D&D 5E No Monsters Immune to Stun?

dave2008

Legend
Does she. I have not read her stat block, but most of them say if XXX fails a saving throw XXXr can "choose" to pass instead. Why would she choose to succeed on a save that is not going to have any affect?
I posted images of the text from the book in post #35 FYI, we are not talking about her legendary resistance, but her condition immunities and her multiple heads trait, heck for the ease of it see below:

1612653938441.png

dave2008

Legend
That's an awkward way of letting stuns still be somewhat useful on Tiamat without letting them do what they normally would.
I guess that could be what they are going for, but to me it is complete BS. Why even list her as immune to the stunned condition if your are going to negate stuns by spending a legendary action (or save or legendary resistance). It makes no sense. If the intent was to make stuns somewhat effective, all you need is the Multiple Heads trait, there is no need to make her immune to the stunned condition

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Probably so that she can't be stunned if her Legendary Actions run out. Still lets a Monk help out by reducing the LAs, but stops her from getting stunlocked to death.

dave2008

Legend
Probably so that she can't be stunned if her Legendary Actions run out. Still lets a Monk help out by reducing the LAs, but stops her from getting stunlocked to death.
But she is immune to being stunned - she can't be stun locked. She doesn't have to use LA or LR on stun effects

Monks have one (1) singular ability that stuns. That's it.

If a player whines because one of their abilities doesn't work on a certain specific type of enemy they occasionally face, they would not be welcome at my table.

Stunning Fist is central to the Monks Oomph from 5th level onwards. If you make a whole heap of monsters immune to Stun, you're totally nerfing the Monk class.

It would be like making a whole heap of monsters immune to Radiant damage. Your Paladin players will hate you.

CapnZapp

Legend
But she is immune to being stunned - she can't be stun locked. She doesn't have to use LA or LR on stun effects
Tiamat is clearly meant to be forced into saving throws to keep her legendary actions without stun attacks having any other effect (so once she's run out of legendary actions, nothing more can happen).

And no, that's not how the rules for immunity work.

There really isn't nothing more to say.

dave2008

Legend
Tiamat is clearly meant to be forced into saving throws to keep her legendary actions without stun attacks having any other effect (so once she's run out of legendary actions, nothing more can happen).

And no, that's not how the rules for immunity work.

There really isn't nothing more to say.
I understand that is the supposed intent of the Multiple Heads trait, but why then make her immune to stuns? It is rather odd to say, hey if your hit with studs 5 times in a round you loose a LA, but that 6th time has no effect at all. To me, one or the other is a mistake. They don't make sense together.

I understand that is the supposed intent of the Multiple Heads trait, but why then make her immune to stuns? It is rather odd to say, hey if your hit with studs 5 times in a round you loose a LA, but that 6th time has no effect at all. To me, one or the other is a mistake. They don't make sense together.

It's best to read it as 'instead of the usual effects of being Stunned, she loses a LA instead. If she has no LA's to lose, she is immunee to Stunned.

dave2008

Legend
It's best to read it as 'instead of the usual effects of being Stunned, she loses a LA instead. If she has no LA's to lose, she is immunee to Stunned.
I get that too, but that makes no sense to me. I mean how often is tiamat going to fail 5 saves for a stunning effects in one round? I guess if she is fighting a group of all monks? IMO, it is best to read it as a mistake (either the trait or the condition immunity).

It doesn't really matter to me as I have my own much more powerful version of Tiamat, and I eliminated that part of the multiple heads trait.

Remove ads