Night's Black Agents: Countdown (demo encounter)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Quinn starts as he hears the start of an explosion through his earpiece until the noise filter cuts it off.

"Gabriella!! Are you all right? What happened?" he yells in panic as the filters disengage. He presses the earpiece harder against his ear as if that will help him hear her response better until a spark from one of the recent gunshots burns his hand, bringing him back to the here and now.

The panic in his mind at a lack of response from Gabriella makes it difficult to enter that space, but he just manages.

Quinn's finger caressed the trigger, applying the minimum pressure required to overcome the 2 lb trigger pull weight and send his round down the hallway.

<Business as usual,> comes Gabriella's reply a moment after Quinn shoots. <Mace is flirting with the target - boy has some strange notions of foreplay. Hung-Ke - I should have your codes within the next sixty seconds...>

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Hung-Ke hefts the shattered monitor. Luckily it's a CRT, not a LCD flat-panel.

One thing you can count on with respect to Russian technology, always a decade or so behind the times....

Hung-Ke - I should have your codes within the next sixty seconds...

"If you can't get them to me in the first thirty, don't sweat the last thirty. Just keep the channel open for as long as you can."

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
OOC: Some Administrivia:
- In order to grab that parachute and head off after the phone, Gabriella spent 4 filch (4+4=8, plenty!) and 4 athletics. She's now hurtling down towards it and - barring unexpected complications - will catch up next round. It tumbles in the air.
- There are two remaining bad guys in the air, "Elena" and one shot-but-conscious bodyguard. "Elena" has her own chute, as does Gabriella. DuBois and Mace do not, yet. One living foe and one dead foe tumbling nearby still have chutes.
- There are 5 visible bad guys in the launch center. There are two thugs in the room with Quinn, Cardiff and Lee; these are the ones that Quinn blinded briefly with his shoe bomb (and who are still -1 to hit). There two more outside the glass-enclosed control room, accompanied by Eschenko.
- I didn't specify whether the door leading into the control room is locked or not. Based on Quinn's update, it's both open and unlocked.
- You can totally use extra shot and called shot at the same time, because doing so is completely awesome.

A lot of things happen at once.

Blinking the dazzle out of their eyes, the two nearby thugs duck behind a control counter and fire at both Hung-Ke and Persephone; they heard their boss, and neither of them wants to turn down a pay bonus like that. One bullet grazes Persephone's thigh, leaving a trail of fiery pain along the wound. The other thug blinks rapidly, takes careful aim... and instead of shooting Hung-Ke Lee, he shoots his cell phone. The bullet smashes the plastic and electronics to splinters. "Go ahead," says the thug. "Try to transmit your abort codes now." He laughs, an ugly grating sound, and ducks behind the counter into cover.

Quinn's leap past the open door is astounding for someone so close to retirement. The two men outside seize their chance and shoot at him as he flashes past. Both shots miss, leading him too much as he passes the doorway, but both bullets shatter the glass just above where Quinn is landing. His roll carries him into jagged shards of glass that turn out to be a lot less bulletproof, and a lot sharper, than he might have hoped. Quinn manages to keep his face clear, but the sides of his hands and his foot without the shoe end up slashed and bleeding.

It hardly matters, though, because the guns virtually sang in his hands. Eschenko has no way to duck in time, and both bullets hit Eschenko's chest dead center. The middle-aged man is knocked down and back by the impact, surely a kill shot to the heart; the only way someone could possibly survive that would be to be wearing a Kevlar vest.

Groaning, crawling on all fours, Viktor Eschenko crawls backwards into the cover of the elevator. He leaves no blood trail behind. Rolling himself with a pained grunt onto the elevator's floor, Quinn can see that the front of Eschenko's impeccably tailored suit has been ripped open by gunfire, revealing two squashed bullets buried in the front of a bulletproof vest. "Quinn?" Eschenko's weakened voice is as cold and terrifying as you've ever heard from a man. "You dare? My men are going to kill you, and you can go to your death knowing that I'm going to kill all your family. ALL of them." The elevator doors begin to close.

OOC: Persephone takes 3 points of Health damage from a bullet. H-K loses his cell phone (the thug spent just about all of his remaining shooting points, hoping that it would stop you from being able to receive and transmit the abort codes. Does it?) Quinn takes 4 points of Health damage from broken glass (technically one of the shots hit him, but this is a cooler way to describe the same mechanical effect). Eschenko takes a crapload of damage, but the bulletproof vest mitigated enough of it that he knows it's time not to stick around and watch.

Dr. DuBois? One man standing (using a corpse as a shield), one woman injured and escaping.
Persephone? Two men in the room with you behind a counter, two men outside, Eschenko departing via elevator. Actions?

And don't forget that many of you have Preparedness. Quinn, I believe your Mechanics can be used in place of Preparedness if you need to rig up a gadget, device or weapon on the fly.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
OOC: And don't forget that many of you have Preparedness. Quinn, I believe your Mechanics can be used in place of Preparedness if you need to rig up a gadget, device or weapon on the fly.

OOC: Yeah - between the two of them, Persephone and Ashcan have an effective 16 points of Preparedness, plus the 'Swiss Army Prep' and 'In The Nick Of Time' cherries.

... and a surfeit of Explosive Devices on Ashcan's part, of course...

Walking Dad

First Post
OOC: weird situation. DuBois has his pistols drawn, but no shooting dots remaining. Could have my description count as a Technothriller Monologue? If not, what skill do you use for thrown weapons?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
OOC: weird situation. DuBois has his pistols drawn, but no shooting dots remaining. Could have my description count as a Technothriller Monologue? If not, what skill do you use for thrown weapons?

OOC: I'm not the GM, but I'll state with some confidence that the CSI follow-the-bullet-down-the-barrel camerawork falls well inside the parameters of a Technothriller Monologue!

For throwing knives etc, the skill is Weapons - and since you have the Quincy Morris' Bowie Knife cherry, you're much better at it than most people!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
OOC: Not weird at all. Think about a Bourne movie; someone shoots someone, then kicks them in the crotch, then hits them with a lamp. They're actually using Shooting, Hand-to-Hand and Weapons in three subsequent rounds so that they balance out their pools! This is a game where you're encouraged to describe glorious things for yourself, and because you choose which abilities you have and how many you spend, you decide whether or not they occur.

As others said, with nothing in your shooting pool you have a few options:
- The "view inside the gun" description is absolutely cool enough to trigger Technothriller Monologue. That gives you three points back immediately, if I remember correctly. Glad you asked.
- You have more than 8 points in Weapons (DuBois tends to prefer more intimate weapons than guns; he particularly likes scalpels. Not that there's anything creepy about that. Cough.) and that lets you throw weapons flawlessly. Heck, throw a pistol if it makes you happy. :D
- If you had decided to shoot anyways, you'd just roll a d6 and add nothing. If someone has Trust in you, and is in touch with you, they can also give you 1 point of Trust on a roll.

Let's face it, DuBois is an incredibly proficient assassin. For mooks in particular, the question is usually how long you allow him to live and how you choose to kill him, not whether he manages to escape.

Remove ads