• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nominate the third inductee into the RPG Hall of Fame!

Janx

Hero
Given that they're inducting one guy a month (which seems fast), I would think the first people in should be the first major contributors to the scene. i.e. all the old guys from the old games first.

We can't be doing Monte Cook and Ryan Dancey before hit the big contributors to RPGs in the early days.

Shadowsmith

Explorer
Another I would like to see honored is Tom Moldvay. He put out a number of excellent adventures for D&D, did the first revision of the Basic D&D set, and wrote Lords of Creation. He is likely best known for X-1 The Isle of Dread adventure released with the Expert D&D set.

the Jester

Legend
I'd say Erol Otus. The man drips weird fantasy all over the genre.

Also, I agree that 1/month is a rapid rate of induction- I suppose it is sustainable for a while, but after a year or so we're going to be discussing much lesser luminaries.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'd say Erol Otus. The man drips weird fantasy all over the genre.

Also, I agree that 1/month is a rapid rate of induction- I suppose it is sustainable for a while, but after a year or so we're going to be discussing much lesser luminaries.

Out of curiousity, which are the 12 people you consider deserving?

the Jester

Legend
Out of curiousity, which are the 12 people you consider deserving?

I don't have a specific list, nor is an even dozen a solid figure. I just feel that for Hall of Fame status, you need to be one of the most influential people in the industry, and I don't see there being too many of them. For instance, while I love Len Lakofka's work, I wouldn't put him in there. He just doesn't feel like he had enough impact to me.

Just my opinion.

That said, a few names I do think deserve the nod include Monte Cook, Steve Jackson, Ed Greenwood (this despite my personal dislike of much of his work) and Ryan Dancy (the OGL really deserves acknowledging IMHO).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't have a specific list, nor is an even dozen a solid figure. I just feel that for Hall of Fame status, you need to be one of the most influential people in the industry, and I don't see there being too many of them. For instance, while I love Len Lakofka's work, I wouldn't put him in there. He just doesn't feel like he had enough impact to me.

Just my opinion.

That said, a few names I do think deserve the nod include Monte Cook, Steve Jackson, Ed Greenwood (this despite my personal dislike of much of his work) and Ryan Dancy (the OGL really deserves acknowledging IMHO).

I'd liken it more to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Everyone ends up there - eventually. Just gotta wait your turn!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads