• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Non-Euclidean Geometry in 4E?

BryonD

Hero
Hussar said:
3e is full of all sorts of wonkiness. It is not more realistic. It is just as abstract.
It is far closer to realistic.

All of the issues you list fall within the understood 6% error and are easily handwaved by an remotely decent DM. Which gets back to the contradiction of the entire pro-1/1/1 position. It seems they can completely ignore 40% error without a pause by saying it is abstract and yet at the same time are wholey incapable of accepting that a huge creature doesn't have to squeeze down a 15 foot hall just because it happens to be drawn on a diagonal.

You are swallowing 4E camels and claiming to choke on 3E gnats.

And again, all the examples come down to refusing to accept that they involve actions over time and are abstractions which cover a range of things which are all possible. That is compeltely different than 10 ft = 14 ft which is flat out not in the realm of possible.

BryonD

Hero
Hussar said:
You can reach 15 feet on the diagonal, but only 10 feet on the orthagonal.
Try this experiment:
Go out and draw a real 5 foot grid on the ground somewhere. Now have a buddy stand in one sqaure and see if he can reach into squares two away from him on a diaonal using a 10 foot stick. You will find that by moving around in a single square he can reach all the sqaures that a D&D character could attack. Measure your stick again and you will find that it has not magically or wonkily grown.

Now put a remote control car in a square in line with your grid and test its speed. Now turn it 45 degrees and re-test its speed. You will find that turning it 45 degrees does not make it go faster.

[*]You cannot actually fall down a 5 foot diameter round hole. (as delricho pointed out)
I'm sorry, but that is just bad DMing.

[*]If I move 20 feet in one round on the diagonal (3 diagonal squares), how many feet do I have to move to move one more diagonal in the next round? Prove it with rules quotes.
According to the rules you can move 1/2/1 to end a round and then start with 1/2/1 again the next round. This is the maximum possible error you can produce. If people are using this as an exploit then your game will suck no matter what rules you use.

But even this example involves less than a full round of action so the element of time is blurry, adding more uncertainty as opposed to more objective error. And 1/2/1/1/2/1 is still less added error than 1/1/1/1/1/1. And it doesn't screw with cones, ranges, or other game elements. So your extreme worst case rare scenario is still a lot better than the constant scenario of 4e.

Hussar

Legend
Meh, the difference is 2 squares. See, that sounds a lot better than FORTY PER CENT doesn't it? You're getting this upset over 2 squares of movement. And, not 2 squares every round. Only on rounds when someone moves their entire movement on the diagonal.

Yeah, GR was right. This just isn't going to convince anyone. When people have gotten a bee in their bonnet to the point of changing their sig, it's time for me to bow out.

To me, this is a total non-issue. It will come up so rarely that it's not a big deal. I could live with the 1-2-1 thing as well. Did so for a long time. But, apparently I have not woven this tightly enough into the fabric of my existence.

Good points all.

BryonD

Hero
Hussar said:
Meh, the difference is 2 squares. See, that sounds a lot better than FORTY PER CENT doesn't it?
But it IS 40%.

To me, this is a total non-issue. It will come up so rarely that it's not a big deal. I could live with the 1-2-1 thing as well. Did so for a long time. But, apparently I have not woven this tightly enough into the fabric of my existence.

Good points all.
Cool.

HeinorNY

First Post
Hussar said:
Meh, the difference is 2 squares.
Two squares or 40% can be the difference between attacking this round or having to wait to the next one. Considering that actions will be a valuable currency in 4E, some players won't think twice when they can squeeze some movement from a flawed rule.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Lackhand said:
So like I said, you allow the monster to either rotate the grid freely, or align the grid to the walls of the area the monster is in, you just don't think of it that way.

Just to clarify...I didn't rotate the grid, or allow the monster to do so. I included the grid in the red area in order to show that the area is the same size in both pictures without forcing people to get out the ruler and try to measure it out on the screen. The area is, in both pictures, 15 feet = 3 inches square. That's the only reason why I included the grid in the red area. :)

I mean, the monster's not in any squares; you can tell by the way it's all diagonal and stuff that any squares it occupies are completely coincidental to the way you're making rulings on it.

Not coincidental at all. The monster's combat area is 15'x15'. Translated down to "battlemap units", that's 3 squares by 3 squares in the orthogonal, or 2 squares by 2 squares in the diagonal. It's exactly as I get it from the RAW. The basic point is that the combat area itself is not fundamentally measured in squares, but in feet, and then translated down onto the battlemap according to the DMG rules.

Because of this, you're not even using the 1-2-1-2 abstraction, you're using a euclidean distance metric directly and rounding off the difference. The difference between the two comes only on the diagonals and rotations; you permit them, RAW doesn't. They really do force a huge creature to squeeze in that corridor because there really isn't facing in the rules.

That's the point of the 1-2-1-2 rules. They are trying to abstract euclidean properties of space into a grid of 5' squares. I CAN use the euclidean metric directly and round the difference because that IS what the 3.X rules are made for. :)
I do agree though that I'm not sure about the turning of monsters. There IS facing and turning, but directly only in the Flight Maneuverability rules. Facing because turning in X° only works when you turn from a primary direction that you are moving in, which is usually "Forward". But those rules don't apply to ground movement, and surprisingly enough not to swimming either. On the other hand, nothing forbids me from using those rules for ground movement or swimming either, at least nothing in the RAW, since that says maneuverability can cover all movement in 3D.
But I'd agree that the bend in the corridor would be to tight for a 15'x15' gelatineous cube to turn easily. :lol:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, but it isn't RAW, and while it's slightly further from the Rules as they Shall Be Writ, meh. I'm contemplating, if and when I run 4E games, dropping the grid entirely and playing freeform, measured string and all, or even trying to cook up some abstracted movement rules.

We'll see. I'm VERY MUCH a fan of 1-1-1-1 because it's simpler; these kinds of brainteasers can destroy any sufficiently playable abstraction ( :) ) because I have a very low tolerance for what's necessary in "necessary complexity" in a game that isn't chess or played anything like it. The less "board game" in my D&D, the happier.

The only part where I disagree is about it not being RAW, but that's because we have a different view of what we can get out of the RAW in context with the question. As for the rest, I perfectly agree. As I mentioned, I usually don't play with battlemap and minis at all, so this discussion is, for me, more about the weird consequences that the 1-1-1-1 ruling will create either way, in my eyes, and because I think those are a too high price to pay for simplifying the mini-subgame of D&D battlemap combat. :)

I have to admit, I think this is the kind of discussion topic that would be a lot more interesting, easier and more fun when done in person, with proper props and rulebooks on hand, and some quality drinks on the side. :)

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Hussar said:
By the rules, yes, it is. A mini has a square base. Even in the pictures in the PHB, they have square bases. The rules state that they have square bases.
The rules don't say anything about minis. They say that a Huge creature takes up a 15 foot wide space.

Lackhand

First Post
Geron Raveneye said:
Just to clarify...I didn't rotate the grid, or allow the monster to do so.
So the monster was orthogonal to the presented grid? I mean, I don't mind that you had rotations there, but the grid that the monster was playing on wasn't the same grid as the rest of the players were.

Geron Raveneye said:
Not coincidental at all. The monster's combat area is 15'x15'. Translated down to "battlemap units", that's 3 squares by 3 squares in the orthogonal, or 2 squares by 2 squares in the diagonal.
Which is, of course, a 2x2 square. Ow, my brain. :)

Geron Raveneye said:
I have to admit, I think this is the kind of discussion topic that would be a lot more interesting, easier and more fun when done in person, with proper props and rulebooks on hand, and some quality drinks on the side. :)
AMEN! If it helps, I'm eating cookies and drinking cider, so I've got my end covered. Catch up! Chop chop!

I don't care much about the subject, honestly; I agree that 1-2-1-2 is an excellent abstraction that hews closely to regular euclidean space. I just think you need to be prepared to bend/fold/spindle/mutilate it to use it well, and this is true of any grid used.

Because of my buddha-like detachment, I enjoy the 1-1-1-1, because I just can't be bothered. I think ideal solution for everyone would have been to have orthogonal movement cost 2, diagonal movement cost 3, and for humans to have a speed of 12, not 6.

Voila!

Delta

First Post
Lackhand said:
I think ideal solution for everyone would have been to have orthogonal movement cost 2, diagonal movement cost 3, and for humans to have a speed of 12, not 6.

Tada! I give you 1E. :)

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Lackhand said:
So the monster was orthogonal to the presented grid? I mean, I don't mind that you had rotations there, but the grid that the monster was playing on wasn't the same grid as the rest of the players were.

In the first picture? Yes, the monster, or rather its area of combat control is orthogonal to the grid (meaning the illustrative measuring grid in the red area is aligned with the grid of the battlemap). In the second picture, the area is diagonal to the grid of the battlemap. The grid of the battlemap is the one both monsters and characters would use to measure movement and areas of special effects with.

Which is, of course, a 2x2 square. Ow, my brain. :)

Yep, a square 2 diagonals (= 3 squares) by 2 diagonals (3 squares). In this case, it would have been more helpful of me to leave the grey grid out of the red area, and make the red transparent, so the battlemap was visible. The measurable area is the same, I just wanted easy visual confirmation of the size of the red area. :)
Need some aspirin? I got some here somewhere for occasions like this. ;)

AMEN! If it helps, I'm eating cookies and drinking cider, so I've got my end covered. Catch up! Chop chop!

I don't care much about the subject, honestly; I agree that 1-2-1-2 is an excellent abstraction that hews closely to regular euclidean space. I just think you need to be prepared to bend/fold/spindle/mutilate it to use it well, and this is true of any grid used.

Because of my buddha-like detachment, I enjoy the 1-1-1-1, because I just can't be bothered. I think ideal solution for everyone would have been to have orthogonal movement cost 2, diagonal movement cost 3, and for humans to have a speed of 12, not 6.

Voila!

Great solution, I'd go along with it easily. I'd also accept a "no grid" solution as easily. And I CERTAINLY accept the cookie challenge. :lol: Mmmmmh, cookies... :D

Remove ads