• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No 5e threads for now, please

ggroy

First Post
Why doesn't it sound like they have so much confidence in their product that they can't possibly improve on it?

I wasn't talking about whether a company can possibly improve on their product or not.

I was talking about the "perception" alone.

Personally, the words "final edition" on a D&D book wouldn't faze me at all since I'm familiar with the product line.

Though, if I was an impressionable teenager today (ie. if I was my 13 year old self again) and saw some D&D books with "final edition" written on the front cover, it would certainly color my perception of the product. My first thought would be, does this book suck and will this company be shortly dropping it anyways. I probably would just pass it by, and see what other rpgs books are on the shelf.

So don't use the words "final edition". Call it "Ultimate Edition", that's what ultimate means, but it's a much sexier term.

This would be a better marketing strategy. At least it doesn't have as many obvious negative connotations.

ggroy

First Post
If I was my 13-year-old self again and saw some "D&D Ultimate Edition" books on the store shelf, I would probably be tempted to open the cover and take a look. If it also had a lot of cool artwork, the more the better. Perhaps it could even convince me to buy it on impulse. :cool:

I will admit that I actually first bought the Moldvay basic D&D box set on impulse. I didn't know anything about D&D previously, but I thought the box cover artwork looked cool. At first before opening up the box, I was thinking the box contained a puzzle or board game of some sort.

Last edited:

This would be a better marketing strategy. At least it doesn't have as many obvious negative connotations.
I don't think anyone was actually saying they would print the words "final edition" on the cover. If that's what you were protesting, I don't think anyone would really argue with you.

ggroy

First Post
If that's what you were protesting, I don't think anyone would really argue with you.

That's exactly what I was protesting about.

Though I wouldn't protest about having "D&D Ultimate Edition" written on the front cover.

Perception is everything when it comes to the impulse buying habits of 13 year old kids. ;)

That's exactly what I was protesting about.
You can understand my confusion then. If you check the posts you were responding to, they were discussing a "final edition" business model. I don't see where they suggested the edition would be marketed as the Final Edition.

I agree. I think that eventually, they can and will sort of stop moving the game ahead to new editions, and I'm imagining (hoping?) that at that point, they decide to go back and republish older editions, so that they can make money off of different kinds of D&D, and (re)attract older customers.

I'm not going to speculate how likely this scenario is, but following a revised Fifth Edition, it might be a cool thing to have happen.

This is exactly the kind of "5E should be 3E!" post that infuriates me.

Paizo has over 50,000 members. They're claiming that there have been over 50,000 downloads of the Pathfinder Beta. Since you have to have a board account to download the beta and they only count the first download it can be extrapolated that their board has over 50,000 members.

I made a user account on Paizo in order to vote on the first RPG Superstar thing, since a friend of mine made the first cut of the contest (he didn't make the second :erm:)

Since those days, I have used that account exactly twice

1.- I bought a flipmat (very good quality product, btw)

2.- I downloaded the Pathfinder Beta (liked the art, a lot; disliked the rules, not enough changes)

I haven't been around the Pathfinder forums since, and my friend (the RPG Superstar candidate) eventually quit that site because of the generalized 4E hate...

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This is exactly the kind of "5E should be 3E!" post that infuriates me.

Can I ask why that is? It seemed pretty OK to me, and actually a pretty smart strategy for WotC: not to stop advancing the game, but to bring the fallout communities back under its umbrella.

I didn't get the "5e should be 3e!" vibe from it at all, but more: "Why is WotC not making money from people who are clamoring for 1e material?"

The answer for the last 20 or so years has been that not enough people would buy it to make it worthwhile, financially.

But something the internet is the ultimate economy of scale: you can reach a huge audience for fractions of pennies. Why not make it a profit mill?

I'm sure that when WotC stops making "new editions," they will still be making improvements to the D&D game, it's just that the D&D game will become a very broad thing, rather than being narrowly defined.

Can I ask why that is?

It may be that the original poster did not mean it, but the whole comment just felt like a passive-agressive attack.

But it will be a pleasure to respond to your perfectly reasonable and insightful post ;)

As I see it, WotC's current business model for D&D is to sell the core rulebooks and a few supplements, and try to motivate third parties to publish supplements and adventures through the strict rules of the GSL.

When that market dries up (let's say every 5-8 years), then it is time to redesign the game and publish a new edition, starting the cycle again.

Now, in this business model, supporting previous editions would be a very bad idea (since it would theoretically eat through the sales of the current edition)

However, let's say that WotC decides to switch models, and take a "Hasbro approach" (that has been selling the same Risk and Monopoly games for decades, with very minor variants)

In this approach, design and development freezes to a halt and instead Hasbro publishes three different games, each on a single boxed set:

"Dungeons and Dragons Classic" a cleaned up version of AD&D 1st and 2nd editions

"Dungeons and Dragons Worldmaker" a revamped and rebalanced version of 3E, with expanded world-creation rules.

"Dungeons and Dragons Epic Heroes" a cleaned up and errataed 4E

Additional cashflow that would usually come from new versions of the game would instead be generated from the sale of supplements that would support all editions, like miniatures, and dungeon tiles. Also, D&Di would provide support for all three games, with additional content for the different product lines.

Now, this is not to say I would take this path if it were up to me....;)

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In this approach, design and development freezes to a halt and instead Hasbro publishes three different games, each on a single boxed set:

"Dungeons and Dragons Classic" a cleaned up version of AD&D 1st and 2nd editions

"Dungeons and Dragons Worldmaker" a revamped and rebalanced version of 3E, with expanded world-creation rules.

"Dungeons and Dragons Epic Heroes" a cleaned up and errataed 4E
This is one of the more intelligent things I have ever read here. Were something like this to happen I'd back it to the hilt. And if the three games were at least vaguely compatible with each other, such that for example material from Worldmaker could be easily used in Classic, I'd be in gamergeek heaven!

However, R+D need not necessarily freeze to a halt; it need merely change its focus to tweaking the existing games instead of inventing new ones. (or, instead, invent new ones but market them under a different banner than D+D)

Lanefan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads