaalingrade

Legend

You know what?

None of that matters.

Let's pretend they actually care and tomorrow they all switch to renewable energy and that causes a solar boom. It will never happen and these farms are too decentralized for us to even reasonably pretend this, but let's just say it happens for the moment.

It doesn't matter.

Because it's still a technology in search of a purpose hopelessly mired in a culture of greed and grift that thrives on scams, taking advantage of people in poor and developing countries, steeling IP, worshipping conspicuous consumption, wallowing in ignorance of law, common sense and how technology works, constantly trying to expand itself where it doesn't belong and manipulate any subculture they think they can weasel their buzzwords into.

Saying they 'might' do something they will never and would never either want or be able to do doesn't fix the rot that goes straight to the core of crypto.

Remove ads