• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) No, probably the 2024 DMG will not change its internal structure

Alby87

Adventurer
Hi all!

I was reading the new Mordenkainen's book. The Wastrilith lore text speak about the corruption it give to people drinking poisoned waters. To gave a table of the effect, they tell us to use the Abyssal Corruption table in chapter 2 of the DMG. Because this book is written with the 2024 version in mind, they are telling us that the second chapter ("Creating a multiverse") will still be the second chapter (or an errata will be issued...).

So, if the DMG organization it's one of your problem, you'll have to deal with it for a long time.

(just my 2 CP)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hi all!

I was reading the new Mordenkainen's book. The Wastrilith lore text speak about the corruption it give to people drinking poisoned waters. To gave a table of the effect, they tell us to use the Abyssal Corruption table in chapter 2 of the DMG. Because this book is written with the 2024 version in mind, they are telling us that the second chapter ("Creating a multiverse") will still be the second chapter (or an errata will be issued...).

So, if the DMG organization it's one of your problem, you'll have to deal with it for a long time.

(just my 2 CP)
Interesting point. I think they can radically improve the DMG without invalidating those sorts of pointers in extant books, since the direction is very general, to the Chapter. But I do expect the 50th Anniversary Edition to be very conservative.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They’re not writing current books with the layout of an as-yet unmade future book in mind. The 5.5 DMG is two years away. They’re still doing playtest stuff for 5.5.
Well, they're maintaining that the books they are putting out now are meant to work past 2024.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think you’re reading too much into that.
I'm not the OP.
I don't think "one section is being referenced incorrectly" makes the books "not work past 2024". It's just a reference that doesn't work. The core mechanics of the game still do. I think this thread is jumping to conclusions.
Mayb, maybe not. The recent round of Subclass tests imply to me that the 2024 revision will be backwards compatible on the Class level, so we are looking at an overall extremely conservative and careful change.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads