• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Multi-class Option Idea

Blockader7

First Post
Instead of allowing multi-classing, why not create main classes that would combine features of different classes? For example, instead of a Sorcerer-Fighter 1/1, why not create a class that combines their class features?

What would be the merits and strengths of this idea?

Kale78

First Post
I suppose it could work. It would be good for people who saw wanted to play a fighter/mage type, but didn't want to play a straight mage a couple levels to get some decent spells, and then a straight fighter a few levels to get decent hit points.
You just have to watch the power level on such a class, not giving it too many abilities of either class so that everyone only chooses the new class. It also wouldn't allow as many options I think for customizing characters. Are you wanting to do away with prestige classes also? This would be harder to accomplish. And you need to consider the amount of work involved, if you want to go around creating new classes everytime anyone wants to play a multiclass character.

Angcuru

First Post
I think this is a good idea, although it poises the problem of not being able to take a character in a different direction later on. In cases of 'I wanna play a half&half sorcerer/fighter', then this is a good idea, otherwise, keep multi-classing open.

And since this is a good idea, here's a head start for ya. I almost feel guilty, posting this up so much.

Basically your Cleric/Wizard type.

EDIT: Forgot you can't change an uploaded file, only delete it. Oh well.

Last edited:

Drawmack

First Post
Let's look at some numbers shall we.

There are 12 (I think) core classes. If the number is a little different this will still work for my number crunching below to illustrate the point.

I think there is two combinations that can be ruled out for alignment conflicts. Again if the number's are a little off then it still works to illustrate the points.

This means that you need 12^2 -2 = 142 core classes to handle every possible dual classed individual.

Now if you want to get into triple classes you're looking at 12^3 - (12 * 2) = 1728 - 24 = 1704 core classes.

My final judgement, this is a really bad idea.

Spatzimaus

First Post
That's what a lot of the classes already are. Bard = Rogue/Sorcerer, Ranger = Rogue/Druid, Paladin = Fighter/Cleric, Psychic Warrior = Psion/Fighter. Mix most of the class abilities, add a few new ones, and there you go.

Drawmack: your numbers are off. With 12 core classes, there are (12*11/2) = 66 combinations, before subtracting for alignment conflicts.

(It's 12*11/2 because you have 12 choices for the first class, 11 for the second since you don't want to repeat the first, and divide by 2 since order doesn't matter, i.e. Fighter/Cleric and Cleric/Fighter are the same)

Alignment conflicts would rule out Barbarian/Monk, Bard/Monk, Barbarian/Paladin, Bard/Paladin, and Paladin/Druid. So you're down to 61, plus the 12 core classes. Except, of course, that many of these combinations still work if you change alignments; a Barbarian/Monk could be a Barbarian who changed to Lawful.

Even so, it's still adding a huge number of classes, and it's LESS flexible than the current system. So why would you do it? If anything, go with fewer core classes and put more things as Prestige Classes. For examle, no one in their right mind goes Cleric/Wizard unless they're going for a Prestige Class like Mystic Theurge, so you either end up with a core class that duplicates the Prestige Class, or you make a core class that no one wants to take.

woodelf

First Post
Spatzimaus said:
That's what a lot of the classes already are. Bard = Rogue/Sorcerer, Ranger = Rogue/Druid, Paladin = Fighter/Cleric, Psychic Warrior = Psion/Fighter. Mix most of the class abilities, add a few new ones, and there you go.

That's exactly the route i'm going: eliminate multiclassing XP penalties, and yank out all the arbitrary elements from the classes--make them pure utilitarian packages of abilities (why, pray tell, is the "barbarian" really a berserker?). When i'm done, there'll be 6 classes [names still need work]: warrior, expert, faithful, caster, zen, and primitive. You want to play something like the existing barbarian? warrior/primitive, with the right feats. Druid? Caster/primitive. Cleric? Faithful/caster. Paladin? Warrior/faithful (with some caster, if you want them to have actual spells, not just nifty abilities). Monk? Warrior/zen. Psion? Zen. Etc. The RP/flavor stuff is still there (especialyl in feats), but you're not forced to take stuff that doesn't fit your concept. I'm doing my best to package stuff along functional lines--so the expert is all about skills,and you can play a rogue/thief type without having to be good at killing ppeople.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Woodelf, that's not bad, but it's a lot like the "Paladin as Prestige Class?" threads have pointed out: these classes are made unique by the special class abilities they get at low level, so if you only make Paladin a Fighter/Cleric who gets certain special abilities once he reaches PrC level, it drastically shifts the demographics of the world. Not that that's always a bad thing, but it's something you need to remember.

My friends and I have been working on a generic homebrew usable for both a Shadowrun-type setting and stock D&D. Basically, we felt there were just too many classes with too much overlap. If you add the Psionics classes, that's FIVE "pure caster" classes with heavily overlapping abilities. Then, add Prestige Classes to the mix...

