Ninja’s and Superspies - Different System

Teflonknight

Explorer
Ninja’s and Superspies - Different System

For nostalgia reasons I recently purchased Ninjas and Superspies. 2 sons and a nephew are super excited to play. We are going to give it a go, but I think I want to try something in the future that doesn’t give me a headache during character creation. Any suggestions for a system that would allow us to play adventures with similar themes, ie Martial Arts, spies and cyborgs/cybernetics.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I don’t know that RPG.

It's a palladium books RPG. The skill checks use percentile dice. The combat system uses opposed rolls, with attacks and dodges each using your combat actions. Your ability to take damage is divided into two pools of points (Hit Points & S.D.C.), and when you lose HPs there's a chance of some lasting penalties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjas_&_Superspies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaversal_system

If that helps you out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That does. I didn’t play that game, but I’m quite familiar with the Palladium system in general.

Whenever I look to use a setting with a different ruleset, I look either for a system that I’m super comfy and familiar with and/or a toolbox system.

For me, HERO is both. But even though that’s my #1 system, I would be remiss if I didn’t also recommend GURPS, Mutants & Masterminds, SpyCraft and Savage Worlds, for a variety of reasons.

Are you familiar with any of those, Teflonknight?

Teflonknight

Explorer
[MENTION=6862725]Danny[/MENTION] I have Savage Worlds/Rifts I just haven’t delved into it very deeply. The issue I have with N&SS is I am a little lost about character creation. Example: OCC/Martial Arts list a variety of defence moves - does that give you a bonus to those or just allow you to do those moves?
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] I do have O.L.D. but don’t have a gaming group to try it. If the kids like N&SS I may have to check out N.O.W.

Although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, due to issues that I have with narrative causality, the first thing that comes to mind is Feng Shui. Just about everything that you can play in that game is some sort of action movie archetype, or at least wuxia.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The issue I have with N&SS is I am a little lost about character creation. Example: OCC/Martial Arts list a variety of defence moves - does that give you a bonus to those or just allow you to do those moves?
Palladium ChaGen can be...convoluted. It’s been a few years since I used the system, so I can’t really answer your question.

While games like GURPS or HERO can be complex, they’re still fairly straightforward in comparison. And while it’s not my favorite game, I have to grudgingly admit the GURPS resources for martial arts and assorted gear- especially weapons- are pretty broad.

MechaPilot

Explorer
[MENTION=6862725]The issue I have with N&SS is I am a little lost about character creation. Example: OCC/Martial Arts list a variety of defence moves - does that give you a bonus to those or just allow you to do those moves?

Depends on the moves. Dodge, parry, and automatic parry are things anyone can attempt.

Can you give me a specific example of something from the book you're uncertain about?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I remember Palladium as being both a Percentage based knock off of Dnd and a convoluted mess of Awesome* ideas

Knowing that I'd maybe look to D20 Modern or Spycraft or just divide the percentages by 5% steps and convert to d20

*well in the sense of appealing to a teenage boys notion of Awesome

Last edited:

Remove ads