D&D General NFTs Are Here To Ruin Dungeons & Dragons

Mallus

Legend
Brace yourselves... I'm going to say something (slightly) positive about Square-Enix's foray into blockchain. At least Squeenix has a popular metaverse in which to sell cryptographically unique digital goods. It's called Final Fantasy XIV.

Of course, blockchain adds nothing to their metaverse outside of making transactions in-game slower and cost lots of real money. But at least Squeenix has a real, tangible thing to ruin!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
EVE Online recently announced that they are NOT going to do NFTs

EVE Online is "space MMO" that has been going on for 20 years now, with a remarkably complex and robust economy that is 99.9999% player driven. It's also a game where PVP is very common and encouraged. And that PVP isn't just "pew pew I blew up your ship" - but also fierce economic competition, as well as a blend of the two (piracy, pew pew pew I blew up your manufacturing facility etc). This means that players scamming each other is not a rare occurrence.

And they don't need NFTs or the blockchain - a central database works just fine.
For the record, EVE is able to work the way it does because you can purchase premium subscription time with in-game currency, as well as with real money, which makes it possible to determine the theoretical real-money value of the in-game currency, and any in-game items that can be bought with in-game currency. It’s functionally a play-to-earn game before that was a thing, except that there’s no (legal) way to turn in-game items or subscription time back into real-world money.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
One of the things that amuses me about teckbros, anarcho-capitalists, libertarians and other anti regulatory types is that they forget that a lot of this law and regulation was put in place in response to previous catastrophes. It is a kind of social scar tissue, not just something put in to place to amuse lawyers and bureaucrats.
I don’t think they forget, they just think this time they’ll be the ones who benefit from the catastrophe.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
For the record, EVE is able to work the way it does because you can purchase premium subscription time with in-game currency, as well as with real money, which makes it possible to determine the theoretical real-money value of the in-game currency, and any in-game items that can be bought with in-game currency. It’s functionally a play-to-earn game before that was a thing, except that there’s no (legal) way to turn in-game items or subscription time back into real-world money.
yes... and, pray tell, that does this have to do with NFTs?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You’re the one who brought it up, you tell me.
That's not quite how conversations work you know.

I say "EVE declares it won't use NFTs and doesn't need them"

You say "You know, EVE has a peculiar subscription system"

I say "what does that have to do with NFTs?"

You say "Hey, you brought it up"

So again, what on earth does EVE's subscription system have to do with NFTs? you brought that up.

Remove ads