• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Prestige Classes

StGabe

First Post
That's all cool. I didn't realize you were having bajillions of variant classes which does change things up a bit. Although, honestly, it's a bit confusing to me with respect to your initial premise.

Also you still haven't explained how my example player (the cat-haunted rogue) would express his character design in your system (unless there is a variant class for that written somewhere).

Using tons of variant classes is confusing to me because I am very careful about what variants I use (and use very few that aren't handcrafted) exactly for the reasons you seem to want to disallow freeform multiclassing. I find that opening the gate to so many classes (usually less playtested classes) creates all sorts of opportunities for play imbalance and "gaming the system". In my experience, players who dig through every source book available to grab obscure variant base classes or what not are the ones who end up way overpowered and under RP'ed.

It just seems odd to me that you would allow all sorts of variant classes, etc., or even (apparently, by your comments a few posts ago) make up new feats for players but you won't simply talk to them about their class choices and make sure that they are choosing classes in order to fulfill an interesting character concept and not to be munchkins.

Because I mention it every post, why doesn't the following guideline fix all your multiclassing problems as you've expressed them:

All choices of classes after your first must be pre-approved by the DM.

You mumbled something about wanting a guideline in advance but really, that IS a guideline in advance. Just talk to each player during player creation about where they see their character going in the future and you are set. If something major happens to change how a player develops you can simply have that chat again. It's not that hard to tell whether a player is picking a new class because of stats or because it fits an RP plan they have. And if they have a solid plan for their character concept and how they RP their character then does it matter how many classes are involved???

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Why does a cat-haunted rogue need levels of sorcerer? First of all, a familiar does not haunt a character. It is a class feature that provides a benefit. Second of all, if you want a halfling rogue to have a cat following him around or something unusual like that, I have no problem with simply saying a cat follows you around. It would be unlikely to provide you any mechanical benefit, but it would work. And if you think the character needs a touch of the supernatural, then take one of the feats from Complete Arcane that gives you three spell-like abilities once per day or be a spellthief. I couldn't care less that you are starved for feats. If you bring a complicated character concept to me and tell me you want to have it all, I am likely to tell you that you will have to wait awhile if the campaign is starting at 1st level. 1st level characters are neophytes, newbies, novices. They are not badasses with uber skillz and 1337 powerz. If you want to be a two-weapon fighting rogue and have some arcane ability, you should be prepared to sacrifice some of your feats to do so and you should be willing to either wait until gaining several levels to realize the full potential or be willing to take on some flaws. Really. It isn't that complicated. Two levels of sorcerer is not vital. It would probably be combined with practiced spellcaster anyway just so the rogue could make 4-5 touch attacks per day for 5d6 electricity damage plus sneak attack.

And yea, I strongly prefer making guidelines ahead of time and treating every player the same as opposed to making individual judgments and treating players differently. I am the kind of person who likes to have guidelines and doesn't like to bend the rules unless absolutely necessary. That way, it is fair to everyone. Player 1 then doesn't get to say "well Player 2 got to take his prestige class, why can't I take mine?"

And yes, it matters how many classes a character has. Players should choose an archetype and stick to it. Slight variances to make your wizard a bit different from every other wizard are just fine. But you are still a wizard.

Technik4

First Post
And yes, it matters how many classes a character has. Players should choose an archetype and stick to it. Slight variances to make your wizard a bit different from every other wizard are just fine. But you are still a wizard.

I am trying to see things from your perspective, but I just can't. Perhaps we are just different people. Myself, I didn't know what I wanted to be growing up. I went to school for computer science, flunked out and became a cook at a restaurant. After working at the restaurant for a year and becoming dissatisfied I joined the military as a Russian Linguist and served for 4 years in 2 different states (California and Texas). I got bored being a linguist and didn't particularly care for the type of person that stays in the military so I rejected the re-enlistment bonus. I became a security guard at Target and went to school in Chicago until family affairs created an opportunity in California so I moved to LA and now I work at a grocery store and have begun going to my 3rd college (Finished my AA in Chicago, now Im working on my BA). I wanted to be a teacher in Chicago and focused on education classes. Now I am majoring in Anthropology and want to travel and experience other cultures (and write about them). One day I will probably end up teaching. I'd also like to write novels.

I just turned 27.

I can understand that some people went to school for something, finished, and are doing it. And that is great, but to say 'you can't' to someone who doesn't know what they want to be just seems draconic to me. My characters always evolve organically in a campaign. If I begin at level 1, I have no idea what classes I'll have by level 6, it largely depends on the campaign, my companions, and the challenges we face. I've played 1st level wizards that picked up rogue levels (which from a power-gaming perspective is a big no-no, you take rogue first for more HP and Skills). Why did I do it? My character was constantly using his Hide and Move Silently cross-class skills and firing his bow (elven wizard), not casting spells.

I guess I'm just not impressed with a lot of the new base classes and love multiclassing. But I've certainly not seen any hard data pointing to multiclassing being overpowered (whereas some of those new base classes raise my hackles a bit). And I think multiclassing is extremely elegant and a good way to express character concepts (although it works better the fewer/more balanced classes you allow).

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Technik4 said:
I am trying to see things from your perspective, but I just can't. Perhaps we are just different people. Myself, I didn't know what I wanted to be growing up...

I just turned 27.

Adventurers have already decided upon their vocations. That is why some of them are as young as 16 and others as old as 27. Some vocations take longer to learn, and some people take longer to settle on one vocation than others. Now, it is worth pointing out that you are a human, and humans have the ability to pick up a new class later. Demihumans do not. Why people cannot grasp the latter, I fail to understand. You would think since this is a fantasy world, one could imagine that humans retain a distinct advantage of adaptability, but no, everyone seems to think a dwarf or an elf thinks, acts, and matures just like a human. I think such a prospect is silly. Elves are not just humans with pointy ears who live a long time. Dwarves are not just short, stocky humans with beards. Halflings are not just furry-footed midgets. They are races with their own traditions, beliefs, practices, abilities, and skills.

Think of it like this, the default rule is that no creature is adaptable enough to be able to learn an entirely new set of skills after reaching maturation/adulthood. Humans have a unique racial trait called "adaptability" that allows them to learn an entirely new set of skills after reaching adulthood.

Technik4 said:
I can understand that some people went to school for something, finished, and are doing it. And that is great, but to say 'you can't' to someone who doesn't know what they want to be just seems draconic to me.

I think you mean draconian. There is nothing necessarily dragonlike about disallowing one to learn a new set of skills. :)

And for the record, most people who learn a trade or develop a skill do that or some variation thereof for the rest of their lives. At 27, you are still pretty young. However, at 37, the prospect of changing careers again will probably seem distasteful to you. Lots of people hold several different jobs in their lifetime before they are 40. But most people stick to the same kind of work regardless of who employs them. It is because of the relative inability of human adults to learn new things relative to human children. Those who don't do the same kind of work most of their lives are the exception, not the rule.

Technik4 said:
My characters always evolve organically in a campaign. If I begin at level 1, I have no idea what classes I'll have by level 6, it largely depends on the campaign, my companions, and the challenges we face. I've played 1st level wizards that picked up rogue levels (which from a power-gaming perspective is a big no-no, you take rogue first for more HP and Skills). Why did I do it? My character was constantly using his Hide and Move Silently cross-class skills and firing his bow (elven wizard), not casting spells.