In our world, we're sticking with 9 "core" classes: the 6 d20Modern classes plus 3 magical ones (Mutant, Channeler, Wizard). With these classes, we could not only reconstruct all the D&D classes, we also managed to convert characters from all kinds of other systems. It's all been done before (d20 Modern has Urban Arcana, 4CTF has a Modern variant coming out...), but it's nice to have a system you personally feel confident is balanced.

Last edited:

woodelf

First Post
Spatzimaus said:
Woodelf, that's not bad, but it's a lot like the "Paladin as Prestige Class?" threads have pointed out: these classes are made unique by the special class abilities they get at low level, so if you only make Paladin a Fighter/Cleric who gets certain special abilities once he reaches PrC level, it drastically shifts the demographics of the world. Not that that's always a bad thing, but it's something you need to remember.
Well, i don't think paladin is a god example. I've always been a bit leary of the idea of low-level paladins, but until the prestige class idea was shoved my way, didn't see a way to fix it within a class/level system. Yes, all the characters start out borderline-incopmetent, but for most of them, i can see it. I just can't see a 1st level "champion of my god". Anyway, that one's a matter of taste (and the abilities, if not the attitude, will probably be supported right from 1st/2nd level with my system), so let's skip paladin for a moment and look at other classes: Ranger. What are a ranger's abilities? Can fight pretty well, is a huntsman and has bonuses against favored enemies, wilderness skills, animal friends, and a few spells (starting at middling levels). With my system, you'd take warrior and expert levels in about equal measure to get the fighting and wilderness skills. If you see rangers as having the animal friendship abilities, probably 1 or 2 levels of primitive (which synergizes with what you're doing here, wrt wilderness skills) are all you need. And then, later on, you take the occasional level of caster. You can do all the same stuff, in about the same mix. What changes is the way you acquire it, slightly--now, the abilities that you want to make your character are spread out over 2 or more classes that you alternate between. I admit that's a slight drawback. But in D&D, the same thing happens the minute you want something that no single class supports. The fighter/wizard (or fighter/sorcerer) frex, takes turns getting better at spellcasting (the fighting thing isn't quite as obvious, since BABs stack). Unless you have an infinite number of classes, or just one class, this'll always be the case. But D&D makes the problem worse by tying all sorts of disparate abilities together. Easiest example: you want to be good at dodging? You also have to be good at either sneak attacks or raging. You want to disarm traps? You're also good at sneak attacks. You want to heal people? You're also good at fighting. and so on.

So my goal was to boil this down *just* to related abilities. and to have the themes be fairly archetypal to the sort of fantasy D&D does. So all of the expert's abilities relate to being skillful. In order to maximiz customizability, and also cut down on the stutter-growth effect, i'm upping the feat count a bit. Lots of classes are having their class abilities largely replaced by bonus feats, and an appropriate feat list. General character feats are also a bit more frequent, for those times when your concept is just a couple of feats outside of a basic class, so you don't really want to or need to pick up a whole 'nother class. (Frex, the ranger above--maybe the only reason for that character to pick up a level of primitive is for the animal friendship ability, so why not just spend a feat or two on it?) That also means that i'm trying to trim the class abilities down to only those things that you really shouldn't be able to get without being a member of the class.

Hmmm... i think i had more cool stuff to say, but i should've been in bed an hour ago. g'night.

My friends and I have been working on a generic homebrew usable for both a Shadowrun-type setting and stock D&D. Basically, we felt there were just too many classes with too much overlap. If you add the Psionics classes, that's FIVE "pure caster" classes with heavily overlapping abilities. Then, add Prestige Classes to the mix...

Yeah, there really shouldn't be psion & sorcerer, or psychic warrior & monk, in the same campaign/world, IMHO. Unless you actually make psionics different from spellcasting. But as is, they step on each others' schticks too much.

oh, though i'm not sure i'd class druid or cleric as "pure casters"--they may be roughly as competent as a wizard, but they've got tons of other cool abilities, so they're not nearly as nerfed when they run out of magic.

Draugin

First Post
I tinkered with that idea, Woodelf, at the age of 2nd edition, when multiclassing was not a clever mechanic so at last I rejected it. Basically, that's the old idea of "four (or little more) basic classes by which you can extract your own character".
The main old stream revolves about four classes (warrior, rogue, mage and priest, you called them warrior, expert, caster and faithful), mixed so that if you pick up some levels of warrior and many of priest you can mimic a cleric, with more levels of warrior and a little of priest you can have a paladin and so on.
Adding the primitive and zen is interesting, and I think that it could work.
This is more or less the same thing they've done with d20 Modern.

Actually, I think you're shifting many class abilities to feat and feat chains, and that could bring to more flexibility.

BUT the fact is, if you give more freedom, be careful that many min-maxers and munchkins will surely find a way to make a uber-PC. With fixed classes and multiclass restrictions they are toning down the problem.

Secondary, I know that the class system is just a game mechanic, but how many players are aware of that? They think in terms of "barbarian" or "cleric" and it's the class that makes the character and not the reverse, as it should be.
So if you remove standard class flavour, you could lead to more abstract thinking - some players could react well, and start thinking about their PCs and not about their classes, but some others will simply start thinking about their warrior/zen/caster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads