[NG/Judges Guild] Rorystone Road, Campaign Hexes, and More!

GreenPiece

First Post
Hi there!

The Rorystone Road download is now available from our new Downloads Page at http://www.judgesguild.com. As announced in our newly released Player's Guide to the Wilderlands this download provides a detailed look at the region from the City State of the Invincible Overlord to the dwarven citadel of Thunderhold. Mapped in 5 mile hexes, with all the villages, towns, castles, citadels and lairs detailed in full. It is a preview of the degree of detail and type of content you can expect from the upcoming Wilderlands of High Fantasy Boxed Set.

Also, check out the same page to download the hex maps for use in the Campaign Hexagon System. The large overland maps of the Wilderlands setting are mapped in 5 mile hexes. Each five-mile hex can be broken down using these maps into smaller hexes of .2 miles (1056 feet). Using the same maps, those .2 mile hexes can be broken down into smaller hexes approximately 40 feet from side to side.

Besides our new Download Page we have also set up a Fan Materials Page! This page offers you a chance to have Judges Guild material YOU created posted on our official site!

Check out all the new stuff, it's worth it! :)

Have fun!

Orcus' Little Helper

Last edited:

Orcus

First Post
I just sent Greenie the Thunderhold download that details the dwarven citadel of Thunderhold. It includes a full Judge's Map of the citadel. It should be up on the Judges Guild site (www.judgesguild.com) on the Downloads page tomorrow.

Clark

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
No one will ever accuse Necromancer Games of not promoting their games enough. :)

I'm waiting for my order for the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands to come in, but in the meantime, thanks for all the free stuff!

Orcus

First Post
More free stuff. Thunderhold has been posted (new layout plus Judge's Map) on the Judges Guild downloads page.

Clark

Orcus

First Post
And I even added a Player's Map of Thunderhold. Look for a download detailing the city of Modron next.

So why am I doing all this stuff?

Simple. I think people need a reason to embrace a new setting. Just putting out one silly book wont do it. So I am literally GIVING AWAY lots of old content to help you immediately have everything you need to run the setting.

No reall, WHY?

Because that is what I wished game companies did when I was growing up playing D&D. And now I own my own company and I can do it that way if I want, even if it means I dont maximize the money I earn. Plus, I freaking love this setting and I want everyone to check it out and get into it.

Clark

Orcus

First Post
For those who need a quick summary, the Wilderlands is the classic campaign setting that is home to the City State of the Invincible Overlord. Imagine a classic, gritty fantasy setting based on Conan, Elric and Fahfard and the Grey Mouser instead of Tolkien.

Anyone who is frustrated that WotC has dropped the ball with Greyhawk will want to check out this setting. And anyone who is frustrated at how the Realms are no longer truly the "Forgotten Realms" but instead could be called the "Overdetailed And All-Too-Well-Known Realms That No Longer Hold Any Mystery Since My Players Have Read All 1000 Novels And Know the Setting Better Than I As The DM Ever Could" also needs to check out this setting.

Here is the back of book information and a clip about the setting.

Wilderlands of High Fantasy: Player’s Guide™

Welcome to the Wilderlands of High Fantasy!

Whether you are a veteran Judges Guild fan or a new player just now discovering the Wilderlands, this Player’s Guide introduces you to the classic Judges Guild epic fantasy setting and provides you with everything you need to begin a campaign in the Wilderlands, including the classic City State of the Invincible Overlord!

A Deadly World of Epic Adventure

This Player’s Guide includes a large full color fold-out map and details on the history and background of the Wilderlands. At your fingertips is information on the important cities and geographical features of the Wilderlands as well as information on the gods and monsters unique to the setting. The Player’s Guide also includes details on the City State of the Invincible Overlord, allowing you to run a campaign set in the Wilderlands right away!

And now the blurb from the intro:

The Wilderlands Setting

The Wilderlands setting details an area slightly smaller than the Mediterranean sea and surrounding lands. Unlike many current published settings where everything has been discovered and most of the world is known, the Wilderlands are largely unexplored and overland travel is dangerous. There are few “nations.” Instead, the lands are dominated by “city states,” principle among them being the City State of the Invincible Overlord and Viridistan, the City of Spices—also known as the City State of the World Emperor. The City State of the Invincible Overlord so dominates the Wilderlands, that many campaigns run in this setting are often called City State Campaigns.

The civilization of the Wilderlands centers mostly on the largest city states: Viridistan, the City State of the Invincible Overlord, Tarantis, Valon, Rallu and Tula. But these locations are small in comparison to the vast forests, expansive plains, open seas, trackless deserts, imposing mountains and wild rivers. The light of civilization in the Wilderlands is a dim spark against the dark wilds.

The Wilderlands is a setting in decline. Long ago empires covered the region. But great wars, with the gods themselves fighting alongside men, has reduced the splendor of those past civilizations, leaving them in ruins. The most recent such war was the War of the Pious and Philosophers, pitting the followers of magic against the followers of science. That war was some 6000 years ago (though that date is disputed). Cities that do exist today are generally built on the sites of ancient cities, some among the ruins themselves. Broken roads, crumbled walls, sunken buildings and half-ruined towers dot the landscape, a constant reminder of the faded past.