You see, this is exactly where the powergamer comes out. First of all, I doubt you were really never casting spells unless this was a world where magic was rare or frowned upon. But if that was the case, why was the DM letting you play a mage anyway. Second of all, the reason you took rogue levels instead of putting cross-class ranks into Hide and Move Silently is because you were powergaming, either subconsciously or consciously. You decided that Hide and Move Silently were valuable skills so you decided you had to max them out. Getting sneak attack, a boost to Reflex, and an extra hp or two probably didn't hurt the decision either. Being a wizard who knows how to use those skills doesn't make you any less a wizard, but neither does it make you a rogue. From your description, there is no good reason you couldn't have simply taken cross-class ranks other than powergaming. Did your wizard join a thieves guild and spend several years developing his talent at stealth? The rogue did, what makes your wizard so special that he can just pick up a new class without training? If I go spend all night sneaking around your house I would be rolling a lot of Hide/Move Silently checks, but that would not mean I was suddenly better at doing so. I would have to study up on it, either by reading or learning from masters. And then I would have to put it in practice against many individuals. I doubt your wizards, who most likely rolled 5-10 such checks before taking a rogue level, have anything resembling the type of training a rogue went through. What you describe is not a viable excuse for taking rogue levels, it is a good reason to consider putting a few ranks in Hide and Move Silently. That, along with investing in a good Dex and some beneficial magic items will make you almost as good as a rogue, but then again, you weren't supposed to be just as good as a rogue in the first place. You spent years of your life training to be a wizard, not a rogue.

And there is nothing wrong with powergaming in and of itself. But when used as an excuse to bastardize elements of a character's background, I groan. If you took rogue levels after several levels of taking cross-class ranks in sneaky skills, roleplayed joining a thieves guild, and did several in-character training missions with them, I would be less inclined to decry your multiclassing as pure powergaming. But since you indicated nothing of the sort as your reason, rather stating the reason was because you were using Hide and Move Silently, it can then be inferred that your choice was motivated primarily by the desire to be more powerful regarding stealth. Besides all that, the more rational decision for a wizard who wants to be stealthy is to craft a pair of boots of elvenkind and cast invisibility on himself.

And this brings up one more thing that I want to address. As I've said before, most classes are front-loaded. Take a level of wizard and get a full spellbook plus Scribe Scroll and +2 to your Will saves! Take a level of rogue and get lots of skill points, +1d6 sneak attack, +2 to Reflex, and the ability to spot traps, not to mention weapon and armor proficiencies. Take a level of barbarian and get rage, fast movement, weapon proficiencies, a decent number of skills for a fighting class, +2 Fort and great hp. How could any fighter or ranger pass up just one level of barbarian? The reason it is assumed your character spent several years developing this front-loaded abilities is because it should take several years to learn this kind of stuff. I actually have little problem letting a player play a gestalt character with an XP penalty to keep him a few levels lower than everyone else if the player wants to play a multiclass character since it makes sense that the character spent those formative years studying his vocations. But it does not make sense that a barbarian who spent his life in the wild suddenly discovers not only how to read and write, but masters 1st level magical spells.

Maybe my solution should just be to require X number of years before a character can take a level in a brand new class where X = the variable added to a character's base age based on class. That way, multiclassing would be effectively prohibited in all but long-term campaigns.

Technik4 said:
But I've certainly not seen any hard data pointing to multiclassing being overpowered (whereas some of those new base classes raise my hackles a bit).

Here's some hard data for you. A fighter 4/barbarian 1 is superior to a fighter 5 in EVERY way. Go figure that one out. Most classes have arguably similar situations.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
StGabe said:
Now you don't even have to take an xp penalty for getting features from several different classes?

Who said that you should turn the base classes features into feats?

Just break down the prestige classes this way, not the core classes, and don't break down features which are copies of the core classes features.

See the Assassin example: sneak attack, uncanny dodge, improved uncanny dodge are not turned into feats, even if I mentioned that you could if you want. To get those abilities you still need to have Rogue levels.

