• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) No Dwarf, Halfling, and Orc suborgins, lineages, and legacies

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Sure yes, have curated settings I have no issues with doing that, my point was that Wizards themselves are unlikely to ever actually do that again, from what i gather all the current curated settings are holdovers from previous editions as fans vehemently wanted a return of previous lore, but curation of settings typically means telling people XYZ options aren’t compatible with the lore we’ve created, and people don’t like being told they can’t use their toys that they’ve bought and the result is the customer won’t end up buying one or the other of the products which Wizards doesn’t want as it’ll get them less money.

Ive never touched or been interested in warcraft so no idea what those are, sorry.

No i was thinking more broadly than that, lean more into the nature spirit deal and say gnomes can be produced from any species and the type of species they derived from determines determines the type of gnome they are, kinda like how both aasimar and tiefling are both (vaguely) human+outer planar entity creating a separate offspring, gnome offspring are [nature magic]+(species)=gnome subspecies
people are not as bad as it seems it is more you have to sell them on an idea hence focusing on less well used options, someone wants proper golaith lore, and put a big sidebar in saying something about the excluded options being perfectly legal with table discussion, half the DM's by stuff for parts to strip and player love new character options(race and class mostly) you can make money using those as ways to sweeten the pot.

dude I have never touched a warcraft game in my life and even I know Green Shaman Jesus Thrall

e.g. this guy
1710695751594.jpeg

how would your proposed gnomes work and what is the core making them all the same sort of thing, I am intrigued by where this could go?

Mind of tempest

I'm sure there is such a way, but at this point I doubt anyone's going to find it. Too many complainers.
why have you tried, people want to build things better options for their setting, arcane magic-loving societies tend to be coded for wizards so inevitably it will sort of generate in the name of selling people on a thing.

we can do might, agility and constitution fairly well how hard could intellect, wisdom and charm be?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
why have you tried, people want to build things better options for their setting, arcane magic-loving societies tend to be coded for wizards so inevitably it will sort of generate in the name of selling people on a thing.

we can do might, agility and constitution fairly well how hard could intellect, wisdom and charm be?
I've tried all sorts of things that work for me. This is not a design problem really; rather, it's a public relations and marketing problem.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
how would your proposed gnomes work and what is the core making them all the same sort of thing, I am intrigued by where this could go?
I think i'd make them all this sort of 'fey nature elemental spirit' species, with a very loose definition of elemental, a common thread of them being these small, higher magic variations on most of the species, with stronger connections to the ‘parent’s associated element.

Sometimes they might trade out features from the base species just so they’ve got a little bit more room to play up the gnomeness, or a variant on the feature, perhaps giving them auras as a theme, like a rock gnome projects an aura of the dwarven poison resistance, like yes, these are small and ‘weak’ but their strength is in their magic and supporting their teammates.

edit maybe druidic as a shared language

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

I've tried all sorts of things that work for me. This is not a design problem really; rather, it's a public relations and marketing problem.
given what works for you is stats and we seem to move away from that towards abilities(the character budget of a race should be higher) it is a question of none superfluous coding without hitting anything problematic, it does not seem undoable, not easy but could be done.

perhaps it is asking the right questions in the right place?

Hussar

Legend
I mean it is obviously some sort of personal hang up. As the rapid goalpost shifting has shown, it is not based on facts. And that's fine, it is OK to hate halflings, they're no real. I hate centaurs. I am just not trying to pretend that this is anything more than a personal preference.

And it should be obvious why removing all the species that represent a broad archetype is bad idea. Halflings are somewhat popular, gnomes not so much but a lot of people still like them. But their combined popularity is quite high. Halfling lovers might be fine with playing a gnome in a pinch and vice versa, but if neither option is present they're out of luck.

PHB cannot have everything, but it should have good selection of different archetypes. That's why I am not sure that it is necessarily great idea to have both orcs and goliaths, as their archetypes are quite similar.

Y’know it’s rude and against board rules to ascribe motives to posters right? Particularly when you’ve been upright told you are mistaken.

Please stop.

I dunno, but I'm kinda getting tired of the difference in subspecies being "list of bonus spells". I'd much rather they swap out different traits like astral/eladrin/sea elves do than make it "this type of dwarves has XYZ spells per day, but this other type has ABC spells per day nonsense.
Likewise. Indeed I'd rather ban subclasses being differentiated by spells as a general design principle.
Also, I don't think every race needs subspecies
Agreed.

Remove ads