Life in the Wilderlands can be summed up for the average commoner as follows: Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short. The average life expectancy is twenty years unless one lives in a walled city or town such as the City State, Viridistan, Thunderhold, Modron, Warwik or other large cities, in which it is only a little higher. Almost all Human families produce at least ten children, of whom two or three may live long enough to have children of their own. In the wilderness villages, wandering monsters and the raids of nomads, brigands and various humanoid species which are inherently evil are the bane of many. Rampant, unchecked disease is common to both walled city and wilderness village; so is infant mortality. The dangers of wandering monsters are lessened in a walled city or town, but the concentration of people in a small area leads to a high crime rate and poor sanitation; therefore, instead of being slain by a marauding dragon, a city dweller may have his throat slit for the contents of his purse. Few men manage to live past the ripe old age of thirty-five, and the fact that a man is fifty or sixty years old indicates great wisdom on his part (or an incredible run of luck).

Welcome to the Wilderlands, where life is cheap, travel is dangerous and a strong sword arm is worth more than a purse full of gold.

Oh yeah, and did I meantion cover art by FRANK FREAKING FRAZETTA!!!

I think the biggest thing about the setting is its flexibility. The Wilderlands (and all JG products) are all about being YOURS to expand. There will be the Player's Guide, the City State, the Boxed set and a module or two perhaps. Thats it. You wont have to feel like you have to buy 100 products to "run the setting right." There are no insane Weigels screaming at you because you did something different from Bob Bledsaw, the creator of the setting. Heck, Bob himself says he changes the setting every time he starts a new campaign. There are no novels. No saturday morning cartoons. There are not 300+ supplements that your players have bought and now know the setting better than you. This setting gives you everything you need and then lets you make of it what YOU will, not what some marketing department that is interested in novel tie ins and movies wants. To me, that is a setting I want.

Clark

robertsconley

Adventurer
Cergorach said:
Kewl Orcus! I love your thinking!

So sell us on the setting, what are the settings highlights and why.

As a GM you will find that a lot of the tedious work of generating stats has been done. The setting is designed so you can

a) customize it without worrying upsetting some overall worldview
b) know about all the villages, citadels, islands, lairs, and ruins that are between where your players are and where they want to go.

Rob Conley

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Clark, using WotC's 'faults' to sell your own product is a bit like badmouthing the 'competition' in my book. You might want to avoid that in the future.

The "The Wilderlands Setting" part was very helpful, the rest a bit confusing and more about telling what it's not than telling about what it is. And stop mentioning FRANK FREAKING FRAZETTA, wtf is FRANK FREAKING FRAZETTA, why should i care about FRANK FREAKING FRAZETTA, and who cares that the cover is by FRANK FREAKING FRAZETTA ;-)

I can see your very excited about this release, but for someone like me who has only heard that this setting existed a time long ago, far, far away. I don't really care that it's based on a lisence, i (and many with me) want to know about what it's about, as i said the "The Wilderlands Setting" was very helpful, you might want to use that to promote the setting.

For those who need a quick summary, the Wilderlands is the classic campaign setting that is home to the City State of the Invincible Overlord. Imagine a classic, gritty fantasy setting based on Conan, Elric and Fahfard and the Grey Mouser instead of Tolkien.

Is also very helpfull.

I might come across as a bit negative, let me assure you that i'm not, i'm a bit confused on what it's all about. I've seen some previews (the map is very impressive, as is the cover art), but until now i didn't know what it's all about and why it would be different from a setting like Greyhawk or the Scarred Lands.

Robert, short, to the point, and very clear.

btw. this has already been preordered, to this day i have never been disappointed by NG products, so i wasn't expecting anything bad, i just didn't know what to expect.

robertsconley

Adventurer
Cergorach said:
Clark, using WotC's 'faults' to sell your own product is a bit like badmouthing the 'competition' in my book. You might want to avoid that in the future.

It isn't backmouthing Wizards and other game companies to put
out weaknesses in their presentation of campaign worlds. I have played since the late seventies. There have been good campaign worlds and bad campaign worlds released but none presented like the Wilderland.

To truly understand what it has to offer download the Rorystone Road supplement on www.judgesguild.com that Clark, Bob, and myself wrote. That is just 1/8 of one map out of 18. Map 1 has over 100 villages and castles described.

Cergorach said:
I can see your very excited about this release, but for someone like me who has only heard that this setting existed a time long ago, far, far away. I don't really care that it's based on a lisence, i (and many with me) want to know about what it's about, as i said the "The Wilderlands Setting" was very helpful, you might want to use that to promote the setting.

The feel of the wilderlands as a whole is swords and sorcery (conan, etc), but with a healthy addition of tolkien.

But the strength of the Wilderland isn't its setting but the details. And there is a lot of detail. When you put the three main products together (Player's Guide, City-State, and Wilderlands). You will definitely have value for your money.

Rob Conley

Remove ads