The Levitator

First Post
As a DM, I approach the game with a sort of "all things with moderation" approach. I personally love it when my players multiclass, but that's it. No triple, quadruple, quintuple class characters. PrC?s If it's in a book somewhere that I can get my hands on, go for it! But you only get one PrC class. It's been my personal experience that the majority (translated, all but a couple) of quadruple-classed, tri-raced, double PrC'd players can barely play a human fighter very well. It has almost seemed to me that some players (again, this is just personal experience, not a national statistic) actually hide behind intentionally confusing characters. Playing this way also gives them the excuse to blame the DM when they die. "I would have been fine, but the DM only allow quadruple classing, and I needed that 5th class to get my character where I wanted!"

I have no problem with powergamers. But my players do. They are roleplay and story-centric gamers. They don't spend 2 weeks pouring over books to find the perfect combination of whatever to take advantage of some loophole or loosely worded rule. Like I said, that kind of player is just as valid as any other, just not at our table, because my players play for the story, not for a videogame sense of achievement of getting all the high scores. I let one powergamer join our group last year. He wanted to play a half-drow, planetouched Enlightened Fist/Frenzied Beserker/I can't remember the rest. I had to remind him first of all that we start at 1st level, so he'd need to start with a base class. I thought his head was going to explode. He complained that the 1st 5 levels of D&D are a waste of time and the game isn't even fun until you get your first prestige class. Then I told him we only allow 1 prestige class. I think I actually saw him lose consciousness for a second. Anyhoo, he started with a monk to work on the Enlightened Fist PrC. He lived for 2 sessions, nearly dying the first session, and dying the second, both situations totally avoidable by even a 2nd year player. Watching his play style, it was obvious to me that he was one of those players that ran overly-complex characters so nobody can tell if they are playing well or not.

I don't limit multiclassing to 2 classes and PrC's to only 1 to hogtie my players. I allow just about every book in D&D ( I have over 50) I think. I just prefer that people run characters they can actually handle. A lot of people think they can handle a 100+ HP shifter cart, yet I've seen them lift on a soft corner in a box stock, 5 hp. go kart.

Maybe a compromise could be that instead of eliminating PrC's, just limit them to only 1. And don't allow any multiclassing beyond 2 classes. This keeps the "builds" manageable and keeps the characters from getting so exotic that they aren't even playable. Heck, you could even just hand pick the PrC's that you will allow and even preselect the multiclass combinations you'll accept. If your players think it's too restrictive, they will end up leaving the table. But if they have a good time despite the restrictions, then it was worth all the effort! :D

Technik4

First Post
airwalkrr said:
Now, it is worth pointing out that you are a human, and humans have the ability to pick up a new class later. Demihumans do not. Why people cannot grasp the latter, I fail to understand. You would think since this is a fantasy world, one could imagine that humans retain a distinct advantage of adaptability, but no, everyone seems to think a dwarf or an elf thinks, acts, and matures just like a human. I think such a prospect is silly. Elves are not just humans with pointy ears who live a long time. Dwarves are not just short, stocky humans with beards. Halflings are not just furry-footed midgets. They are races with their own traditions, beliefs, practices, abilities, and skills.

Quite right, but I think because humans are so diverse and flexible we immediately tend to make other races "more simple" in contrast to ourselves. The fact is there are no other races with distinctly human abilities (like advanced language, advanced tool-making, culture and history). We can only speculate what 'demihumans' would be like. According to 2e, demihumans really were these narrowminded species that were rigid and stuck to a few classes. Not so in 3e. And really, how you flavor them is entirely up to you.

Think of it like this, the default rule is that no creature is adaptable enough to be able to learn an entirely new set of skills after reaching maturation/adulthood. Humans have a unique racial trait called "adaptability" that allows them to learn an entirely new set of skills after reaching adulthood.

The only problem I have with that is its narrow-minded 2e flavor. 2e had things like racial classes, racial level caps, and differing exp tables to balance the various characters. In 3e adventurers have a unique adventuring trait called "adaptability" that allows them to learn an entirely new set of skills whenever they want and barring some alignment restriction, everyone can be everything.

