D&D (2024) No Dwarf, Halfling, and Orc suborgins, lineages, and legacies

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So the 2024 versions of origins or species are likely close to locked.
However I am both shocked and not shocked that Elf, Gnome, Goliath, and Tielfing have lineages that split them up into popular archetypes for the origins but Dwarf, Halfling, and Orc have no internal major cultural or biological diversity within their mechanics.

Although it was UA, the structure is likely to remain.

This is odd. Dwarf and Halfling originally had subraces in 5e. Some say the subraces were veryuninspired or boring in lore or mechanics. However that could be fixed. Others liked them. They were classic or traditional. And poor Orcs were elevated to core PHB PC status and the attempt wasn't even made.

And before one can say there was no experimenting, these origins were revealed with an all new origin option and new sub option for Tieflings.

So the Stout Halfling and Mountain Dwarf mechanics were removed and replaced with nothing. And the poor Orc was merged with its former hybrid kin and never attempted to be giving lineages nor legacies. No Mountain Orcs or Orogs or nothing.

Personally,I think al these of these origins/races/species were penalized for being debuted early. Stout Halflings, Mountain Dwrves, and Orogs would have been great with Weapon Masteries. Martials could use a free mastery. Casters could use a free Mastery. However since Masteries are new, we don't have a conversion chart for what Masteries are equal to. Could you trade a skill for them? Dwarven toughness? Halfling Nimbleness?

And this is before you think about creating new subs for these origins. City halflings? Fire dwarves? Pig orcs?

So how do you think:

Should WOTC recreate Drawven and Halfling subspecies?
Should WOTC create Orcs subspecies?
How fast do you want it?
Will you (re)create them if WOTC doesn't?
What are your ideas for them?

aco175

Legend
Well some subraces were not played because their mechanics were so bad and their lore nor lock were not good enough to overcome that.
I agree, but they have/had time to come out with something better if they wanted. I do not recall a UA article or playtest about this stuff. It seem low on the radar over other things.

I would agree that I would rather fix other things and just get rid of some of these things.

Should WOTC recreate Drawven and Halfling subspecies?
I don't see why they need to. I mean it's all supposed to be backwards compatible, right? So technically, if someone wants to play a stout halfling, they can just use the 2014 PHB.
Should WOTC create Orcs subspecies?
I think these will be better suited to culture, like Eberron.
How fast do you want it?
There are already over 100 species. (Backwards compatibility) I can't imagine needing more quickly.
Will you (re)create them if WOTC doesn't?
No.
What are your ideas for them?
N/A

Horwath

Legend
not race really needs a sub-race if racial abilities are mostly non specialized.

I.E:
Astral elf can be default elf.
Bonus action teleport works for any character concepts.
Perception and darkvision works for any character concepts.
Bonus cantrip is always useful
and variable skill +weapon/tool works everywhere.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don’t think every species needs to have subs, but dwarves should have mountain and hill. Halflings IMO don’t need it
I agree somewhat.

Halflings don't need it. D&D is better off creating new small races that actually do things than breaking up "small humans" more.

Dwarves on the other hand needs to embrace fire resistant Fire/Forge/Volcano Dwarves with their apprentice smiths pouring lava into forges and their warriors opening with salvos of magma bolts from their fire runes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I agree somewhat.

Halflings don't need it. D&D is better off creating new small races that actually do things than breaking up "small humans" more.

Dwarves on the other hand needs to embrace fire resistant Fire/Forge/Volcano Dwarves with their apprentice smiths pouring lava into forges and their warriors opening with salvos of magma bolts from their fire runes.
Do they though?

Why?

Remove ads