D&D 5E Nobody Is Playing High Level Characters

According to stats from D&D Beyond, above 5th level characters start to drop off sharply, and above 10th level, the figures are very low. The exception is level 20, which looks like it's probably people creating experimental 20th-level builds. Some of them say 0%; this isn't strictly accurate, but levels 16-19 are used by an insignificant number of players. Interestingly, there are more...

According to stats from D&D Beyond, above 5th level characters start to drop off sharply, and above 10th level, the figures are very low. The exception is level 20, which looks like it's probably people creating experimental 20th-level builds.

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 2.16.41 PM.png

Some of them say 0%; this isn't strictly accurate, but levels 16-19 are used by an insignificant number of players. Interestingly, there are more 3rd-5th level characters than there are 1st-2nd level.

D&D Beyond has said before that under 10% of games make it past 10th level, but these figures show the break point as being bit lower than that. DDB used over 30 million characters to compile these stats.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I’m pretty close to giving up on 5e because it only rewards mechanical optimization. Players pick options for all the powers they grant and the mechanical doo-dads they provide.
That’s not a system problem. That’s a player problem or a DM problem.
I agree with Anoth (I'm inclined to say player problem) ... and furthermore, if you think 5E rewards mechanical optimization, you should see 3.5.

Anoth

Adventurer
I really think it’s just that people DM’s don’t have the skill to run high level games. You really have to understand the system and the magic system and how abilities interact. I remember so much complaining about teleport in early editions. If you can’t figure out at a minimum how to run a game with a wizard that can teleport 7 times a day then high level just is not for you. Same with divination spells. That’s what high level people do.

dave2008

Legend
The implication made in the original post was that they were being made merely to see how you could build a 20th-level characters. That's what I'd call a "test character". Any character that actually gets played, is, to me, just "a character". Obviously this is totally subjective. :)
I can understand that, but to me a character needs development. More than one adventure at least.

Tallifer

Hero
I really think it’s just that people DM’s don’t have the skill to run high level games. You really have to understand the system and the magic system and how abilities interact. I remember so much complaining about teleport in early editions. If you can’t figure out at a minimum how to run a game with a wizard that can teleport 7 times a day then high level just is not for you. Same with divination spells. That’s what high level people do.

This is why I have slowed my group's XP progression. They finally reached 9th level after 74 sessions. The stories and the infinite variety of opponents keep the game interesting without constantly levelling up.

ChaosOS

Legend
And thus the rub - if you want a game with depth, you have to play a spellcaster. Even Battlemaster up until the new alternate features UA just didn't have enough options for new maneuvers to be compelling.

Oofta

Legend
And thus the rub - if you want a game with depth, you have to play a spellcaster. Even Battlemaster up until the new alternate features UA just didn't have enough options for new maneuvers to be compelling.
Depends on why you play. I enjoyed playing a BDF in my last campaign because I usually DM and I was really stressed out at work at the time. Turning that switch to my brain off for a few hours was a blessing.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I really think it’s just that people DM’s don’t have the skill to run high level games.
That's no different from saying the game doesn't work at high level

And thus the rub - if you want a game with depth, you have to play a spellcaster.
In recognition thereof, all the classes, and 35 out of 40 off the sub-classes, in the PH can cast spells.
So, if you don't want depth, you have to hunt up a build that eschews it, like Champion.

Remove ads

Remove ads