I think you mean draconian. There is nothing necessarily dragonlike about disallowing one to learn a new set of skills. :)

Quite right ;)

And for the record, most people who learn a trade or develop a skill do that or some variation thereof for the rest of their lives. At 27, you are still pretty young. However, at 37, the prospect of changing careers again will probably seem distasteful to you. Lots of people hold several different jobs in their lifetime before they are 40. But most people stick to the same kind of work regardless of who employs them. It is because of the relative inability of human adults to learn new things relative to human children. Those who don't do the same kind of work most of their lives are the exception, not the rule.

I only want to know whether adventurers constitute the exception or the rule in your campaign. I'm fine with 90% of the people in a given campaign being boring and relatively not-multiclassed (or heck, classed with PHB classes at all). However, the whole point of playing a role-playing game is to take on a role and play it for fun. The rules and numbers just provide a system in which to adjucate various situations.

You see, this is exactly where the powergamer comes out. First of all, I doubt you were really never casting spells unless this was a world where magic was rare or frowned upon. But if that was the case, why was the DM letting you play a mage anyway.

OK, you weren't there. You're free to guess at however you think the game went, but when I say I didn't cast many spells, I mean in a given day I didn't have to memorize new spells because I usually only cast 1 spell a day (Mage Armor). In social situations I tried to be funny. I was playing a Chaotic Neutral character with a bunch of friends that were also playing somewhat a-typical heroes. We were rather mercenary about going about our adventuring, usually insisting on some form of payment up front. My character in particular was maddening about his contributions - after he dealt with 1/4 of the problems (mostly in combat) he would provide minimal effort to help the party (unless things were going badly).

And 1st level wizards dont get that many spells at 1st level anyway. I didn't take a familiar, planning on getting improved familiar at some point (we were playing with the then-just-released Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting).

Second of all, the reason you took rogue levels instead of putting cross-class ranks into Hide and Move Silently is because you were powergaming, either subconsciously or consciously. You decided that Hide and Move Silently were valuable skills so you decided you had to max them out. Getting sneak attack, a boost to Reflex, and an extra hp or two probably didn't hurt the decision either. Being a wizard who knows how to use those skills doesn't make you any less a wizard, but neither does it make you a rogue. From your description, there is no good reason you couldn't have simply taken cross-class ranks other than powergaming. Did your wizard join a thieves guild and spend several years developing his talent at stealth? The rogue did, what makes your wizard so special that he can just pick up a new class without training? If I go spend all night sneaking around your house I would be rolling a lot of Hide/Move Silently checks, but that would not mean I was suddenly better at doing so. I would have to study up on it, either by reading or learning from masters. And then I would have to put it in practice against many individuals. I doubt your wizards, who most likely rolled 5-10 such checks before taking a rogue level, have anything resembling the type of training a rogue went through. What you describe is not a viable excuse for taking rogue levels, it is a good reason to consider putting a few ranks in Hide and Move Silently. That, along with investing in a good Dex and some beneficial magic items will make you almost as good as a rogue, but then again, you weren't supposed to be just as good as a rogue in the first place. You spent years of your life training to be a wizard, not a rogue.

Whoa, thats a giant paragraph. First, I don't appreciate being called a power-gamer. I consider myself a smart-gamer, but I play for the joy of playing a role, not the joy of getting the highest numbers. My elven wizard at level 1 bought a monk's outfit and did not go around advertising he was a wizard. He wasn't particularly proud of it and had left his elven wizard college, family, and friends to go adventuring. He shaved his head and learned to get by in the wild, and managed to craft his own clothing.

As I said earlier, my characters often grow organically. The party at that time did not have a rogue (especially one that spent years and years practicing before he got level 1). My character was often hiding in shadows and generally slinking about. I was using my bow more often than my magic. I had a decent dexterity and had been thinking of taking Point Blank Shot as my third-level feat. The DM suggested I look into taking a level of rogue, based on my character's actions he felt it would be appropriate. In fact, he thought I wasn't practicing my wizard skill set enough to reasonably advance as a wizard, seeing as I wasn't interested in acquiring new spellbooks (in fact, over the course of the character's career 1-8, I didn't learn a single spell except by advancing as a wizard). I also never ended up maxing hide and move silently, eventually feeling he had reached a reasonable level of skulking - good enough to fool saps, not good enough to get by without spells. Eventually the character ended up eschewing all weapons save magic (another radical shift from his archery days).

Now, based on how the character was turning out in-game, I decided to take the rogue levels. As I've said, if I wanted to make a rogue-wizard, it would have behooved me to take the rogue level first. But I didnt know what my character was going to do when I rolled some dice and came up with a backstory. All I knew is I wanted to play an elven male with a high intelligence who had come from a family line steeped in wizardry. And he was good at wizardry, but he didn't particularly care that he was good at it. It was just that kind of character.

If you took rogue levels after several levels of taking cross-class ranks in sneaky skills, roleplayed joining a thieves guild, and did several in-character training missions with them, I would be less inclined to decry your multiclassing as pure powergaming. But since you indicated nothing of the sort as your reason, rather stating the reason was because you were using Hide and Move Silently, it can then be inferred that your choice was motivated primarily by the desire to be more powerful regarding stealth. Besides all that, the more rational decision for a wizard who wants to be stealthy is to craft a pair of boots of elvenkind and cast invisibility on himself.

As I said, I had taken hide and move silently cross-classed at 1st level. Combined with a decent dexterity score and the nature of low-level adventuring, I wasn't getting seen too often. Had there been a feat called "Sneaky" I likely would have taken that. I never joined a thieve's guild. Being an intelligent elf, I simply got a few simple traps and a thieve's kit (which did require a side-mission) and taught myself. My desire, as a player, was to correctly project my character, which was acting like a rogue. Why then, could my multiclassing be considered powergaming? Or, a better question, how does ANYONE multiclass? The fact that we can both agree that waiting for more wizard levels, learning Invisibility and getting some Boots of Elvenkind is a better choice makes it seem more metagamey, and thus more power-gamey than what I did.
And this brings up one more thing that I want to address. As I've said before, most classes are front-loaded. Take a level of wizard and get a full spellbook plus Scribe Scroll and +2 to your Will saves! Take a level of rogue and get lots of skill points, +1d6 sneak attack, +2 to Reflex, and the ability to spot traps, not to mention weapon and armor proficiencies. Take a level of barbarian and get rage, fast movement, weapon proficiencies, a decent number of skills for a fighting class, +2 Fort and great hp. How could any fighter or ranger pass up just one level of barbarian? The reason it is assumed your character spent several years developing this front-loaded abilities is because it should take several years to learn this kind of stuff. I actually have little problem letting a player play a gestalt character with an XP penalty to keep him a few levels lower than everyone else if the player wants to play a multiclass character since it makes sense that the character spent those formative years studying his vocations. But it does not make sense that a barbarian who spent his life in the wild suddenly discovers not only how to read and write, but masters 1st level magical spells.

Fair enough. I don't think multiclassing should be allowed with no questions asked or anything (barbarian toxa wizard, for emple, would require quite a bit of explaining. But honestly, upon just a few moments of reflection, seems like a very interesting character to role-play - along the lines of Martin Eden, if you're familiar with Jack London, who went from a happy-go-lucky sailor to a tormented scholar). However I'm against being put in a box with my characters. I've played monks who acted like bards (obviously without numerical bonuses) and most recently a druid who acts like a monk. Since my character isnt walking around in-game with a sheet of statistics strapped to his forehead, I dont appreciate anyone referring to them by class names. Call me by my character's name, not 'hey wizard'.

Here's some hard data for you. A fighter 4/barbarian 1 is superior to a fighter 5 in EVERY way. Go figure that one out. Most classes have arguably similar situations.

Yes, evaluated in a vaccum. But at 6th level the fighter gets an extra feat the hybrid fighter/barb doesnt (and does the hybrid get another level of bard for the +10 movement? After all, it only applies when lightly armored...). And the fighter/barb can only rage 1/day, and is winded afterwards. If he doesnt time the rage correctly it could be a distinct disadvantage in a prolonged encounter (or an encounter in which the enemy has reinforcements). As I pointed out, the rifts become larger the higher level you evaluate them (which is assuming you are actually playing d&d, not just doing numbers-speculation). At 8th level the fighter can get Greater Weapon Focus and thus have a higher-chance to hit than the hybrid (when he's not in his one rage per day). You could point out the differing saves as levels increase (for instance, our Fighter 6 has a base 5/2/2 compared to the Ftr4/Brb2's 7/1/1). Eventually the barbarian catches up in saving throws, and always has a fortitude advantage, but its not really something to change the game about, imo.

Especially concerning multiclassing spellcasters I think you would be hard put to find an example using core rules in which a multiclassed spellcaster has a distinct advantage over the single-class version.

green slime

First Post
I really detest the direction PrC's take characters. PrC's far, far too often offer power increase well above that offered by level dipping into another base class, or that gained by continuing in a base class.

Drowbane

First Post
My 2e group reversed how DualClassing / Multiclassing worked. Demi Races are typically longer lived than Humans and thus can spend the time Dual Classing... while shorter lived humans tend to want everything *now*

After ditching Multiclass XP penalities and multiclass restrictions (monk, paladin, etc), I vastly prefer 3e's Multiclassing rules.

StGabe

First Post
airwalkrr said:
Why does a cat-haunted rogue need levels of sorcerer?

At this point I'm wondering if you're even reading what I'm writing because I clearly laid out this character concept: he was a character whose family had been haunted by and aided by cat spirits for some time. The result was not only a familiar but a number of "cattish" spell-casting abilities such as feather fall and expeditious retreat. He mixed rogue with sorceror for the first 4 levels and then switched to full rogue. Overall he was probably the best roleplayed character in the group and slightly below the average power level of the group.

It was a great use of 3e's multiclassing and something that your system doesn't allow for. This is the sort of roleplaying and character expression you can get if you let the system work.

If you bring a complicated character concept to me and tell me you want to have it all, I am likely to tell you that you will have to wait awhile if the campaign is starting at 1st level. 1st level characters are neophytes, newbies, novices.

First of all, that's fine, and you seem to be doing exactly what I'm suggesting: talking with your players about their class choices.

Secondly, the character didn't "have it all". Like I said, he was slightly below average powerwise in the group.

He traded:
2 levels of sneak attack progression
+1/2 BAB
2 levels of 1d6 hit die
Light Armor
12 skill points

For:
A familiar
A number of low power spells with situational usefulness

And that's a great sort of trade-off and exactly the sort of thing that the 3d rules are great for. Far from being powergamerish he actually sacrificed a bit of power overall in order to get a great character concept rolling.

And yea, I strongly prefer making guidelines ahead of time and treating every player the same as opposed to making individual judgments and treating players differently.

I don't get this. First of all, you can express your intent to the players off the bat and use the same intent in judging all of their characters. Secondly, how can you DM without making individual judgements? Every time a player wants to use a skill in a slightly non-standard way, every time a player tries to roleplay a conversation, you have to make a judgement. This is no different. Using the crappy 2e rules because you don't want to have to make judgement calls about the more flexible 3e rules is, IMO, like saying that no one can ever use a skill in a way that isn't explicitly described in the book or never roleplaying encounters and just using straight up diplomacy rolls to determine everything. In the end you are just closing off a lot of the game and a lot of roleplaying possibilities.

Yeah, I just don't get this statement in combination with your expressed wish for increased roleplay. Having a level of wizard just means that you have certain abilities and if you have an interesting, well-roleplayed character concept that includes these abilities then I fail to see what the problem is.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads